Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The 911 that ran over a bear-- at 70mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:02 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 911 that ran over a bear-- at 70mph

I just read the post by Douglas with the rabbit story. Anyway, I am talking to a guy yesterday with a 1984 Carrera coupe. After about 30 minutes of talk regarding the condition and history of the car he mentions that there was one other thing. He said that a few years back he was driving at night on the open highway and there were a number of brakelight up ahead. As he slowed, he hit something and got airborn--he claimed 70mph. He then pulled over where the other cars were off the road and looked at the blood on/under his car. The bottom line of the story is that he was the 3rd car to hit a 700 pound bear. The high way patrol said it was some sort of record road kill. He states there is little damage to the car. Unfortunately, in a house move, he lost the newspaper story.

Boy howdy!! Porsche Tough, where trucks fear to tread.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I remember a drive thru west Virginia in '88 where the box turtles where so thick on the road and so many had already been hit that we just had to run them over. That was a sad day.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:49 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hmmm, if you hit a bear head on in a Porsche,likelihood is that since the P is so low

in the front that the bear would go crashing over the hood and into the windshield doing alot of damage to the car and you. He probably hit a little bit of the bear with the side of the car...not a head on.
abe
Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 AM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Hmmm, if you hit a bear head in a Porsche, likelihood is that since the P is so low

in the front that the bear would go crashing over the hood and into the windshield doing alot of damage to the car and you. He probably hit a little bit of the bear with the side of the car...not a head on. BTW I am talking with experience hitting 3 deers which are lighter in wt than a bear.
abe
Old 08-04-2008, 02:43 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

I almost smoked a bear once in my civic. It was quite scary because it was about 1am and to avoid it I was going all over the place on the highway. It was quite foggy and at the time I was concentrating on taking the last drink out of my water bottle. I came very close to going sideways into a rock wall at about 60mph. I was lucky that night. Soon I have to face a night drive full of moose, bears, deer, and other 4 legged creatures. I am not looking forward to it.

Oh, and I am pretty sure that even though the 911 is low to the ground the bear will sill end up sitting in your lap at high speeds, they are also quite low to the ground. A moose or a deer you might have some luck though.

In any case please pay attention at night on those isolated roads. I remember seeing a cop car at the side of the road behind a dead moose. He had to spend the entire night out there, warning other drivers, because there was nothing available to drag the moose to the side of the road, should give you an idea of how big animals can get.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:26 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Yup, 3am, on the way west to buy a SHO in Michigan a few years back, a buddy of mine & I were fighting the napjerks on the highway, I was at the wheel. I think we were in Ohio, maybe Michigan at that point...

... anyway it was a little foggy, all of a sudden MASSIVE roadkill in the high speed lane... lane change Tommy Kendall / John Andretti / Boris Said would have wanted during their BMW M3 Infomercial, kept it on the road. Buddy asks, WTF was that all about & I'm like, "uhhh, I think that was a black bear in the road?!?!?!"

FWIW, a Buick Century Hertz Rental is NOT something to go autocrossing with...
Old 08-04-2008, 11:33 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

in the front that the bear would go crashing over the hood and into the windshield doing alot of damage to the car and you. He probably hit a little bit of the bear with the side of the car...not a head on.
He said he was the 3rd car to hit it and that the head was off. He must have hit only a portion of a flat spot. His girl fiend told him he was a complete idiot for relating the story while attempting to sell the car.
Which brings up another possible theory, he does not want to sell the car--- and she does.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:40 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I had a friend who's 911 (around a 1974 model) had a fairly large bulge from running over a bicyclist before he bought the car. (The floor panel was pushed inwards into the cabin). Never heard if the bicyclist was killed (presumed) but just be on the lookout for a sort of metallic brown 70s era 911 coupe...
Old 08-04-2008, 06:23 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the larger animal stories better than the frikin' bunny rabbit kill......

Had a frikin' COW appear, middle of road one night, around a corner...barely missed that animal,..and certainly removed LOTSA tread from tires.....close call......a very large animal (upclose)..while going fast.

Best,

Doyle
Old 08-04-2008, 08:25 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

WARNING::: Texas, like some other states is an open/free range state. If a cow or horse is in the road he has the right of way. If you hit him/her you will pay the cost of the animal and your damage is your problem. Every now and then we have a calf that will get out, but the bull is the scary guy. At almost 2,000 pounds, he can still jump a low spot or go thur the barbed wire fence if he wants to get at a cow in heat across the road. And to make matters worse at night, he is an all black Brangus with an attitude.

Second story, a buddy got a 1954 Corvette in 1957 to go to the university in Oklahome. Hit a cow with heavy braking and it hit the front and then landed on the rear. He said the Vette body looked like a bunch of tooth brushes scattered across the highway.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeflyer
WARNING::: Texas, like some other states is an open/free range state. If a cow or horse is in the road he has the right of way. If you hit him/her you will pay the cost of the animal and your damage is your problem. Every now and then we have a calf that will get out, but the bull is the scary guy. At almost 2,000 pounds, he can still jump a low spot or go thur the barbed wire fence if he wants to get at a cow in heat across the road. And to make matters worse at night, he is an all black Brangus with an attitude.

Second story, a buddy got a 1954 Corvette in 1957 to go to the university in Oklahome. Hit a cow with heavy braking and it hit the front and then landed on the rear. He said the Vette body looked like a bunch of tooth brushes scattered across the highway.
Isn't this information reversed?

If a livestock animal escapes its farm and there's a road accident, the animal owner can be held at fault and negligent.

Was it TX that passed a "your hit it, you can eat it" law (making it legal to eat road-kill) ?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:46 AM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

Not a 911 story but in a 928 I was ferrying home from Boston to California I hit a BIG deer that a semi I was passing clipped right in front of me.

I got airborn on the drivers side a bit and scared the beejeezus out of myself. Took several hours to get the remnants of Bambi out of the little bits on the front of the car and all along the side. Pretty nasty really.

No, and I mean NO damage other than some small scratches that buffed out of the clear coat. Really tough cars these Porsches!!!!!

Quick Reply: The 911 that ran over a bear-- at 70mph