Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Home with my 911!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:13 AM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Home with my 911!

Hi yall. The trip to Houston was great, and the trip home in the 911 was AWESOME!

Hubby fit, if you can call it that - we took plenty of leg-stretching stops!

Thanks to an obsessively detailed PPI, there were NO surprises. Everything was as expected. In otherwords, GREAT! Worth every single penny I paid for that PPI. Well there was ONE modification that surprised me - I'll have to see if this showed up on the PPI, I don't remember it. The horn was changed - to an AIR horn! The note is close to the original horn, but...AIR HORN. The PO said he wanted a louder horn so people would get the $%#! out of his way

The PO gave me the orignal horn he removed, along with 2 boxes of spare everythings. He did an oil change for me last week in anticipation of our arrival - and wrote the date on the oil filter so I'd remember when it had last been changed.

The air conditioning? It doth sucketh. But when I'm in the car by myself, I can turn off the pass. side vents and then it is passable, even on a 100+ degree day like today. And I am going to have to work out the "fit". I am short, and to reach the pedals and get the clutch all the way in, I have to pull waaay up close. But then my arms are bent in so close I feel like a granny! The PO told me the pedals can be extended, and I'm going to see about a new steering wheel maybe with some spacers in there to bring it out some.

The car drives like a dream. It hits its groove right around 3200 rpm, seems to settle in and be most comfy at between 80-90 mph. Gonna have to watch that. Oh, and one other little thing - I've never been like this, but behind the wheel of the 911, I could not STAND being passed. I was all, "HEY! You're passing ME???" I only chased the BMWs. And Mercedes. And Mustangs. And this one Charger that just got on my nerves. Gonna have to get a grip on this.

I'll be putting together a video & will post a link here when it's done. In the meantime, tons of still shots, plus three short video clips RIGHT HERE.

I love my new car!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:31 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Glad you had a safe trip and everything went well. Car looks just like mine, except I have a dark blue interior.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:43 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by VroomGrrl
Hi yall. The trip to Houston was great, and the trip home in the 911 was AWESOME!
Glad you had a great time!

The air conditioning? It doth sucketh.
Yes.

And I am going to have to work out the "fit". I am short, and to reach the pedals and get the clutch all the way in, I have to pull waaay up close. But then my arms are bent in so close I feel like a granny! The PO told me the pedals can be extended, and I'm going to see about a new steering wheel maybe with some spacers in there to bring it out some.
Please read this it was written by our very own Shannon.

- I've never been like this, but behind the wheel of the 911, I could not STAND being passed. I was all, "HEY! You're passing ME???" I only chased the BMWs. And Mercedes. And Mustangs. And this one Charger that just got on my nerves. Gonna have to get a grip on this.
Let them pass. There are a lot of other cars that are faster than yours but none are funner.

Last edited by old man neri; 07-28-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:31 AM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Originally Posted by old man neri
Please read this it was written by our very own Shannon.
Thanks for posting that link! That will be a great starting point for me.

The PO told me that the pedals on this car can be extended 1". That, plus extensions on the pedals like Shannon's may do the trick. I think I will need all the extension I can get because I really can't stand having my elbows practically in my sides while driving (no joke, at least 90 degree elbow angle). Also I want to bring the steering wheel forward (away from the dash) a bit so that will just make my current problem worse unless I get the pedals seriously extended.

While I'm at it, I also need to work on the relative pedal position - the brake, when depressed, is way high above the gas. No matter what I tried, I could NOT get my heel or side of my foot onto the gas while holding the brake - unless I bent my ankle at a most unnatural angle. I was able to heel-toe, but it wasn't pretty! Gonna have to work that out as well.

What she wrote about having the visor over her head cracked me up too - I am so far foward I have the little visor over my head, and the little vent window directly to the left of my head! I'd prefer to be back far enough to look out the open window when I turn my head left.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:04 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

It's so great to see someone so excited about 911s!!!!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Great write-up! Glad to hear you had an enjoyable, safe and trouble free trip home. You are right, 3,200 RPM is comfortable, however the fun starts at 4,800 RPM! Keep the RPM's up, your car will thank you.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Enjoy the ride, I loved my 800 mile return-home-from-purchase with mine - did it solo, keeping a failed speedo, an Ohio Trooper, an unexpected snowstorm, and sleep deprivation at bay!

I recently did a 1600 mile RI - OH - RI weekend with the '84 Cab, top down as much as possible & loved it!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:12 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Beautiful car!!! Congrats!!

Hey, It's begging for some H4 headlights!
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM
87Porsche
Intermediate

Smile Beautiful Ride!

Hey Kathy,

What a beautiful car! I just found my Porsche earlier this year. I was wondering if you would let me know what you figure out in regards to the pedal situation. I am about 5' 3" and am find I have the same issue as you with driving my Porsche. On the other hand my husband, at 6' + fits right in. I would be glad to let you know what I come across in my research also.

Enjoy the new baby!

Terri
Old 07-28-2008, 03:07 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! Great posts!
Love your enthusiasm. It is well-founded.
Enjoy it !!!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:22 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Enjoy the ride, I loved my 800 mile return-home-from-purchase with mine - did it solo, keeping a failed speedo, an Ohio Trooper, an unexpected snowstorm, and sleep deprivation at bay!

I recently did a 1600 mile RI - OH - RI weekend with the '84 Cab, top down as much as possible & loved it!

OK I'm gonna stick my neck out and ask this question - you're a serious long distance road-tripper. I don't mind not having a built-in cupholder. But seems nowhere to put a bottle of water or whatever to be close at hand...any tricks or tips on a place to stash a beverage so it's handy? Other than thrown in the passenger seat?

Or let's see, will the responses be a chorus of NO DRINKING AND DRIVING, BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL, etc...? I am just guessing that some gearhead somewhere has figured out the perfect solution. What say you, Porsche Genii?
Old 07-28-2008, 03:27 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Originally Posted by 87Porsche
Hey Kathy,

What a beautiful car! I just found my Porsche earlier this year. I was wondering if you would let me know what you figure out in regards to the pedal situation. I am about 5' 3" and am find I have the same issue as you with driving my Porsche. On the other hand my husband, at 6' + fits right in. I would be glad to let you know what I come across in my research also.

Enjoy the new baby!

Terri

Old Man Neri's lnk to a post by Shannon above looks good - check that out. I'm going to try everything possible to get set up so I'm comfortable. I'll probably end up combining a couple of fixes - extending my existing pedals the 1" they can be extended, and maybe also doing some block toppers with metal covers. I haven't yet searched these forums, there may well be other ideas here. Let's keep in touch - I'd like to know if you come up with anything that works, too.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:35 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VroomGrrl
OK I'm gonna stick my neck out and ask this question - you're a serious long distance road-tripper. I don't mind not having a built-in cupholder. But seems nowhere to put a bottle of water or whatever to be close at hand...any tricks or tips on a place to stash a beverage so it's handy? Other than thrown in the passenger seat?

Or let's see, will the responses be a chorus of NO DRINKING AND DRIVING, BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL, etc...? I am just guessing that some gearhead somewhere has figured out the perfect solution. What say you, Porsche Genii?

Well, here's my experience...

1) I looked into Bird Automotive (http://www.birdautomotive.com/) for their cupholder / armrest solutions. Nice, but I'm one of "those guys" who won't pay $4000 for a Navigation System when a $99 window-mount GPS works fine. Scratch the $500 cupholder.

2) There are other, more reasonably priced options from some of the other companies around, found on Rennlist or Pelican that I've seen over the past few years - some are pretty neat. I just never had that much of an issue to make it a priority.

3) $5. Wal-Mart. Set of (4) plastic hanging cupholders that fit in the window track, passenger side works for me being I'm tall & it IS a 911 which is like 2.4 feet wide.

4) I've also used the door pockets to hold a bottle of water very successfully, though usually not once opened.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I can fit my can of Dr. Pepper in the door pocket very nicely. I discovered the hard way one morning that a 32 oz. fountain drink doesn't like riding on the parking brake lever.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:28 PM
VroomGrrl
Advanced

Default drinking and driving

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I can fit my can of Dr. Pepper in the door pocket very nicely. I discovered the hard way one morning that a 32 oz. fountain drink doesn't like riding on the parking brake lever.
Well gosh I'm glad I'm not the first person to ponder this little but important detail.

The cupholder in the passenger side would probably work best for me. Until I get my pedals sorted, I sit up so close to the wheel that I can't even put my arm out the window without leaning way over to the side and reaching back (the vent window is literally my view to my left) so a cupholder on my side would probably put my cup right at my left shoulder

And oh, I did use the parking break lever area to stash a bottle of water - with the cap on.

The side door pockets on my car are very narrow. I was able to fit a tiny Starbucks doubleshot can in there. Hmm. Maybe a cup holder somehow rigged to that door pocket. Yall have me thinking now. UH OH! duck! Hahah!

Quick Reply: Home with my 911!