Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Looking at a '80 SC - Few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:42 PM
travman
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a '80 SC - Few questions

Found an '80 SC that I am interested in and am trying to do some research on the car. I do want to get a PPI (read Pete's book) and I know the car will need some work.

There's a couple of oddities about the car so I'm hoping some can help me understand what might be going on.

1. Rust - There are some bubbles in the paints from the photographs from what's been sent to me. They don't look too large, but is this an indication the chassis may already be in bad shape? Is there anything specific I should have checked out? I've read about looking behind the headlamps, but wanted to see if there is anything else to look for

2. The owner states there is a about a 1 inch difference between the left and rear wheels. Not sure why this is the case, possibly spacers or perhaps an owner put on a different size rim accidently (accident repair?).

3. The car has a rough cold start. Not sure if this is a simple tune-up type fix or not.

4. A/C isn't operational.

I looked at another car locally at a dealer ('83 SC) that's priced at about 18k. I'm not sure the A/C works (and even if it is, it's not working well enough for me) and I know I'd end up spending the extra $2k to upgrade the A/C in that car.

This car is priced significantly less. I'm not completely worried about the cosmetics of the car as long as it will be solid and last some time. I'm really looking for something I can take out and have some real fun driving and especially towards track days (I'd probably do a number of basic changes to get the car into track shape).

Any thoughts?

Any recommendations on PPI's? The car is in the vicinity of LaCrosse Wisconsin
Old 07-29-2008, 04:43 PM
travman
6th Gear

I forgot to mention - the owner isn't sure if the cam tensioner update was done. Is there an easy way to check if it's been done, or does it require engine disassembly?

thanks
Old 07-29-2008, 05:32 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

If it has had the "Carrera" timing chain tensioner upgrade. The front of the timing chain covers will look like this...
Old 07-29-2008, 05:36 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

There is just so many dif things to decide when looking to buy one of these. Where are you located?
Old 07-29-2008, 05:38 PM
travman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
There is just so many dif things to decide when looking to buy one of these. Where are you located?
Outside Chicago IL
Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Rust bubbles? RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

The '83 will also need a PPI, and you should probably figure $3K to update/repair the A/C, but it might be a better car for you long term.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:15 PM
travman
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Rust bubbles? RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
hehee thought that might be the response. The rust bubbles are on the right door/quarter panel. But they are a bit of concern. The car isn't super close to me so it's difficult to inspect without it going to a reputable shop for review.

There of course is another car I'm interested too that seems nice & reasonable but it's quite a distance away. I'm a tad worried about flying out to purchase a car & drive it a significant drive home. (The car would probably make it, just hate to get stranded. this would be my first P car)
Old 07-29-2008, 08:04 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Take your time in sellecting what you are buying. Half the fun is looking.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Half the fun is looking"

maybe thats true - but its not the best half !
Old 07-29-2008, 09:16 PM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rust on an SC ? Bad omen. There is no liner on the back fenders, so whatever gets flung around can be found all around the cavity. Unless it happened to be a great runner at a gift price, I would also run, run, run. As for the 1 inch wheel discrepancy, one of the few reasons an SC would rust besides being driven in a lot of salty winters would be because of faulty accident repairs. A bad engine or tranny is expensive, but a bad chassis is the car. There are lots of nice 911s out there right now at reasonable prices.

The only thing more expensive than a really nice one for a high but fair price is a really bad one at a low but fair price. They have been known to make grown men cry.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Mikes rule of thumb, if you "can see rust bubbles" from the outside, it is usually five times worse in the area you can't see.
My last Boss 302 didn't have any bubbles, plastic filler doesn't rust.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:48 PM
emac
Racer

Travman
If you hang around here long enough you will learn very quick to listen to Pete Z. I cannot explain all I have learned from the people on this board. I would pass this one up. Like Jaws said the fun is looking. After four years of looking I found my 81 SC, which I have had for a little over six years.

Ernie 81 SC
Attached Images  
Old 07-30-2008, 02:09 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Originally Posted by travman
hehee thought that might be the response. The rust bubbles are on the right door/quarter panel. But they are a bit of concern. The car isn't super close to me so it's difficult to inspect without it going to a reputable shop for review.

There of course is another car I'm interested too that seems nice & reasonable but it's quite a distance away. I'm a tad worried about flying out to purchase a car & drive it a significant drive home. (The car would probably make it, just hate to get stranded. this would be my first P car)
I took a risk and paid out the azz for a super thorough PPI, including compression & leakdown. I asked the wrench to inspect it per "concours" standards - I didn't want any surprises, and he was my eyes & ears at this point. If the car had come up "no good" that would have been a bunch of money down the drain. However I had the same fears as you. And I'm living proof that it can work out very well!

FYI the PPI on my car indicated some bubbled paint but on inspection it was determined to be bad paint prep as opposed to rust. So you really do need some independent, very expert eyeballs on that thing to let you know what to expect. When I got the 2 pages full of notes from the PPI I nearly passed out! However, after talking to the PPI mechanic, it was all minor stuff, just stuff he noted per my request for super thorough going-over.

Turns out the important stuff on the car I was looking at was solid, nothing needed doing before I flew out there and drove it 850 miles home over the weekend. The PPI was the best $$ I ever spent.

Quick Reply: Looking at a '80 SC - Few questions