Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just Joined the Club (Finally!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking car. It's a great feeling to finally achieve a dream isn't it?
Old 11-08-2008, 02:12 PM
jpyles
Instructor

Congrats on your purchase! I would also choose a flying colors PPI car with cosmetic issues over a shiny car with mechanical problems.

In what shape is the interior? I have Linen too, and I'm trying to build up the courage to try a DIY leather redye of some pieces.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:38 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

This is one of the reasons I love this board; not only is it a great resource for Porsche owners and prospective owners (like I was until yesterday), but everyone shares the happiness of others who finally realize their dreams. That's what this is for me; a dream to acquire the car I've wanted since I was in college and it's nice to have a whole group of enthusiasts join in the excitement.

To answer some comments:
- The car didn't really have cosmetic issues, and is in fantastic shape as it sits. It just hadn't been thoroughly cleaned in awhile and has some swirlmarks in the paint that I want to make go away. I did the interior this morning and, while I got a ton of dirt off the surfaces, it doesn't look that much better than it did before I attacked it. Tomorrow, she gets the exterior treatment with the buffer and some nice P21 wax.

- I live in York, PA so I've only got another 3-4 weeks max to drive the car, then she goes into storage for what will, as noted by others, feel like an eternity. I'm starting a new job in Richmond, VA on December 1 which will help occupy my time quite a bit so I'm hoping spring will come quickly.

- Because I won't have long with the car before I have to store it, there will be no mods (except maybe a gas pedal so I can heel/toe) until spring. I'd rather spend a Saturday afternoon driving the car than on a project at this stage.

- Yes, I've met some interesting characters like Tim Holt, Richard Sloan, and a number of strange Porsche owners looking to sell their cars. I'd definitely do business with Tim again and would do business with Richard, if the opportunity presented itself. And I'd be remiss if I didn't thank Pete Z again for all of his help in the process. His book and advice have kept me sane and prevented me from making some costly mistakes.

Oh, and the bike isn't as close as it looks. Trust me, the garage will be 'ding proofed' in the next day or so.

Okay, I'm going back out in the garage and stare at it some more. I'll post more pics once the paint is up to my standard.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:33 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beautiful car!! Congratulations and welcome.

Originally Posted by jpyles
I have Linen too, and I'm trying to build up the courage to try a DIY leather redye of some pieces.
I redyed my Linen interior. Best move I ever made. It turned out beautiful.

The linen had deteriorated to a grey/yellowish tone. I didn't realize that until I dyed it back to original. WOW... it transformed the car. Made it look brand new inside.

I used Leatherique. (note: They screwed up and sent me the wrong set of instructions and it resulted in a lot of extra work and aggrevation... otherwise I would be singing their praises without hesitation. As for the product, it works great and I will recommend it despite the fact that their customer service in my particular incident was quite frustrating).
Old 11-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Steely
Instructor

Congrats and best of luck - sorry you have to prep her for winter, I know the feeling and am dragging my feet in case we stay a little warm a bit longer. Is Tim from Holts in W. Chester? - they had a load of eye candy whenever i looked, and they seem to have a good rep - I'm not too far NE of them, state-wise that is. And I love the color combo too, I am a bit partial to blue. Good luck in Va. (store it down there why doncha?)
Old 11-08-2008, 10:52 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Originally Posted by Steely
Is Tim from Holts in W. Chester?

Good luck in Va. (store it down there why doncha?)
Yes, Tim as in Tim Holt. He does have some nice cars and mine certainly seems representative of why he's earned a decent reputation.

I'd store it in VA except I don't even have a home there yet so no place to store it. I hate the idea of leaving it here; even if it's off the road, I could still go out and admire the beauty.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:33 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and congrats on you new toy.
Great color combo.
Mine is Venetian Blue with light gray interior.
I've been taking it out more often as of late because I know pretty soon it will be time to put her away for the season.

cheers
Old 11-08-2008, 11:37 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Lots of nice blue cars here. Seems to be a lot of people's fav color as well.

I think we need a blue 911 thread for those of us with like minds.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Glad to see you finally landed one. As to this talk about "storage", it seems like in lieu of doing that, it could actually make sure your nights or weekends have plenty to do by creating a list of projects to do this winter.

I've got a couple of things I want to do to mine, but there's no real good time to take her "offline" out here. Not that that is a bad thing...

Quick Reply: Just Joined the Club (Finally!!!)