Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Clutch Cable Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 06:23 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Cable Replacement

So... Im driving my 83 SC Targa, 94k miles... when my clutch cable snapped... Im sure it was original... I got her home, went through a few stop signs in the process.
Are there any "while your in there" parts I should replace? or is it as simple as putting a new cable in...
Also when I did my SSI's I distinctly remember that the round spring at the trans was slightly in the way... So i just pushed it about a 1/4 inch to the one side. All it seemed to do was change the tension abit. Hopefully this didnt lead to my issue...
Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2008, 06:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,134 Likes on 810 Posts

Brad the cutch canle was one of the first things I did on my car, found it pretty straight forward. I used the bentley. the adjustment can be a bit finikey the first time you do it. In fact I did , went for a drive and let the cable " settle in" and did it again. Has been no issues since
Old 07-20-2008, 07:46 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

I just replaced mine this morning. Mine was not broken but really worn with the plastic cover split in a few places. The cable was really hard to pull thru the casing. It feels like I have a totally new 915 to me.

One tip I will give you as Pete told me. Make sure to buy an OE piece not an aftermarket cable. It will cost you about $85. I have seen them in Performance Parts for about $30...but those are the ones you do not want.

I followed Pete's instructions along with the Bentley and had no problems changing it out. Well except my hands are not tiny and getting the locking pin back in the clevis was a bitch.
Old 07-20-2008, 08:20 PM
v8_ranch
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by flatsixnut
Well except my hands are not tiny and getting the locking pin back in the clevis was a bitch.
Amen to that! Man what a pain that was.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
Brads911sc
Racer

Thanks ALL. Yes... already ordered the $85 version. Going up north for three weeks tomorrow... so wont get to do the job until after I get back on 8/9. Ill let you all know when its done.

Brad
Old 07-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Michael: Great news!
Old 07-21-2008, 06:45 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Michael: Great news!
Oh heck yeah! You can read my comments in my thread...unbelievable how well the car shifts now. It was like night and day how smooth the new cable was compaired to the old one. I would highly suggest to anyone having shifting problems to check the clutch cable first...it cant hurt to check.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Years ago I ran a Carrera RSR pressure plate in my SC (as it was turbo-charged) and found that the clutch cable stretches quite a bit. Be prepared to go in another time to adjust it after awhile. Also,--have you replaced your pedal cluster bears with the bronze ones? That's a given for these cars. Also, check the end of the cruise control release which you may impact while in there.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Also,--have you replaced your pedal cluster bears with the bronze ones? That's a given for these cars.
Counterpoint! I believe that o.e. plastic bushings should be used for replacements. With plastic, they last 150K miles on more, the chance of pedal assembly damage is virtually zero (as opposed to metal-to-metal bushings). As P-car prices go higher and higher, and parts get harder to find, and shipping surcharges now accompany many purchases, I would not want to go out looking for pedal cluster parts in good condition, or buy new replacements!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Brads911sc
Racer

Thanks Pete.

Quick Reply: Clutch Cable Replacement