Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

A/C stopped working...NEED HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 04:58 PM
bill930p
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A/C stopped working...NEED HELP!!!

Was working perfectly this morning. Drove the car about 13 miles to my office. About 2 hours later, when I got back in the car to go...NO A/C!

The fan does not blow inside, and the compressor is not engaged in the engine bay. I checked the fuses in the trunk, and switched the relay, but still nothing. Any thoughts?

The car is a 1985 930. Also, what is the 4 position fan switch next to the steering wheel (right side) for? It looks just like the one in the center console.

Bill
Old 09-04-2008, 05:50 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know if the car has been retrofitted with a high/low pressure switch for the a/c? If so, you may have a leak that has dropped the pressure below the switch's threshold, which could explain why the compressor isn't engaging.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:04 PM
bill930p
Racer

Originally Posted by scottb
Do you know if the car has been retrofitted with a high/low pressure switch for the a/c? If so, you may have a leak that has dropped the pressure below the switch's threshold, which could explain why the compressor isn't engaging.

I don't know. Would this effect the fan? It also doesn't blow any air.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:06 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Probably not. I've heard there's a relay in the smuggler's box. Did you check that?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:09 PM
bill930p
Racer

Originally Posted by scottb
Probably not. I've heard there's a relay in the smuggler's box. Did you check that?
I saw it, but I don't have one to replace it with. Does any other componant use the same relay? Would this also keep the fan from blowing?
Old 09-04-2008, 06:16 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Make sure the connection at the compressor is also good. It could have come loose.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your fuses (esp, rear?)

All well?

Best,

Doyle
Old 09-07-2008, 01:40 PM
bill930p
Racer

I changed the fuses and the relays. I swped the rely in the front along with the one in the smugglers door. Still nothng. I also checked the connctionsat the compressor and near the evaporator.

Any other area's I should check?
Old 09-15-2008, 09:13 PM
griffiths
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

There are a few methods to trouble shoot the circuit. Assuming the ac system is stock factory, you have your two ac controls in the center console. The left **** is thermostat and right is evaporator blower fan. The system components (ac compressor clutch, evap fan motor, front condenser blower motor) will work with the key engage for engine running or accessory.

Turn on the RH fan motor **** to the first position (there are 3 positions, off and then fan speeds 1-3), then turn the LH thermostat **** fully clockwise which is max cool. Assuming you have checked the ac fuse and the ac relay I would jump a guess it might be the thermostat. Remove the cover on the back of the center console, remove the fastener's on each side of the inner black cover box, bend forward the front bezel (has your ac controls attached to it). Be careful with the thermostat as the aluminum tube between it and the evaporator is fragile. Locate the two wires on the back of the thermostat. Unplug the two female spaded wires attached to the thermostat and create a jumper. Try to run the system and see if the evap motor will blow air out the center vent, if the front condenser motor runs and if there is power at the clutch on the compressor; if true after you jump the two wires then you need a new thermostat.

pm if you need more help
Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 PM
bill930p
Racer

Problem SOLVED!

The fuse was ok, but tester showed no current on other side. I took the fuse out, lightly sander the lower prongs, and reinstalled the fuse. AC NOW WORKS!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:00 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

COOL!!!

Quick Reply: A/C stopped working...NEED HELP!!!