Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Low Mileage 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jef3380
I found out from a source very familiar with Porsche 911 in the late eighties that the AC hoses should be replaced to eliminate a more or less annual R-12 recharge.
My 33,864 mile concours only 964 had it's A/C charge last for 17 years before it finally lost enough pressure that the compressor wouldn't kick on this spring. The A/C guy I use was just at my house last week and said only the compressor seal was leaking. The rest of the system was still without measureable leaks. At some point, you will have to replace all the A/C hoses just plain due to age. These are old cars and may need restoration even with low mileage, but there still is no need for hose replacement on my 964.

I just restored my 1984 911's A/C system. I dumped $2500 into the system and it blows 27 degree vent temps with no modifications from stock. So, you can get good A/C in an early 911 if the tech knows what he is doing and you do the proper work that is needed.

Also, the 964 gets driven maybe 200 to 300 miles a year. However, every time I take it out, I run it enough to get it completely warmed up (oil thermostat opens on each run) and I spin the A/C compressor regardless of outside temp. So, after 8 years of my ownership and minimal miles per year, the car still runs perfect, starts every time, and I've had no issues or unscheduled maintenance. Of course the oil still gets changed once a year, brake fluid flushed every 2-3 years and such. These are pretty robust cars, even if they sit a lot.

Hope this helps,

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2
Old 09-11-2008, 10:14 AM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Well, my pretty white 88 is growing dimmer by the moment. I asked a bunch of questions, including how long he's had the car, via email to the current owner and got the following response:

"I've put 1000 miles on it.

Selling it because I'm not a porsche guy.....got too good of deal to
pass it by from a friend of a friend. Looks great, but I don't
appreciate it. I'm a harley guy.

A/C, like most 80's carerras, sux.

I had two minor body blemishes taken care of that involved touch up
paint. The rest of the paint is original.

In 1500 miles, its burned zero oil."

That was it. He's looking for $28k for the car, which is an 88 with 40k miles on it. I guess I could talk with him via phone to try to get more info but, if he's not a Porsche guy, there is a very real chance he believes the car is worth $28k right now, which it's not, IMO, based on today's market. No wonder the car's been on the market for 4 months plus.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:45 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my '87 from the 3rd owner who only had it for a yr, drove it very little. apparently, it did not solve his marital problems. it did address some of my mental ones, though. has turned out to be a fine survivor.

I wouldn't give up on the car if it appealed to me. I would take time to trace the history via previous owners & dealers. meanwhile the car doesn't sell & the owner has an itch for more harleys (or divorce forces sale, etc etc.) - he realizes you are real & have cash (cash helps negotiate a deal sometimes, esp among harley owners), so your patience beats his desperation. in the last stages, get the PPI that further reveals deducts that can be useful to drive the price down (or warns you to walk), while scaring the owner that his wonderful 911 may actually be a costly pos.

best case, you get a lifelong keeper at an appropriate price / worse case, you become well educated in 911s & walk from a car/deal you don't want.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

He just sent me a note with additional info (such as he's really the third owner and not the second) and made an unsolicited comment that he's already turned down 4 offers of $26k.

While it's a nice car, I don't think it's a $28k car, especially in this market. $26k is about the number I had in mind, based upon what I've seen similar cars going for. And, considering the work I'd have to do to make it 'mine' (i.e. lower/corner balance, buy and paint a new rear decklid to remove the tail, etc.) it's just not worth it to me to have over $30k in the car.

He's noted that he got a good deal on it so it sounds like he either didn't or he thinks he can hang on to it and eventually sell it for full asking price. And he probably can at some point but he'll need the right buyer who really wants that particular car.

While I don't own a 911 yet, I'm fairly car savvy and have done a ton of investigation on the breed via this and other boards as well as Peter's book. I'm getting more educated by the day as I actively search for my hidden jewel.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:35 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

28K? That's a lot of coin. I am also quite curious how he knows it hasn't burned any oil in 1500K if he has only put 1000K on it. at 28K he is probably trying to get back exactly what he paid for it.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:50 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shaynes
You know I keep hearing about these time bombs, I have two sub 10k mile 80's 911"s and they are kept on battery chargers, and one every month or so they get run around town, with no leaks, cold air-well it is a 911 so not that cold but fine, and I do annual maintenance on them... They are kept in a climate controlled warehouse, and that is it... Each one of them has NO issues... or I would address them immediately, yet my mechanic does the routine maintenance and all it well. So either I am the exception or it is a matter of running them properly and maintaining them.. Time bombs? Maybe not.

Dibs on the '89 Speedster....
Old 09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he should've taken the $26K, if those are real offers. or, he can wait until the market reaches that # ("you can pay too soon, but you can't pay too much" approach to "collector" cars - if his car qualifies) - this is the way many owners who buy near the top but then decide to liquidate see things, esp if they don't factor in incidentals like insurance & the opportunity value of cash.

your cost analysis is spot on, imo. I would (& did!) consider a higher mileage survivor - these can be had closer to $20K. they have a different set of issues, of course. some are counter-intuitive, for instance, it may be easier to project future costs on a 70k-120k mi example because you have records of what has been done & can determine the condition of the valve guides, head studs, etc by examination & measurement. if lotsa std (& non-std) wear issues have been addressed, you may have 100k mi clear sailing vs 50k on a low mileage car. the more "used" a car is, the more it reveals the truth about itself. enjoy the hunt!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:43 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

The price is not that far off. One has to do a PPI(this will be your best negotiating tool), you physically should view the car(unless it's from a reputable source).

The market will sway some but not all. If you wait, a good deal may be had but keep in mind that because these are used(ahem..preown) cars. Selection is not always on the buyers side. I purchased an 89 Targa(tail less) a few months ago and I paid a premium for the low mileage(26xxx),mint inside/out, LSD,an excellent working AC. I then proceeded to have perform the 30k service, lowered and corner balance, bilstein sport shocks at all 4 corners, turbo tie rods, elephant racing strut tower and adjustable bump steer kit..oh and my lindsey fuchs. So with that said expect that you will need to probably spend more money on her(if certain items have not been carried out).

In the end one has to determine a budget for before and after purchase..These are great cars especially if well maintained.

Good luck with your search
Old 09-13-2008, 09:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,120 Likes on 802 Posts

you could by almost 3 of russels car for that. For 28K I'd be looking for a 996 !!!! hahahaha
Old 09-13-2008, 11:12 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
For 28K I'd be looking for a 996 !!!! hahahaha
A 996 would be something I would not consider if I were looking for an aircooled 80's 3.2 911. While some may not believe or even understand why the prices of these cars(3.2 911) are going up the proof is in the pudding. Just look at your 356 market..they're not cheap. For the most part you get what you pay for. what you don't spend now, you will down the road that is not to say that someone should spend foolishly. While the 911 and 996 are both considered 911's, truth is they are two very different automobiles. Comfort and speed would probaly go to the 996 but quality and that classic Porsche feel/look would go the the 3.2 911(no offense to 996 owners). In the end it is a personal choice.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:17 AM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 1988 911

RacerX1166

Are the last four digits of the VIN on the white 911 coupe 1688? If so, it was mine at one time and I know the ownership, maintenance and price history.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:24 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Originally Posted by SKM
RacerX1166

Are the last four digits of the VIN on the white 911 coupe 1688? If so, it was mine at one time and I know the ownership, maintenance and price history.
Last 4 are 1355 so it's a different car.

Here's the link in Autotrader.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ax_price=42500

He's had it for sale since at least late April so it either has issues or he simply is holding out for the full asking price. My guess is the latter as noted in my previous posts. Plus, with it's tough to get straight answers out of the guy. I asked how the a/c works and his response was 'it sux'. Who wants to sit and play 20 questions just to find out basic info on a car?

Planning on looking at this car at Holt next weekend. Couldn't do it this weekend because Tim wasn't around so no test drives.

http://www.holtmotorsports.com/inventory.php?vin=120960

Tim's asking price is $31k so I'd like to find out if he can come down to a more reasonable price on the car. I realize it's a rare color (thanks Jabsea) but I don't think it's a $31k vehicle.

Of course, the monkey wrench in the ointment is this car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/453963-held-out-as-long-as-possible-selling-my-93-c2.html

I'm having a hard time not being interested in such a beauty. My brain says that the 3.2 will be more desirable long term and probably less drain on the pocketbook to keep in fantastic running order but the C2 is such a beautiful car and I'm sure I'd enjoy the driving experience.

Thinking about flying to Tampa to look the C2 over but time is rapidly fleeting and I think I've got to be in Germany week after next.

If neither pan out, I'll just continue to keep my eyes open. Dealing with all of the whackos selling 3.2's has been a real experience. Doesn't anyone on this board want to part with their dark blue (I recall Porsche offered a metallic Navy as well) 88-89 3.2 to spare me the pain of this process? Help a guy out here.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:33 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

That C2 sounds like an excellent buy(if all checks out). Worth a deeper look.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:09 PM
muis
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
Doesn't anyone on this board want to part with their dark blue (I recall Porsche offered a metallic Navy as well) 88-89 3.2 to spare me the pain of this process? Help a guy out here.
This is the right color, price is more in line with the market, but is it a year too old for you?
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/cto/837919995.html
No affiliation.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:44 AM
RacerX1166
Racer

He's listed that car before and I inquired. Pics show it's a bit on the rough side with some damage on the lower front valence. However, they were pretty bad pics so it might be worth another look. At the time, I ruled it out because of the pics and the linen interior but, what the heck, I'm looking at a Linen interior at Holt and this color is closer to what I'd really like.

I'll send him another note and ask for better pics as well as inquire specifically about the front end.

Just as I had suspected, there is damage to the front valence which he didn't want to share more detailed pics. The driver's door skin has been replaced as the result of an accident as well.
I'll pass on this one.

Last edited by RacerX1166; 09-15-2008 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Updated info

Quick Reply: Low Mileage 911