Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Monty Muffler Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:00 PM
nyne11
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monty Muffler Question

Will Monty M22 dual outlet fit 86 3.2 Carrera? This muffler is manufacture for 2.7. Is there a difference in flange distances or diameters?
Dave.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:11 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Monty dual in, single out muffler purchased from Steve Weiner. I can't find "Monty M22" on google or on Steve's website, but if an M22 is dual IN muffler, it won't fit an 86 unless you backdate the exhaust. Which means removing your existing mufflers and catalytic convertor down to the exhaust studs, removing the existing oil return line at the bottom of the engine, putting on backdated heat exchangers like on the early 911's (like SSI's), then hooking up the dual in muffler to the HE's. You would also have to put a backdated oil return line onto the back of the engine that looks like a big horseshoe on the end. The oil line goes up and over the transmission and bolts down by the oil cooler. Then you hook up a new oil line from here, back to the oil tank.

It is definitely not easy but it is do-able. The big risk is breaking one of the exhaust studs. Then you need to drill it out with a special tool and replace the stud. (sadly, I know this.)

I know you are in australia from your avatar, and I know Monty's are manufactured there. They are highly regarded here in the US and mine sounds great. As Steve pointed out when he sold it to me, it is not super loud. It is a refined, subdued growl. But did I mention it sounds great?
Old 07-16-2008, 11:24 PM
nyne11
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SeattlePorsche
I have a Monty dual in, single out muffler purchased from Steve Weiner. I can't find "Monty M22" on google or on Steve's website, but if an M22 is dual IN muffler, it won't fit an 86 unless you backdate the exhaust. Which means removing your existing mufflers and catalytic convertor down to the exhaust studs, removing the existing oil return line at the bottom of the engine, putting on backdated heat exchangers like on the early 911's (like SSI's), then hooking up the dual in muffler to the HE's. You would also have to put a backdated oil return line onto the back of the engine that looks like a big horseshoe on the end. The oil line goes up and over the transmission and bolts down by the oil cooler. Then you hook up a new oil line from here, back to the oil tank.

It is definitely not easy but it is do-able. The big risk is breaking one of the exhaust studs. Then you need to drill it out with a special tool and replace the stud. (sadly, I know this.)

I know you are in australia from your avatar, and I know Monty's are manufactured there. They are highly regarded here in the US and mine sounds great. As Steve pointed out when he sold it to me, it is not super loud. It is a refined, subdued growl. But did I mention it sounds great?
OK Thanks for the reply. It is a dual in/dual out so that has definitely answered my question. There is one listed on Ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=016 but I will have to wait until a compatible unit surfaces. Thanks again.
Dave.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 AM
911SC SKI
Advanced

Australia totally Rocks!

That's obviously a given, however, I didn't realise they were also the manufacturers of the fine Monty product that Steve W has recommended vigorously in the past.

I also have had very little luck finding Monty mufflers or suppliers on the internet. Google or otherwise.

Perhaps the manufacturer should hied this and do something that makes their product more accessible?

I do find this attitude.......from Monty........typically Australian: 'The product is the best, we're the best, who cares if no-one else knows, let's have a beer! If they want it...........they'll find it; she'll be right!

When the SSI's go on.........it's a Monty for me!

I always was just going to have one because it's the only muffler that I've ever heard any experts really insist on............I quote Steve W, "There is nothing like a Monty" (I didn't even have to look that up...........his quote is stuck in my mind from a post I read over a year ago).

Now I find that they are Australian to boot! ........... there is no option!

Old 07-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Australia DOES rock,....

Some thoughts on this subject,..........

1) Mufflers are a small part of what Monty does; manufacturing high-end bicycles is one of their main fortes.

2) The US importer of Monty mufflers has suffered losses from the now exorbitant cost of shipping and unfavorable exchange rates. Both have conspired to price these very well made products above their competitors and that makes it VERY tough to invest the capital to get any chance of recovery. I don't know any business that stays afloat with that practice so these are going to be difficult to get in the US until something changes.

3) IMHO, Monty mufflers are head & shoulders above anything else for the combination of reasonable sound that does NOT drone in the cabin and build quality. Unfortunately, the end prices will determine whether people have access to them here.

If anyone has further questions, please e-mail me directly,....
Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Steve W.

Email sent
Old 07-17-2008, 12:02 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

I have had a monty and it sounded fantastic and looks oem apart from the size of the tail pipe, I do think the m&k/rarelyL8 system I have now is better in terms of technology, the straight through design is much more up to date and would have to flow better, also weighs about 1/4 of even the monty.

NYNE11, grab that muffler and hunt down some 993 exchangers, you'll have a better system than the dog's breakfast 3.2 and shouldn't cost a lot. Double check but I'm pretty sure 993 exchangers will mate up to that muffler. I would do this system if I wasn't running what I have now.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by spence88mph
I have had a monty and it sounded fantastic and looks oem apart from the size of the tail pipe, I do think the m&k/rarelyL8 system I have now is better in terms of technology, the straight through design is much more up to date and would have to flow better, also weighs about 1/4 of even the monty.
Having dyno'ed quite a few mufflers in my time, I can tell you there is a LOT more about 911 exhausts than meets the eye and flow is not the main criteria. As they say, "Never judge a book by its cover".

I've seen quite a few mufflers that looked good as well as sounded nice, but simply killed power at either (and sometimes both) ends of the power range.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys are killin' me out here in stockland. Dang it steve, send me a quote already.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:01 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Having dyno'ed quite a few mufflers in my time, I can tell you there is a LOT more about 911 exhausts than meets the eye and flow is not the main criteria. As they say, "Never judge a book by its cover".

I've seen quite a few mufflers that looked good as well as sounded nice, but simply killed power at either (and sometimes both) ends of the power range.
I agree completely, I just can't see how an offset baffle design could ever produce more power than a straight through system... If that was the case race meetings and track days would be a lot quieter!
I understand it can sacrifice low end torque though.

Don't get me wrong, the monty is a great piece of kit, I loved every minute of owning one, combined with a fabspeed cat bypass it did unleash some extra power. I'm just saying if you can't get them over there there are alternatives.

Quick Reply: Monty Muffler Question