Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The Hobby Car...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Daniel Dudley
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would read Panorama just for the ads. And I have to say that selling my 81 euro coupe was about the dumbest thing I have done in years, and after reading that article, I am itching to have another 911. I keep telling myself it was because I wanted a Targa. A targa, yeah,yeah, That's the ticket !
Old 07-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Woody
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default membership

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I guess I don't understand your statement. Ultimately, the local region is what PCA is about. Sure, it is PC of AMERICA, but the local region is where most of us spend our time, and is really our club and what we identify with.
Maybe I am wrong but I figured that PCA membership was needed for club regional membership. That is what I was getting at.
W
Old 07-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Rice
Instructor

Presently, I am debating joing PCA since buying my 1987 911 four months ago. I went to previous meetings to try and learn as much as possible before buying my car. I learned alot especially at a barbeque where I met a mechanic and hooked up with a friend who I didn't know had a porsche. He invited me to drive his in the mountains one weekend. Great learning experience since we drove for about five hours. One thing that I am not sure about joining is the arrogance of the 996/997/Cayman crowd via the air cooled crowd. This is the feeling I got before owning a car. I don't know what it would be like since I own an air cooled now.

Now that I have mine, I am learning how to do the mechanics on this forum, the Pelican and through books. I am not sure if joining PCA will be beneficial since I can't make all the regional meetings and they don't talk about mechanics at the meetings anyway. Anyone have any suggestions for me?
Old 07-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

NNJR is a really active region with lots of events, I dont base what I think of PCA on their sub standard national publication.
Anyone ever read the BMW clubs Roundel? what an good read that usually is! and I dont even have a BMW these days.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:33 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

I get the PCA publication and it takes maybe 3 minutes to get thru it. Then 10 minutes to read the classified.

"A cheese and wine group". This is one comment and the context of several comments I have heard re: PCA. I belong and have never gone to a meeting, however I did talk to the Orange county Ca bunch and they seemed down to earth and would let other brands run at driving events (not sure about actual races). I am happy that is where our membership is, because when the car is ready, and we have the mad money--- that will be home.

However, I can come here everyday for the meeting, show up early or late and still not miss anything. I can speak on equal terms with some of the best in the Nation, and learn a bunch every week. Upon occasion, someone has no time for fools and I get berated, for a bad question or an opinion that is not needed. Still fun and a growth process.

If one were to look at the mind set of this club house, it is of engineer and wrench mentality. The term Engineer not necessarily defined by a piece of paper but by a thinking process. Wrench being defined as a tinker who does not have the stellar advanced thinking, but can appreciate it.

Not everyone is of this mentality. For those who make a bizillion $ and love the P car but do not have the grasp of mechanical thingies or the ability or interest to race, the need to meet and associate may still be there, but not for me. The guy who is treated like a rock star in his corporation need not be subjected to the wrench process. He can buy it and money is the only price he pays. Not time and frustration and that lost feeling that we all have had. However---

God bless those boys. Cause they buy the expensive toys that you and I can one day own and enjoy. They took them to the shop while we buy tools and books to keep functional. ---- BUT, most importantly, some of them keep our experts in business now. I do have a pair of Nocona boots and a beat up Stetson. I don’t have a pair of Gucci shoes or a Ralph Loren get up. If the 2nd had store has those cast off items I will get me some Just like I got me a Porsche 911sc.

. Fine things are good for everyone, just at different pricing levels and the buyers may be different breeds of cat. But, never the less, cats.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Germancar90
Instructor

Originally Posted by MDL
I agree. I would like to see more DIY stuff as well. Pano seems to cater to the owners of newer cars rather than the grass roots hobbyists, which is a shame. I have not found any publications that fill this nitch in the Porsche world. If I want to read about how to do something about my 69 Camaro I can go to any grocery store and find at least 5 or 6 mags with all kinds of articals. Not so for Porsche. If there is a publication out there I would love to learn about it.

I will say that Pano has by far the best photography work of any publication I have seen. Leonard Turner's work is incredible. I also think they have a good classified section. Hey...you can't beat free!
How about excellence. They seem to have a great balance between new and old. I enjoy every issue.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Sboxin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, that is a very good article and info on the SC.
My son recently bought POC Chris Wiles' 78 911 SC w/3.2 for the track here in Phoenix and elsewhere. It is a great track car and he is getting good seat time - recently at WSIR with NASA.
Our Indy DJ Jackson, said it may be 'bullet proof'

The Pano article helped relieve some anxiety over the purchase.

And, we have found PCA here in Arizona very friendly, helpful and plenty active.

Ed
Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The Maverick region in the DFW area was awesome. 5 or so full weekend DE's a year at a mix of tracks. And they also did a number of AutoX's too. VERY track and club racing focused.

So far, San Diego seems pretty laid back, a number of AutoX's a year at the Q-not as many track events, which is understandable due to the tracks being a ways away. I'll probably do an AX or two to give it a try, and I've got my trailer now to haul Ruby to Willow. I'm probably going to join POC too.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:17 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

As a long time member of PCA I have also witnessed the evolution of PCA. Perhaps it's related to particular region, but I think it's fairly universal. What used to be an enthusiast's club has turned into a wine and cheese social, with little regard for something that's cooled with air and oil. Just today I was snubbed by a 993 cab and countless 996s and Boxsters. At least the 356 cab owner knew the traditional greeting!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 AM
pchak
Pro

Hi all,
Just started "lurking" from the 996 (and previous 993) threads. I'm thinking of dumpning the 996 (great car, but probably the most benign Porsche that I've owned in 20+ years, 300+ hp or not) and getting an SC or a 80's Carrera. That Pano article I think was the tipping point. I'll put my car up for sale, and buy one in the Spring, which will let me skim for all the pre-purchase pointers here as well.

As far as PCA goes, I've been a member for 21 years this month, and our region has a great group of people in it. I can't imagine not being a member.

cheers!

P.S. I saw the comment about "wine and cheese" socials. There's nothing wrong with that, especially when you have a hard-charging group of DE and autoX (and even some rally) people as well. PCA has never been just about competition. Our region strives to have just about every kind of event, so no one feels left out. Now, on the other hand, it pains me that nobody "flashes" anymore. I hate to point fingers, but most of the uninitiated are the "newer" car owners.

Last edited by pchak; 07-28-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
travman
6th Gear

Is this article available electronically? Not a PCA member (yet) but still searching for my SC.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2008, 03:03 PM
pchak
Pro

I checked, and Pano is not on-line.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:34 PM
sig_a
Pro

Schranger's article was interesting enough to read twice. If nothing else, it suits the times.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:43 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not yet read the article (too much time living life), but thank god my region has 8 Autocrosses and 10 DE's this year. Plus short (3-4 hour) tours every month (April to September), and 4 long (multi day) tours through out the season. Plus dinners and other social events. They are all full and we usually have waiting lists.

If you guys want your region to be active, get out and host the activities. If you do them, they will come! That is how it works here.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:51 AM
VintageRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 456 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
A little bit of history that leads to a discussion about the 911SC, their pricing, desirability, a few pointers regarding what to expect regarding repairs, but most of all, how they are still available at prices that many of us can actually afford.
Does anyone have a link to the article? Can anyone scan it?

I'd really like to read it. I am looking for a 911SC coupe or 1984-1989 Carrera (coupe) and would find this article interesting. Anyone have a 1988 Club Sport FS?

P/S I enjoy a good California red and Coors Light.

Quick Reply: The Hobby Car...