Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

oil change - I am such a rookie sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:41 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
LOL! I don't know about that, but when I got banned I probably felt a lot like the cat in your avatar.
Did you really get banned Pete?
Old 11-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Did you really get banned Pete?
Yep. Randy thought my "Faith" thread was too out there or something, so he closed it. He really got pissed off when I did a new thread that pointed out that I didn't call anyone a backward looking hate mongerer (PTpeecar did), and asked if that guy was also disciplined. I stated that selective censorship was a dangerous thing.

I got a 10-point infraction (sounds like grade school, doesn't it?) and about a one-week ban.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:48 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pete, You're joking right? Randy wouldn't have banned you?????? Knowing who you are??? That would be like banning Batman from the Batmobile
Old 11-06-2008, 12:14 AM
Brads911sc
Racer

Thats funny Clive. Glad you got it cleaned up.. my rookie mistake was when I put in 2 quarts too much and decided to drain out the two quarts at full operating temperature... in the pan that already had 11 quarts in it... well... im sure you can imagine that mess... there was no way to get that plug back in there with the hot oil streaming out... all i could do was watch it overflow the pan... damn....what a mess...
Old 11-06-2008, 12:25 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smshirk
Pete, You're joking right? Randy wouldn't have banned you?????? Knowing who you are??? That would be like banning Batman from the Batmobile
LOL!! THANK YOU! It's only OT, and I still have you guys, so it's OK - for now...

Old 11-06-2008, 12:32 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,108 Likes on 792 Posts

Thats too funny brad , I did something similar once and tried to put the plug back in , the oil filled up my sleeve between my winter coat and my arm . the oil ran down the inside of the coat all the way down. At least it was warm ...... YUK !!!!
Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

So I have to ask Clive, did you put on the oil filter clockwise or counter clockwise?

Speaking of exxon valdez spills I got a good quart of brake fluid in my hair, shirt, face..etc when I was trying to tighten the bleed screw on the slave cylinder. What a bastard. I had to take a 'shower' in the wash sink at the auto club and use hand cleaner to wash my hair. I also had to throw out my perfectly good $2, 2yr old walmart shirt. GRRRRR. All I have to say is thank God I was wearing saftey glasses, I made it a habit a couple years ago to always wear them when I am doing work on my car, at the rifle range, bushwacking in the dark...etc. I hope others on here wear them as well when working on their cars.

-matt
Old 11-06-2008, 09:08 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

LOL!! THANK YOU! It's only OT, and I still have you guys, so it's OK - for now...

It looks to me like a bunch of threads were removed and you must have been amongst a few people banned. There were some pretty racy threads to say the least and a ton of unintelligent and ignorant comments among the really good ones. Randy must have had his hands full trying to decided what was appropriate and what wasn't. Oh well, he is probably not an expert on first amendment rights and probably made some really good and some marginal calls.

Now back to the show: you guys and your oil slicks are making me laugh. I have note changed my own oil as everytime I decide to do it, something goes wrong on the car and I take it to the mechanic. While there, he changes the oil. I do however, have a garage full of all the tools and catch basins, etc. to perform the job. Oops, I need to add a ton of rags to my list...lol
Old 11-06-2008, 10:40 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Two thoughts regarding oil changes: (1) Run the engine until it's warm, then drain, or (2) Place the car where it will have the oil drained, and leave it sit for at least an hour (overnight is best).

The pitfalls of each: (1) The oil will come out extremely fast, too fast for a lot of Pep Boys/AutoZone/Wal-Mart type catch basins. A mess is almost guaranteed, and if you leave the engine on a little too long you can burn yourself. (2) Time is your friend, so is having two basins. Remove both drain plugs and walk away for about a half an hour. #1 & #2 are equally effective.

If you like to live dangerous drain the oil HOT. You might get another .5 quart out - not worth it!

For each method having a garage TV that gets "Speed" always helps!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:06 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Randy thought my "Faith" thread was too out there or something, so he closed it. He really got pissed off when I did a new thread that pointed out that I didn't call anyone a backward looking hate mongerer (PTpeecar did), and asked if that guy was also disciplined. I stated that selective censorship was a dangerous thing.

I got a 10-point infraction (sounds like grade school, doesn't it?) and about a one-week ban.
I can't help but wonder of the "Faith" thread content,,,,clearly it's not there for "review"....I missed it....but, nonetheless, curious ( a nutshell will do....)?

Surely, Z-man wasn't mixing Porsche with religion? (Although they are a bit the same, essentially.....?............?..............?)

...now, praying for repair is another thing.

Best,

Doyle

Best,

Doyle
Old 11-07-2008, 11:05 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dshepp806
I can't help but wonder of the "Faith" thread content,,,,clearly it's not there for "review"....I missed it....but, nonetheless, curious ( a nutshell will do....)?
Doyle: I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place here. I have still not received anything on the record, from Moderator Randy or any other member of the Rennlist family, regarding what offense that I committed that warranted a ban, with references to this rule or that rule.

Based on the seemingly arbitrary nature of these thread closures and bans, until I'm able to collect more information my hands are tied. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:50 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Doyle: I'm kind of between a rock and a hard place here. I have still not received anything on the record, from Moderator Randy or any other member of the Rennlist family, regarding what offense that I committed that warranted a ban, with references to this rule or that rule.

Based on the seemingly arbitrary nature of these thread closures and bans, until I'm able to collect more information my hands are tied. Hopefully this will be resolved quickly.
If I'm not mistaken, you were banned a couple of days ago yet didn't I see a thread by you or maybe a response by you to a thread yesterday? (maybe I am mistaken). Is the ban done on the honor system or are they supposed to make that section unavailable to you?
Old 11-08-2008, 11:50 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Banned? Is this Russia? or China?

Quick Reply: oil change - I am such a rookie sometimes