Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 PM
porsche4us

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade

Well I've decided that my factory Blaupunkt stereo is tired and needs to be removed. I've been looking at some stereo's from Blaupunkt that might fit my requirements. I would like something as simple and clean as possible that would match the factory look as much as possible. No fancy chrome, powered faceplate lights etc. What would you guys recommend for installation? I was thinking of upgrading to a new CD stereo that was factory installed in a 993 or 964 but then again a new stereo might be the best value in terms of value and warranty. Finally, most of my speakers are past their prime and will need to be replaced. Again I would like to keep the appearance as stock as possible. Perhaps someone with a clean and simple setup has some input? Cheers
Old 07-24-2008, 02:09 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm a purist and really enjoy the factory look, but when it comes to audio, it's almost a must to replace the factory Blau units from the '80's. They are just not up to par as compared to more modern units.

As far as head units go, there are many choices. Alpine still makes one of the best sounding head units out there. Nakamichi makes great head units without as much bling as others. Pioneer's DEH-P800PRS is a great looking, very simple (almost shaft style) unit that is getting good reviews. Lots of on board features such as time alignment, large eq and crossovers for not too much money.

For speakers, I've recently installed a set of Hertz HCX 130.3's coaxials in my '84 coupe. They drop right in with no modifications necessary. The grills are round metal grills that are very understated and look great in the doors. The big plus is that they have good sensitivity and have a fabric tweeter. Bass response is average, but they have clean mids and most importantly, they are relatively smooth on the upper frequencies. They are somewhat cheap speakers at $220 for a pair, but if you want a drop in co-axial, these can't be beat for the price. I'm a long time audiophile, and these will do the trick for me for now. Again, the shortcomings on this speaker are a very simple crossover and the tweet could be dialed back just a bit to smooth out response at high volumes if it were a different design with an outboard crossover.

I've found that if you look for a European manufacturer that provides a 130 mm driver verse a US Spec 5.25" speaker, the 130mm speakers drop right in where as the 5.25" US spec speakers will need a bit of massaging to fit (depending on what you get). The door speakers in 911's are not 5.25", but are 130mm which translate roughly to a 5 and 1/8th" speaker.

Pioneer now makes a very slim mount 8" sub (along with a slim 10" and 12"). I've installed one of these 8" slim subs in the Pioneer cabinet that they offer for this driver. About $180 for the pair is what I paid. While not audiophile quality, it's a great sub that is quite punchy and is a true sub with decent low frequency extension. The 8" sub has some shortcomings due to it's low pricing (you get what you pay for) in the fact that some frequencies are exaggerated and some tubbiness occurs, but with the correct crossover point set, things clean up and it's very, very acceptable. Technology has come a long way and for $85, you can't beat this slim mount sub. Yes, it's that good.

The small cabinet and sub will fit with ease behind either front seat. Not real great cosmetically, but a cheap solution to adding a sub quickly.

Since this 8" sub works for me, I'll be having a stereo shop custom build a cabinet for me to allow me to fit this little sub under the passenger seat. The Pioneer cabinet is just a touch too high (by about an 1") to slide under the seat if you wish to have a grill on the sub. Without a grill, the assembly will fit, but you run the risk of slicing the sub with the springs and such that are under the seat. Again, I have the older style factory seats in my '84 and don't remember if the newer style seats (in use since '85) will allow for more room. All the specs for the slim subs and cabinets are on Pioneer's website.

I'm assuming you have a cabrio due to your avatar, but if not, Kenwood makes a decent 4x6" co-axial that drops right in to the rear deck and comes with new grills. I have not found a replacement for the rear deck speakers that will work with the factory grills.

Hope this helps!

If anyone needs pics of my setup, PM with your email and I'll send 'em off.

Best,

Jay
90 964
84 3.2
Old 07-24-2008, 02:41 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

I agree with the above, I think you are going to have to give up the purist look. Just get something low key. Also consider ipod computability if you use such a device. I just got a cheapo sony unit that dropped right in and hooks up directly to my ipod, only $130 and it's all I needed.

I guess it also depends on what kind of coin you are willing to invest in this stereo.

-matt
Old 07-24-2008, 02:49 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Nakamichis are great for simple cosmetics. I would actually care more about how the stereo looks in my car than the sound. As it is, I never turn it on, but if I were to go buy head unit, I think the Nakamichis fit the bill for as close as possible to period looks.

Actually, I have the original stereo for my car, which I'm probably going to reinstall, so I really should not be participitating in this thread in the first place. LOL

Brett
Old 07-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by porsche4us
I was thinking of upgrading to a new CD stereo that was factory installed in a 993 or 964 but then again a new stereo might be the best value in terms of value and warranty.
I'll just add that many of the factory CD players from the 964 and 993 were rebadged Alpine units. They were great units and I have about 6 Alpines (cassette and CD) from the late '80's and early 90's that were wonderful when new and sound great even now, but even a new $129 Alpine sounds better. I've been recently able to A-B a 1991 Alpine with a 2005 Alpine both mounted in my '84 to somewhat back up that claim of newer is most likely better in this instance (though I applaud and agree with your reasoning to keep things looking very stock).

The big thing is that it's hard to find someone to work on these old units should they need service. They sometimes don't want to read some of the newer writeable CD's...
Old 07-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by Brett San Diego
Actually, I have the original stereo for my car, which I'm probably going to reinstall, so I really should not be participitating in this thread in the first place. LOL

Brett
At this point, I'd suggest not tossing any of the old stereo equipment from any of these cars. Shove it on the shelf in a plastic bag and let it appreciate. Old stereos from the '60's and '70's can be valuable at this point in time as the early cars appreciate and collectors look for stuff to make them bone stock once again.

www.swstereo.com has some vintage looking Blaupunkt Dearborn's if you really want a factory look and a fresh head unit for $189. It's only cassette though...

Old 07-24-2008, 04:09 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Problem with a cab is that with the roof down and the car on and driving, you don't get great accoustics. I don't have one yet, but I would imagine a sub would help tremendously. The previous owner of my car put in an eclipse head unit which is pretty understated, but I have no idea of the quality. You should talk to imcarthur about a cabriolet install. He did a really neat install in his car that he seems quite happy with. Here is his site that shows what he did.

http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/system.htm
Old 07-24-2008, 04:15 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by justinsrx7
Problem with a cab is that with the roof down and the car on and driving, you don't get great accoustics.
Agreed. Even on my coupe, the car has such a high noise floor that you really need power and efficient speakers to overcome all that motor and road noise.

So, power amps and a sub or two are almost a necessity in these cars to get some sort of fidelity and decent listening level.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Not so fast my little friend....here is a purist look..

Originally Posted by old man neri
I agree with the above, I think you are going to have to give up the purist look. Just get something low key. Also consider ipod computability if you use such a device. I just got a cheapo sony unit that dropped right in and hooks up directly to my ipod, only $130 and it's all I needed.

I guess it also depends on what kind of coin you are willing to invest in this stereo.

-matt

Take a look at Blaupunkt Nevada RDM 168 with cd player. 4x40wt unit. Fits nicely and it looks like it belongs all black face. Its not "pure"...but it looks like it belongs. For speakers...if you are going to keep the same grills you have very few options. Either take the door panel off and place the speaker from behind or again little other choices. I bought for the front doors speakers from Clarion and its a direct fit. The grill is a close match to the original...more round than squarish..but it looks pure. The back two little speakers are 4" Memphis Car Stereo 15-SER40 "street edge". They are a perfect fit and you can keep the original grills. This will give you a much improved sound for little money. On the other hand, if you want to spend alot and add amps/subwoofer/superhightech.....then this is not the way to go. BTW I have a 83SC. I am also sure they do not make these units....so you may have to buy used. I am not sure but the Alaska unit may be similar. Check ebay.
abe

Last edited by abe; 07-24-2008 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:02 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jay H
At this point, I'd suggest not tossing any of the old stereo equipment from any of these cars. Shove it on the shelf in a plastic bag and let it appreciate. Old stereos from the '60's and '70's can be valuable at this point in time as the early cars appreciate and collectors look for stuff to make them bone stock once again.
Yeah, I also have the original radio to my 356 (uninstalled). I understand that it might bring around $1000 by itself.

Brett
Old 07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Real
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tunes

Hey Porsche4us,

I have an '86 Cab. and although I love listening to the sound of the engine...there is something to be said for cruising down a nice stretch of roadway while listening to some of your favorite tunes.

I chose my new stereo by doing a Google and simply comparing mid priced product which had what I thought I may want (Kenwood, CD, ipod & HD satelite capability...$125.00). I then purchased stock size Pioneer speakers with integrated tweaters ($100.00). This was sufficient for the second half of last year but with the top down basically all the time the quality was not present for what I wanted and that was some high quality Jazz (perhaps some Joey Calderazzo).

This year I purchased & installed a BOSS 8" powered sub (600 watts @ $100.00) which came in its own case and fit perfectly under the passenger seat sliding it under from back to front. There was no need to have a cabinet made & lose any well needed space in the car and the install took 1 hr. max.. I had no experience installing this type of system...just a willing friend to help and some desire to do it myself. I'm certainly not suggesting that this is what you need but the sound quality is absolutely fantastic at a reasonable price.

Best of luck to you.

Real

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade