New stereo.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 02:18 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Default New stereo.

Okay,

So I just installed a new stereo for in my 911. The installation was a breeze because it is the same maker as the last unit. Just the newer unit has ipod support and has a cable coming out of the back of it for the ipod. So no more burning CDs and then changing them while I am driving. Just leave my ipod plugged and it even charges it while I drive.

1) What is the best way to remove, drill, make a hole, or get a cable into the glove box from behind. I just want to lock my ipod in there without a cable sticking out. It looks like they did a very good job of making it almost air tight, I can't find a way to sneak a cable into there from behind. Or any other ideas where I can hide the ipod and wire when I am parked/driving. I really don't want someone to smash my window and tax my ipod.

2) The unit came with a remote. Can someone please explain to me what the purpose of this is? Is it so that your back seat passengers can **** with your music while your drive? Is it so that when you are trying to get it on with a woman in the back you can change the tune? For the life of my I cannot find a use for the remote short of throwing it at someone...but then they would be able to control my music.

-matt
Old 07-24-2008, 10:18 AM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

I have an ipod setup in my audi and they were able to snake the wire without cutting a hole. As for the 911, the previous owner hard wired a phone battery charger cable into the glove box and he drilled a hole just big enough to get the cable in.

As for the remote, I have them for a couple of my cars and they are really stupid. The one time i used it was camping. We were all sitting outside by the car listening to the tunes and I was able to control it from my lounge chair. Other than that, I have no idea.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:38 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by old man neri
Okay,

So I just installed a new stereo for in my 911. The installation was a breeze because it is the same maker as the last unit. Just the newer unit has ipod support and has a cable coming out of the back of it for the ipod. So no more burning CDs and then changing them while I am driving. Just leave my ipod plugged and it even charges it while I drive.

1) What is the best way to remove, drill, make a hole, or get a cable into the glove box from behind. I just want to lock my ipod in there without a cable sticking out. It looks like they did a very good job of making it almost air tight, I can't find a way to sneak a cable into there from behind. Or any other ideas where I can hide the ipod and wire when I am parked/driving. I really don't want someone to smash my window and tax my ipod.

2) The unit came with a remote. Can someone please explain to me what the purpose of this is? Is it so that your back seat passengers can **** with your music while your drive? Is it so that when you are trying to get it on with a woman in the back you can change the tune? For the life of my I cannot find a use for the remote short of throwing it at someone...but then they would be able to control my music.

-matt
Funny as heelll......Matt.

Best,

Doyle
Old 07-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Real
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ipod wire

Hey Matt,

I was able to route a wire into the glove box where the top right of the box meets the dash. You can move the box a bit while using caution with a flat screw driver and route your wire in. Hope this works for you.

Good luck,
Real
Old 07-25-2008, 03:05 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
2) The unit came with a remote. Can someone please explain to me what the purpose of this is? Is it so that your back seat passengers can *** with your music while you drive?
Matt,

Being active in car audio since the mid '80's, I always thought that remotes came to be due to audio competitions where competitors competed for top db levels. At the levels these car systems pushed, you wouldn't dare be inside the car, so head unit companies developed remotes to control the system while outside the car.

Back when remotes first came out (early 90's?), only high end head units had a remote. I had a very high end Alpine with a remote and I never used it. However, I suspect as things developed in the car audio world, in order to attract a buyer to a head unit (and R&D costs decreased as remote technology became common), manufacturers offered remotes in less expensive units.

Just pure speculation on my part, but a possible explanation.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:30 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it depends on the placement of the deck too - some find it's less obtrusive / distracting from driving to have the remote on your lap, vs. reaching over & trying to focus on the buttons on the radio.

Personally, I RARELY use the remotes now, though I did in my old SHO with the Nakamichi.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:40 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Matt, I'm looking to upgrade as well.
What did you get?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:19 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by irobertson
Matt, I'm looking to upgrade as well.
What did you get?
A very cheap-*** sony CDX GT420IP, on sale at Canadian Tire right now. I got a sony because the previous one in there was a sony so it fit right in with out needing to do any splicing, wiring, or other. I just got the basic unit that has ipod functionality, I didn't feel like doing the 30hr drive back home with only 8 CDs again and no radio.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:21 PM
psychoideas
Drifting

Sticky tape the rmote to your steering wheel!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:11 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

I had a hard time finding a quality unit without a remote.
Not to mention enough gadgets to make you just listen to the flat six because you can't figure out how to change the station.
I found Alpine has a basic unit with the higher end amp and no remote.
Still can't figure it out without the owners manual.
Does anyone ever take the face off anymore?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:38 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Does anyone ever take the face off anymore?
No, unless I were to park in a sketchy area at night. With the face off it's very hard to tell that there is suppose to be a stereo there at all. Of course if I park in a sketchy area at night I would also be leaving my doors unlocked so I want to make sure they can't pull my deck.

-matt

Quick Reply: New stereo.