Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Typical valance for '89?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 07:33 PM
tcb_online
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical valance for '89?

Hey guys, still learning and researching, so this question may come across as ignorant to you, but cut a newbie some slack please! Take a look at the picture below, this is from a 1989 911 Coupe. Shouldn't there lower rubber valance on that spoiler? I've seen some cars with and some without. I'm just wondering what the correct factory standard was, or was the rubber valance optional? Also, what is the part that is sticking out from under the spoiler that I circled? Ok my dumb questions for the day are done. Thanks for any information.
Attached Images  
Old 08-11-2008, 07:51 PM
3.2SLANTNOSE
Racer

welcome aboard!! Glad to see another Porsche owner in the deep south.

The 84 through 89 Carrera models did not have the "chin spoiler" rubber part you are asking about. They were on the earlier models.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 3.2SLANTNOSE
The 84 through 89 Carrera models did not have the "chin spoiler" rubber part you are asking about. They were on the earlier models.
If the spoiler package option was specified (meaning you received both front and rear spoilers), there would be a rubber extension of the valance present. If the car was ordered "clean", meaning no spoilers, the front valance would look exactly like what is pictured. The spoiler package was optional ($1711 in 1988), so what is pictured above is how the car would have been delivered without checking the spoiler package option. It's my understanding that none of the impact bumper cars were delivered from the factory with a front rubber spoiler unless the spoiler option was chosen (and paid for!). It's also my understanding from researching various original window stickers that when you ordered spoilers, you got both the front and rear, not one or the other. Running a 911 at higher speeds with just one spoiler (front or rear) will unbalance the car.

The portion that is circled is actually a crash bar that protects the front of the car, most specifially the A/C condensor which also has it's own metal 'cage' directly around it that is not visible unless you are under the car.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:09 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

^ what he said.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tcb_online
Also, what is the part that is sticking out from under the spoiler that I circled?
Jay's answer is good, but I might add that many cars use the front spoiler without a rear spoiler (one of the many variations of available whale tails) without adverse handling. The opposite should never occur, a car with a whale tail, but without a "chin spoiler" on the front, can be downright evil when your speed approaches triple digits.

FYI: Something is bent on your photo subject, the protective bar (for the front A/C condenser) should not stick out like the one you show; it should fit like the passenger side of your example. Hopefully it's just the valance pushed back a little, and not something structural under the car.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
...many cars use the front spoiler without a rear spoiler (one of the many variations of available whale tails) without adverse handling.
Pete,

Maybe you can help clarify... I would assume that if a car is running strictly a front spoiler, this front spoiler was either installed by the owner or it was a dealer installed option. I've never seen an option code for just the front spoiler directly from the factory.

Jay
Old 08-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
Pete,

Maybe you can help clarify... I would assume that if a car is running strictly a front spoiler, this front spoiler was either installed by the owner or it was a dealer installed option. I've never seen an option code for just the front spoiler directly from the factory.

Jay
Jay: From what I know, you are correct! I think that the chin spoiler was always an add-on at the dealer, and many owners added one at a later time. I had customers who wanted one because it covered the protective bar under the valance, they knew nothing, and didn't care, about aero - it was all about "cool."
Old 08-11-2008, 09:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

Back then you could easily purchase a chin spoiler to your car and the necessary clips to install it,--and it helped cover up some of what you ae seeing there. It looks to me like that car took a hit,--probably from a parking lot chock, and it's now not where it should be. I added a chin spoiler to my 1977 S and never experienced any negative handling issues. As technically an 'air dam' its function is to push air away from flowing beneath the car, helping to keep it from trying to fly at higher speeds. The rear device, aka 'spoiler' spoils the rear air producing a downforce in lbs that is a function of the spoiler design and speed of the car. The most effective rear spoiler is the massive turbo tail of 1978 or later which incorporated the massive intercooler found on the 3.3 litre 930 engines. Duck tails do some work, as did the Carrera RSR tail of 1975, but the turbo tail does the most work. Unfortunately, all cars don't look that great IMO with a massive turbo tail on them. They look quite out of balance.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:07 PM
hkiang
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Pete is right. The rubber/plastic lip is part of the optional spoiler package for these cars. And, from the looks of your picture, something is bent.

Here is a picture of an 1988 Carrera with that front spoiler:
Attached Images  
Old 08-15-2008, 08:39 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your car looks gorgeous hkiang!
Old 08-15-2008, 09:31 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by spence88mph