Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Low Mileage 911

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 06:31 PM
jef3380
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Mileage 911

Is it likely that a 15,000 mile 1988 911 will have problems with motor seals and AC seals? Would this depend on how the car was driven with the advantage being if the car was driven on longer rides that got the motor hot versus shorter rides?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:47 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would just kiss the AC goodbye. The oil return tubes may need to be poped out and replaced. Tell us more. Sounds like a great find. I like '88s.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:47 PM
Steely
Instructor

In general, yeah, it's possible from lack of lubrication/use they'd dry out. There's some oil in the AC system too, and it's supposed to be a good idea to run it occasionally for this reason alone.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:45 AM
jef3380
Intermediate

I found out from a source very familiar with Porsche 911 in the late eighties that the AC hoses should be replaced to eliminate a more or less annual R-12 recharge. Being new to Porsches, I am trying to determine if problems with a 1988 with low mileage (around 15,000) would likely present themselves with various engine seals, etc. from the low mileage/lack of use. Wouldn't want to purchase such a car and then have additional thousands in repair bills while motor was removed and re sealed.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:18 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

A 20 year old car with only 15,000 miles certainly puts up a big red flag, unless the owner has been diligent in preservation with the purpose of keeping it pristine. If, however, it has been just locked away for much of its life, there could be a bunch of surpri$es.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know I keep hearing about these time bombs, I have two sub 10k mile 80's 911"s and they are kept on battery chargers, and one every month or so they get run around town, with no leaks, cold air-well it is a 911 so not that cold but fine, and I do annual maintenance on them... They are kept in a climate controlled warehouse, and that is it... Each one of them has NO issues... or I would address them immediately, yet my mechanic does the routine maintenance and all it well. So either I am the exception or it is a matter of running them properly and maintaining them.. Time bombs? Maybe not.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:20 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have considerable exposure to old low-mileage 911s, since 3 of my friends focus on those types for their collections. There are numerous factors that make it difficult to generalize, but that's what we do here, right?

AC systems on 20+ yr old cars need attention regardless of usage or the original design & engineering of the system. The type of attention varies though - maintainance under normal usage vs refurbishing due to minimal usage (there is always differed/improper maintainance, too). There is no question you can be lucky (like me) & have an original 911 AC system work well (I use HC12a & must recharge a coupla cans every 2 season... get low 40s at the vents... '87 w/ 122k mi). You can also have the worst, useless system & replace / upgrade all the components (Griffiths, RennAire & such), convert to R134a & get great results. The range of variance can be independent of mileage. The solution just takes $.

"Engine seals"... there are many ways & places a 911 oiling system can leak... regardless of mileage. They are all addressable (or, at least, suppressable). If a 911 doesn't leave at least a small spot of oil under the rear somewhere after being parked for a few days, I always check to be sure it HAS oil in it. Some leak a little, some alot... some leaks are critical issues, some are not (but still can & ought to be solved as part of one's overall maintainance program)... some may be traced to lack of use, some to harsh use... "it depends". One MUST be specific about "oil leaks" - from main seals to return tubes to cracked oil cooler to oil pressure sending unit to line fittings to ... well, there are alot of possiblities for oil to escape a 911 engine & oiling subsystem.

If one is considering buying an old, very low mileage 911, one is likely to be paying a premium. So, it is even more critical (if that is possible) to have a 911 expert(s) perform a thorough PPI, w/ particular attention to the many known issues that MAY (but not always DO) arise from storage, climate-exposure, & infrequent use (including possibility that an owner really didn't understand how to drive & care for the car) - even design flaws.

This is an '89 one of those friends just acquired. Around 40k miles, no accidents or repaint. Delightful! drives like a 2-3 yr old car w/ 20k miles on it. I examined the car for a few days & came up w/ about 15 items that needed attention (AC not operating, but no oil leaks!). A great car, though not a perfect one - what is? {old but nice low mileage 911s are important to have around to remind us of how our hi-mileage cars are supposed to behave}

Generalizations inform one's approach to selecting & examining a car. Specifics determine the truth & value of a single example. Get specific evidence (written, detailed report of EXACTLY what is wrong, where) via an expert, then you are well armed to make a personal assessment. Good luck!
Attached Images  
Old 09-10-2008, 01:27 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

So, as a noob who's in the process of looking for his first 3.2, what mileage would you consider to be low enough to throw additional red flags? Of course, I'm talking about over and above the normal items one must be tuned into when purchasing one of these cars.

I've got my eye on a 40k mile 88 coupe that I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on and would like to know whether that falls into the 'red flag' group. Bear in mind that I will make no purchase without a full PPI. If I've learned anything on this board (and I've learned a lot), a full PPI is a must prior to handing money over for my new bundle of joy.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:55 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
So, as a noob who's in the process of looking for his first 3.2, what mileage would you consider to be low enough to throw additional red flags? Of course, I'm talking about over and above the normal items one must be tuned into when purchasing one of these cars.

I've got my eye on a 40k mile 88 coupe that I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on and would like to know whether that falls into the 'red flag' group. Bear in mind that I will make no purchase without a full PPI. If I've learned anything on this board (and I've learned a lot), a full PPI is a must prior to handing money over for my new bundle of joy.
Maintenance is everything on these cars.... If diligently maintained, I would consider anything under 150K miles as a "low" mile car... My 84 has 130K on it and is as tight as a new car... no rattles... drives dead straight... goes like hell, and starts every time.... and it spent over 10 years as a daily driver so those are mostly rode hard/put away wet miles....this is not some pampered garage queen.

Cars under, say 50K tend to fall into a "collector" catagory... people who are willing to pay a serious premium for low mileage cars... they have their own motivations... and that's fine, but what is your primary use for the car?

As a "noob" I doubt you fall into that catagory as most of them can tell you which serial number they started cadmium-plating the reverse light housings or something.

If you just want a nice, clean, reliable 911 to drive and enjoy, I'd consider cars with around 100K miles... there are plenty of really excellent ones out there if you look hard.

If you pay $$$ for a super-low milage car, and then drive it, you will take a major depreciation hit.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:12 PM
RacerX1166
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'm, by no means, a collector. The vehicle in question happens to fit my criteria of a seemingly no issue G-50 in the color/option combo I want near the price range I'm willing to pay.

If I can get the car for what I want it (big IF), which is not significantly away from asking price, my belief is that I will not take a huge hit on it. This will be a mostly garage queen car that will only be driven occasionally.

So, at 40k miles, do I have to be worried about the above issues of a car that hasn't been driven enough?
Old 09-10-2008, 03:34 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

"So, at 40k miles, do I have to be worried about the above issues of a car that hasn't been driven enough?"
maybe. maybe not.
is there a difference between a 20 yr old 911 that was driven 2k/ yr, rigorously maintained, garaged & kept out of brutal climate conditions vs one that had 40K in its first yr, driven by a uncaring lunatic, then left outdoors & hasn't been touched in 18 yrs?

A used 911, regardless of MY & mileage, will be different after it is purchased than before. There will be surprises... some good, some bad. For some people, the desire for an iconic 911 vs the stress of purchase / ownership / risk-of-the-unknown is too much to bear. If research, expert PPI & judgment cannot overcome the stress, there's always new car leasing.

sounds like you've found a neat car, a potential keeper - if you post photos & more details (as in EVERYTHING you know of its history) you will get a whole new range of opinions based upon partial knowledge & individual bias.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:02 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It depends a lot on how those miles were put on. Did it get 15,000 miles in the first couple of years and then sit there for the next 18? Or did it get 70 miles/per month continuously for 20 years? If the latter, nothing to worry about. If it's anything else, you might be looking at some engine work. A PPI by a good Porsche shop will be able to tell you.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:10 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

I bought an '89 last year with 53k on it. PO drove it about 3,000 miles/yr, every year between April and October when he then stored it for the winter. I've had no problems at all with mine over the last 5,000 miles.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:30 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

I bought an '89 Carrera Silver Anniversary in Feb. 2006, The car had 13,313 mikes on it at the time. Super-super clean car! I also read all of the stories about low milage cars.

I've since put 6,000 miles on my 3.2 and all is well. No oil leaks at all...dry engine and I use 1 quart of Brad Penn 20W-50 every 1,500 miles.

David
Old 09-10-2008, 11:16 PM
JCP911S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX1166
I'm, by no means, a collector. The vehicle in question happens to fit my criteria of a seemingly no issue G-50 in the color/option combo I want near the price range I'm willing to pay.

If I can get the car for what I want it (big IF), which is not significantly away from asking price, my belief is that I will not take a huge hit on it. This will be a mostly garage queen car that will only be driven occasionally.

So, at 40k miles, do I have to be worried about the above issues of a car that hasn't been driven enough?
IMHO if it is a car you like at a price you like, and passes a PPI from a reputable shop, jump on it with both feet... These are great cars... if you love them and drive them, they will treat you as well as you treat them. Owning a great classic car is a joy that only money can buy.

If you are a speculator, then buy at your own risk, there are lots of these cars for sale, and more to come...do your math... oil options do not require garage space, insurance or maintenance.

Throw $1K of maintenance, $350 of collector car insurance, and storage fees into the equation. Say $25K for a low mileage car. Assume a $40K appreciation on spec for such a car in 5 years, and do the math.

Parking such a car in a garage is a sh*tty investment. This is for idiots.

But... if you buy a great car you love and keep it the rest of your life and drive it, you can't go wrong... it's the cheapest car you can own... if you love the car, it's a joy every day of your life.

But I'm just a guy who loves to drive old cars, and thank god can afford to have a couple.

Quick Reply: Low Mileage 911