Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Hobby Car...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the invite, but my Son is getting married this weekend. I do get the Peachstate monthly publication in reference to schedule of events and meetings but I've been really lapse about attending. Maybe I will get to the next meeting, and if my schedule permits I wouldn't mind attending Rennfest in September.

Originally Posted by AJ88CAB
Vintage Racer & wpriller - There is a DE at Road Atlanta this weekend (8/16-17), come on up and say hello, I'll be #86. Scott Lawrence (#7) always carries a mebership package with few extra copies of the Pano for prospective members. If you think you will be there, I'll let him know to bring a few. Website is http://www.peachstatepca.org and has event schedules and lots of other info.

VR that's a beautiful car by the way!

-Andrew
Old 08-13-2008, 04:39 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

Andrew, doesn't Peachstate have a Concours every year @ Jim Ellis Porsche or have they already had it? If they haven't had it yet could you give me a date, and also the date of your next DE. Thanks wpriller@bellsouth.net

Originally Posted by AJ88CAB
I'll be around all weekend. I don't think I have a student for this event, so just look for my Silver '88 Carrera Cab #86, and I should be nearby. I know Bob well, I'm the newsletter editor and he owes me a coucours article by this Friday Just don't tell him I won't be looking at it until Monday. -Andrew
Old 08-14-2008, 11:16 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

I'm late to this dicussion, but that is an excellent article and I agree with the OP that it is very refreshing to see an article like that in Pano.

It is a bit discouraging to read about articles being submitted with not even a response…

However, on the whole, PCA membership in my region (Upper Canada) has been pretty worthwhile.

First off, the local dealer offers 10% off on parts to members, and although I do tend to buy from some of the well-known US places like Sunset and Paragon, I find that I buy enough from the local dealer to more than “pay” my dues!

On a more serious note, the local chapter has:

7 Autocross events
2 introductory driving school events
5 driver’s ed events
1 PCA Club race (Mosport)
1 Concours
1 (yeah, just one) Wine-tasting event

On top of that there is a regular once-a-month social, which ranges from being held at a restaurant to being held at a local tuning shop. On top of that, a few other things like the Porscheplatz at the Mosport ALMS race etc.

Overall, a pretty decent mix from my perspective. I have not been to a lot of the events, but to those I have been I have always been treated in a friendly manner.

The best approach is to choose to have an open mind, go to events that interest you, seek out the people that reciprocate friendliness and minimize interaction with those that may have an attitude.

I think we also need to be careful not to let chips form on our OWN shoulders. A lot of 944 guys will opine that the air-cooled 911 guys are all a bunch of pompous jerks, the 911 guys will say that the guys with the new Porsches are all too high and mighty etc, etc… Let’s not even get into 993 vs. 996! I think we really know that there is good and bad everywhere and they do not align themselves with particular car generations! I just recently met a guy with a 997 Turbo cab and he was very gracious and engaging. We shared a lot of interest in his new car and my old ones. As much an enthusiast as anyone.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:04 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

-------------amjf088 ------------------------

I think we also need to be careful not to let chips form on our OWN shoulders. A lot of 944 guys will opine that the air-cooled 911 guys are all a bunch of pompous jerks, the 911 guys will say that the guys with the new Porsches are all too high and mighty etc, etc… Let’s not even get into 993 vs. 996
It is always a refreshing education to see the obvious stated when it is not so obvious. Like religion, politics, and P cars, truth is in the eye of the beholder. Having been involved in some bloody/bitter/nasty political debates in the NY Times and Washington Post ( with a reasonable win rate), I can say that this is a lot more fun and worth while as is PCA, and the disagreements and elitism sparse. I personally do not have any objection to jack cheese and any 2008 red wine--- always buy the new stuff in the gallon jugs to impress the guests.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:04 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by amjf088
I think we also need to be careful not to let chips form on our OWN shoulders. A lot of 944 guys will opine that the air-cooled 911 guys are all a bunch of pompous jerks, the 911 guys will say that the guys with the new Porsches are all too high and mighty etc, etc… Let’s not even get into 993 vs. 996! I think we really know that there is good and bad everywhere and they do not align themselves with particular car generations! I just recently met a guy with a 997 Turbo cab and he was very gracious and engaging. We shared a lot of interest in his new car and my old ones. As much an enthusiast as anyone.
I agree. But I would subject your tech to all sports car (including the Ferrari).

We are all car guys and gearheads. I have never witnessed any discrimination when talking to any car guy. Regardless of their brand. Except on the intraweb.

Doc
Old 08-15-2008, 05:14 PM
desmomini
Track Day

Is there anyone here from PCA who could greenlight reprinting the article as a .pdf file? On the PCA website, there are occassional articles reprinted, but this is currently not one of them.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:24 PM
crush301
3rd Gear

I recently bought a 1982 911sc coupe with sunroof and I love it!!!!!!
Old 08-17-2008, 02:53 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by VintageRacer
Thanks Peter. I called Scott and left a message.

I do need to get a schedule of the local PCA events. I would like very much to drive up to Road Atlanta (45 miles) and watch them. Due to vintage racing, my track budget is already stretched beyond its limit.
http://www.peachstatepca.org/

Here is the URL for the peachstate regions newletter. It comes once a month and is available online
Old 08-18-2008, 01:38 PM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by smshirk
Here is the URL for the peachstate regions newletter. It comes once a month and is available online
Thanks.

I did go up to Road Atlanta last Saturday to watch the Peachstate DE event.

I enjoyed talking with about a dozen guys and seeing a very interesting group of Porsche cars. I didn't get to talk to any of the officials since they were located down on the grid and pit row (and I wore shorts).

I'll certainly attend a future event.

Quick Reply: The Hobby Car...