Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How to lower to Euro Specs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:22 AM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to lower to Euro Specs?

I want to lower to Euro ride heights. Or possibly a little lower.

I'm getting conflicting info as I research how to do it. Do I have to reset the T-bars to achieve that height? Or will the eccentric lowering bolt allow me to drop it enough?

87 Carrera w/ stock suspension except for new Bilstein HDs.

Thanks,
Shannon
Old 08-25-2008, 01:14 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue here

Originally Posted by 911vet
I want to lower to Euro ride heights. Or possibly a little lower.

I'm getting conflicting info as I research how to do it. Do I have to reset the T-bars to achieve that height? Or will the eccentric lowering bolt allow me to drop it enough?

87 Carrera w/ stock suspension except for new Bilstein HDs.

Thanks,
Shannon
I want to do the same thing and everything I've read so far (101, Bentley, Rennlist and PP threads) seems to indicate that the rear torsion bars have to be pulled and rotated/adjusted to get to the Euro height. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the factory had to install them at a different setting to meet the DOT requirement and the the eccentric bolts won't get you there. I'm sure some of our resident experts will chime in soon.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:51 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Does this thread help?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=136886

John
Old 08-28-2008, 06:25 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Shannon: I'm pretty sure this is the thread that you need...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...11+by+der+mond

I'll be out of town for a couple of days, so if you post I probably won't answer until Sunday or Monday.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:22 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Shannon: I'm pretty sure this is the thread that you need...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...11+by+der+mond

I'll be out of town for a couple of days, so if you post I probably won't answer until Sunday or Monday.

Thanks, Pete. You are as reliable as ever. As I understand it after talking to a local Porsche mechanic... it all depends on where my current eccentric and t-bars happen to be. It's going in to be aligned, so I'm gonna have him lower it too. We're setting it up with a little neg. camber and toe-in so it will be more friendly on the track... and of course less friendly on the new Goodyears going on next week
Old 08-29-2008, 11:22 AM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

imho . . .

Lowering your car/re-indexing front & back is a job that every DIYer should try. It puts you into intimate contact with your car's suspension which is a very valuable lesson in how it all works.

It also gives you an opportunity to inspect your A-arm & springplate bushings. For most older cars, you will see that they are probably toast from 20+ years of driving & sitting. Then the fun really begins.

Ian
Old 08-29-2008, 12:08 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
it all depends on where my current eccentric and t-bars happen to be. It's going in to be aligned, so I'm gonna have him lower it too. We're setting it up with a little neg. camber and toe-in
"toe-in" will not make your car track friendly - it will make it sluggish on turn-in. If you don't set toe to absolute zero (F & R), then give it about 1/32" toe out (per side) on the front. This will help with turn in, making it quicker and more positive, which let's you work harder on the rest of the stuff that the car's doing!

Your eccentrics are sure to be in their factory positions, if they've been moved you will be able to see it easily because of spring plate discoloration. Looking at your ride height I'm sure everything (T-bars, etc.) is untouched from original...

Finally, are you really, really, really sure that you want Goodyear tires?

OK, gotta get ready to get out of here, talk to you next week!

Quick Reply: How to lower to Euro Specs?