Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How much should a valve adjustment cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:20 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

This is one of those jobs, that if you do it yourself, will more than pay for whatever you need to buy in order to pull it off.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:00 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
This is one of those jobs, that if you do it yourself, will more than pay for whatever you need to buy in order to pull it off.
+1

Also, it's one of those jobs that you know you will have to do again in the not to distant future.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:37 PM
jthwan22
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine needs to be stone cold as per my wrench.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:01 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do you have to remove the air filter cover, heater elbow and A/C compressor?

As described in the Bentley manual. I have also read that some of the adjuster nuts and rocker arms are difficult to reach/adjust.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by tone40
As described in the Bentley manual. I have also read that some of the adjuster nuts and rocker arms are difficult to reach/adjust.
Well, it is certainly not as easy as if it were on an engine stand but it is doable. The farthest back cylinders do require some stretching and contort somewhat.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 911vet
You aren't alone. I don't have a garage either and had to borrow space in a friend's garage.

Old Man Neri has it right. Wayne's book is valuable, but far from comprehensive. There are some vital bits of info missing. Don't own a 911 without owning a Bentley Manual.
Build the poor girl a shed. My garage houses part of my wife's daycare. I built a two story shed on the side of the house for the car.....and yes, the Bently is the only way to go.

I've done the valves twice. Second time took alot less time.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:27 AM
Antony.
Instructor

>>Do you have to remove the air filter cover, heater elbow and A/C compressor?

Yes, those items are easily removed and make for much better access. I did mine for the first time a few months ago. I ended up doing it three times before I was happy and finally figured out the rotate in trick with the custom feelys. Even now I think I have a slightly loose intake valve so at the next oil change I'm going to check them all again. One thing I learned by experience and from others here is it's best to learn the proper way to do a frontside adjust and forget about the backside method.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:47 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

doug,
If you have room, and want to get dirty... well, not too dirty, this is what you want. and I will be there full time

Old 09-10-2008, 10:17 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The thing I don't like about 4 post lifts is that they are really only most useful for storage of one car over another. A mid-rise scissor or a 2 post are more utilitarian for actual wrenching, which is what most here need. I still say my Bendpak is the BEST tool I've ever bought. I'm glad I went thru the agony of moving it out to Calif with me!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Dan Cobb
The Ancient One
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I hope that miata doesn't leak coolant.
+++
Old 09-14-2008, 04:43 AM
rnln
Burning Brakes

I am not an expert but I think the 2 posts can not have 4 wheels up the way 4 posts does, let say you are doing home aignment. With 4 posts, if you want to change wheels, you still jack it up. Or have the option of hydrolic bottle jack like those alignment shop use.

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
The thing I don't like about 4 post lifts is that they are really only most useful for storage of one car over another. A mid-rise scissor or a 2 post are more utilitarian for actual wrenching, which is what most here need. I still say my Bendpak is the BEST tool I've ever bought. I'm glad I went thru the agony of moving it out to Calif with me!
Old 09-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rnln
I am not an expert but I think the 2 posts can not have 4 wheels up the way 4 posts does, let say you are doing home aignment. With 4 posts, if you want to change wheels, you still jack it up. Or have the option of hydrolic bottle jack like those alignment shop use.
That was my point. The mid-rise and 2 post are more useful for wrenching. The 4 posts are a pain if you have to remove wheels for anything. Anyone that tracks regularly knows what I mean....you're constantly changing tires, bleeding brakes, inspecting, etc. Even alignment is easier with the wheels off the ground, except for toe at the front, IMO.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:31 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 231 Posts

It takes me about four hours and three beers to change the oil and adjust the valves (be sure and get the Porsche feeler gauge). But I don't have A/C.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rnln
doug,
If you have room, and want to get dirty... well, not too dirty, this is what you want. and I will be there full time

Do you remember this thread?.....

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...four+post+lift

Quick Reply: How much should a valve adjustment cost?