Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

85 Tachometer woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 05:41 PM
mniba1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 Tachometer woes

My tach on my 85' is on the fritz. Usually no movement for days with the occasional spike up to actual RPM for a brief period before back to zero. I am hopeful it is electrical in nature but if not is it true that this year can only be rebuilt and not replaced with new?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rebuilding is FAR cheaper than replacement w new. Pelican lists the 3.2L Carrera tach for $725 new.

I had mine redone & customized (new gauge face & rotating the mechanism so shift is at 12:00, but directionals are in stock location) at North Hollywood Speedometer. HOWEVER, it's still doing it, the same issues you're having. NHS mentioned this might indicate a bad DME unit, FWIW.

I'm going to be sending the speedo back to them to verify it's a-ok & that they didn't forget to repair when they did the customizing, but be prepared that it's something else.

Good luck!
Old 08-29-2008, 12:34 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure all the connectors to the Tach are good and grounded. I had a 76 that wouldn't start years ago and found one of the plug-in wires was not grounding correctly. I'd go over them very carefully.

Quick Reply: 85 Tachometer woes