Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Windshield seals

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 05:24 PM
racehorse
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield seals

Hey folks. I need to replace the front and rear windshield seals (mine leak in the corners) on my 81 911SC. I'm in SoCal -- Orange County. Know who does good work and what it might cost?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

Believe it or not, Safelight is pretty good at this. Keep in mind that these pieces of glass are installed without any sort of adhesive. They are held in by the rubber alone.

You can do it yourself if you want. Get yourself a good length of heavy nylon string, or even a wire, and get a buddy to sort of pound on the glass as you slowly pull the string from the inside.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:41 AM
TT Oversteer
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Wouldn't recommend "pounding" on the glass. A friend of mine "helped" me break a windshield once doing just that! Warm the seal up by leaving everything out in the sun, use lots of dish soap on the seal and have your assistant use "gentle pressure" while talking nicely to it. Better yet, have the pros do it. That way if they break it you get another one free!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:40 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Make sure you use the genuine Porsche window seal.

My local glass shop picked up the seals, and glass from the dealership.

John
Old 08-28-2008, 08:36 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

FREE!?
I have never heard of any professional glass guy that would replace any glass that they break for free.
I have always been told that just in case yours breaks during removal/installation that they carry a new one on the truck with them that you can buy at an additional charge.

most have told me that they cannot guarantee old glass will not break during seal R&R.
+++
Old 08-30-2008, 05:26 PM
afinepoint
Racer

I agree with the "not for free". Not only did my glass shop state they wouldn't replace the glass if they broke it they also pretty much guaranteed it would break.

I work with a guy who is an experienced mechanic and racer. This is his story: Wife shuts door - glass shatters. He decides to replace himself - replacement piece shatters. Glass shop replaces glass - success.

If you know what you're doing have at it. If not pay the pro.

Reg
Old 08-30-2008, 08:17 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

I am having a hardt time finding anyone willing to take on the job. I bought all the seals intending to do it myself. I then recognized my limitations. I've had three different places back out of replacing the windshield and all the rest of the seals. Apparently if you break the rear window, one would have to be sourced from Germany.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:20 PM
afinepoint
Racer

Of the things needing doing this project I dread the most.

Reg
Old 09-01-2008, 12:19 AM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I did the windshield gasket swap myself on my 74, and i removed the glass from my 84.
I didn't have any leaks when I did it myself, but the rear window leaks this time after paying someone to do it.
In their defense, I provided the gasket and it was supposedly a factory part. Maybe not.
+++
Old 09-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 128 Posts

This is not that hard a job,--but if you've never done it before it can be a little intimidating. First off, for your 1981 I would buy the solid rubber seals that don't take the aluminum trim surrounds,--it simplifies things considerably. Porsche ultimately went to those designs later. Factory windshield installers can pop them in quickly because they have a feel for the materials involved.

Yes, sometimes you do have to 'pound' on it to get it fit, but you have to be careful. This is a two-man job where you need BOTH parties experienced in this job. I have personally installed windshields in a couple of 356s, several 1980s era 911s, and several VWs. I have also done the rear window in an older 356.

If you have never done any sheetmetal work around the windows than it can be assumed that the factory dimensions are unchanged. (If you have been doing extensive repairs affecting that area things can be a bit touch and go.)

The best advice again,-make sure you have the proper part number (factory of course) for your year.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:27 PM
drv911
Track Day

Where do you find the type of solid seal that doesn't take the trim parts? Is it a a factory part?
Old 09-01-2008, 06:38 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drv911
Where do you find the type of solid seal that doesn't take the trim parts? Is it a a factory part?
My '89 doesn't have that trim either,..I was just preparing to research this, as I've a nice small crack, compliments of an uncovered dump truck out on the interstate......

Inanycase, my past readings on this concluded with getting the factory seal from a Porsche dealer,..remembering to provide your PCA# for a discount (we'll see how that one goes).

Best,

Doyle
Old 09-10-2008, 04:02 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

racehorse,
Axiom replaced my windshield with 993 windshield and seals. I am not only happy with his work's qualitity and personality, I am also very happy with his price. I am not sure if he will replace your seals without replacing the windshield but it's not hurt to give me a call.
http://axiom-motorsports.com/
Old 09-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

What about contactig your insurance compnay and getting a shop that they recommend for the job?
I mean, if the car was damaged they would have to find a shop to fix it, why not one for preventative maintenance?
+++

Quick Reply: Windshield seals