Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Defrauded by Sportech in Puerto Rico, beware of Carlos Nin!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 04:45 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Defrauded by Sportech in Puerto Rico, beware of Carlos Nin!

My company, Acceleronics, made two separate COD shipments to Sportech (aka Euro-car) in Arecibo, Puerto Rico, totaling more than $1000. Carlos Nin, the guy who ordered the parts, stopped payment on both checks about a week after they were deposited. He does not answer or return my daily phone calls or emails. I've reported the fraud to my cousin the FBI agent, but I'm guessing the loss is too small to warrant their attention.

A Google search turned up a couple of 993 guys on the Pelican board who had been screwed by Carlos, but a search here turned up a guy singing his praises. Caveat emptor!

If anyone here lives in PR, or knows someone who does, I'd like to find out if Sportech's address is a real location. The address on the checks is:
752 Calle La Paz
Arecibo, PR 00612

Jeff
Old 07-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You are not kidding about the Pelican board being a gold mine for this guy. He goes by several names and seems to have screwed the entire board. I started in on that thread and had to give up it was so long.....Good luck.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:01 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

Update: Apparently the combination of my forum posts and many voicemails finally got through. Carlos called with a valid Discover card to cover the parts he's keeping, and today I received the balance of the parts. If the credit card payment doesn't bounce, we're square.

I'll post again in a week or so, or sooner if there's trouble with the card.

Jeff
Old 08-01-2008, 04:38 PM
PorscheII
Intermediate

This slime has burned over a dozen different U.S. companies. I know he got Powerhaus II for over 6K, and Guard Transmission for about 2K. Don't hold your breath.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:46 PM
Mosports
2nd Gear

If anyone thinks this guy has gone away, I can tell you he is still around and still screwing people.

He called me two weeks ago and had me send him two Toyo R888 tires that he needed for a race. They were 305/30-19s. I figured anyone who needed tires that big had to have money! We sent them UPS COD and I made the mistake of not checking the box for certified check. $1400 with shipping.

A few days later he called and thanked me for the quick service and ordered two more tires and a SPARCO racing seat. We sent it UPS COD. $2000

Last Friday I was notified by my bank that the first check had been returned for NSF. I've had bounced checks before. Nearly everyone has. Friday night I was at home surfing the web and googled "Sportech, PR". I got a barrage of references using the words "Fraud", "Thief" and "Criminal". This concerned me somewhat.

I sent Carlos an email on Friday telling him that the check had bounced. No response. sent him a second Email asking for a response by the end of business today. Still no response.

Tomorrow I file a police report. We live in a small town and the police chief is a personal friend. They don't have a lot to do and he thinks this is a perfect opportunity to train his force on prosecuting interstate fraud.

I ask all auto enthusiasts to boycott Carlos Morales, a.k.a. Carlos Nin, a.k.a. Robert Utroska, aka Cesar Navedo and his company Sportech a.k.a. Euro-car located at:

Sportech, Inc.
Paz #752
Arecibo, PR 00612
Butzytt@hotmail.com
787-391-1975

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Mosports
2nd Gear

Default He's still around and still screwing people

If anyone thinks this guy has gone away, I can tell you he is still around and still screwing people.

He called me two weeks ago and had me send him two Toyo R888 tires that he needed for a race. They were 305/30-19s. I figured anyone who needed tires that big had to have money! We sent them UPS COD and I made the mistake of not checking the box for certified check. $1400 with shipping.

A few days later he called and thanked me for the quick service and ordered two more tires and a SPARCO racing seat. We sent it UPS COD. $2000

Last Friday I was notified by my bank that the first check had been returned for NSF. I've had bounced checks before. Nearly everyone has. Friday night I was at home surfing the web and googled "Sportech, PR". I got a barrage of references using the words "Fraud", "Thief" and "Criminal". This concerned me somewhat.

I sent Carlos an email on Friday telling him that the check had bounced. No response. sent him a second Email asking for a response by the end of business today. Still no response.

Tomorrow I file a police report. We live in a small town and the police chief is a personal friend. They don't have a lot to do and he thinks this is a perfect opportunity to train his force on prosecuting interstate fraud.

I ask all auto enthusiasts to boycott Carlos Morales, a.k.a. Carlos Nin, a.k.a. Robert Utroska, aka Cesar Navedo and his company Sportech a.k.a. Euro-car located at:

Sportech, Inc.
Paz #752
Arecibo, PR 00612
Butzytt@hotmail.com
787-391-1975

Regards,
Dave
Old 02-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Is this guy on Rennlist?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:13 PM
MidnighTT
Racer

I got a call about a month ago from what I assume is a private investigator asking about Carlos and Sportech. I never connected with the caller in real time, but left a v'mail saying that Carlos eventually gave me a valid credit card number to pay for the parts and the stop payment fees. That transaction was a few years ago.

I don't know if my FBI relative was a factor in turning Carlos around.

Jeff
Old 09-05-2013, 02:09 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,731 Posts

This guy sold me some wheels and I am trying to get my money back . . . wish I would have searched first.

Details coming . . .
Old 08-07-2020, 06:49 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

He is still upto the same old tricks. Listed as Drummer on Pelican and using the name William Wilcox. He has just done me for a 924 Turbo Transmission for $748. Cheeky bastard asked me to cover his P{ayPal fees too! Anyhow I have lodged a claim with PayPal. the paypal address he used was Virgina.nin@gmail.com which is associated with a PR jewelry business. Probably a relative of his....??? Depressing to know that this guy can keep going for so long!

Old 08-07-2020, 07:06 PM
myflat6
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 123 Posts

I have seen others complain about that user name Drummer on Pelican.
Old 08-08-2020, 01:00 PM
raspritz
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Google Maps satellite view shows that address is a vacant lot.

EDIT: I just saw the 2008 date on this thread. That address might not have been a vacant lot before Hurricane Maria destroyed much of Arecibo in September, 2017!

Last edited by raspritz; 08-08-2020 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-08-2020, 05:44 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raspritz
Google Maps satellite view shows that address is a vacant lot.

EDIT: I just saw the 2008 date on this thread. That address might not have been a vacant lot before Hurricane Maria destroyed much of Arecibo in September, 2017!
The current address he is using is:

Sportech,Inc.
#752 Paz Ave.
Arecibo, PR, 00612

I've paid for shipping but he is now tryiong to get me to arrange pick up.... Previously said the transmission was in a warehouse he was clearing out in Boca Raton, Florida... The guy is overflowing with Bull****. Can't keep up wit his own lies.

The address he is now quoting doesn't seem to be a valid address to me.

I think he is just trying to prevaricate so that the PayPal time limit for escalation expires. It won't!

So depressing that people like this can just keep behaving in this manner.

Old 11-13-2020, 08:58 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

OMG, I paid for a tranny G50 from this guy in July 2020. I have not received the tranny. He keeps saying having problems shipping and also that he hurt his foot and had an accident. OMG I hope I haven't gotten scammed out of my money on this. I spoke to this guy Carlos today on the phone and asked him where is my tranny. He said was going with another shipping company DB Scheneker as the other company was not reliable. I need to find someone to go to that shop and pickup my tranny. The address is the 752 Calle Ocean View in Arecibo.

OmG this will kill my project. Anyone know of a private investigator in PR?
Old 11-13-2020, 09:40 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

I'm so sorry ot hear that you are experiencing the same issues. I filed a claim through PayPal and got my money back. The guy is 100% a scammer. What name was he using with you and how did you pay? If you paid using PayPal then just open a claim ASAP.

People like this disgust me. Sadly there is only one language they understand and that is a damn good hiding but in the end I settled for a refund from PayPal... not a painful for him as I would have liked but not really practical to go to PR to confront him and these days I'm a little long in the tooth for those sort of confrontations

Quick Reply: Defrauded by Sportech in Puerto Rico, beware of Carlos Nin!