Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hanging RPMs

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:40 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hanging RPMs

Yesterday I noticed that my rpms aren't really dropping during shifting when I press the clutch. It's not until I release the clutch in gear that the revs drop. Furthermore in 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd I think I kind of notice the RPM's jump up a bit when the clutch is disengaged.

I'm 99% sure that it didn't do this before (there's alway that 1% where you say to yourself "did I just not notice this before?").

If I'm at a stand still and I blip the throttle, it seems to hang a bit in the 2,500 rpm range before it drops.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by arbeitm; 07-16-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:05 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

When you say this, do you mean you see/hear the actual engine behavior, or is it just the tach needle you see doing this?

If the engine is indeed behaving thusly, you've got something screwy. The easiest to check is a stuck throttle linkage or throttle.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You aren't going to an autocross event in the morning are you?
Old 07-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Old 07-16-2008, 10:30 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
When you say this, do you mean you see/hear the actual engine behavior, or is it just the tach needle you see doing this?

If the engine is indeed behaving thusly, you've got something screwy. The easiest to check is a stuck throttle linkage or throttle.
It's both engine and tach.

Originally Posted by douglas bray
You aren't going to an autocross event in the morning are you?
Actually, I do have one one Saturday!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

You've got an unsafe car to take to the track. Something is sticking. Look at all of the obvious stuff from your gas pedal back. Hopefully you'll find something obvious like a weak throttle return spring, sticky linkage, etc.

I've seen bad advice posted on this subject before, but do not accept anyone stating it is "ok" to track like this. It isn't. If you do, you not only endanger yourself, but more importantly, others and their cars.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:24 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Matt, please forgive us. If we didn't do this here we'd have a masive drinking problem. that was a bad inside joke and I hope you will forgive me. It's time to check every single little thing that it could be. No joke. I have a 3.2 so I'm not much help, but I'd be under, over, around, and next to anything that moves related to fuel delivery from pedal on....
Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Brads911sc
Racer

HAHA Doug Good one.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

No problem. I didn't really get it until Ed explained it. Then I figured it was an inside joke.

I don't think I'm doing a good job explaining it. It doesn't seem to be a throttle issue. I'll check out the cables, etc. But I'm leaning more towards a cis issue (like the decel valve). It seems like it is related to my idle issue and cold start issue.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:05 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

I think i would have the car parked and see if it will stick at higher rpm. With the engine running see if the throttle rocker arm on the driver side of the air box(has the throttle wire attached that runs to the front of the car) is home on the stop. If when you push it to to the stop and there is no drop in rpm, then is the stop nut on that screw tight or did it loosen up and the screw has adjusted itself in.
From there I wuld go to the front and see if the gas pedel is not returning home completely and the wire is clear. From there it is under the car and see if there is anything obvious.

Quick Reply: Hanging RPMs