Oil cooler in wing

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Pete the Swede
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler in wing

Hi there.
Anyone here tried to mount an external oil cooler in the wing of a SC or Carrera? Looking for an option of the front oil cooler.

//Peter
Old 07-13-2008, 04:39 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you mean in the front or the back?
Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Pete the Swede
6th Gear

I was thinking of putting it in the rear wing or actually two coolers. Found nice compact ones of the brand Mesa.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:32 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

I'm pretty sure factory slantnose cars had a small cooler in the rear right fender/wing. Keep in mind: oil coolers designed for supplemental use on water-cooled cars often don't have sufficient capacity and/or flow rate for a cooling system which is exclusively oil-based like the 911's. Also, aftermarket thermostats aren't the same as the factory one, which also functions as a pressure regulator. (There's also a good argument against adding any weight behind the rear axle on a 911, although that's not a huge consideration.)
Old 07-15-2008, 03:08 PM
Pete the Swede
6th Gear

Okay.
Thank's Jack. Will take that in consideration. Actually the thermostat broke and I was thinking of adding one external together then with the new coolers. I will give it a try and get back wit some picures and results.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:17 PM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

I think Pete was meaning in his rear deck spoiler Jack. Not the fenders (wings). I am no expert but I would not reccomend putting it in the deck lid. One thing you that would be a pain in the **** is having the oil lines running up into the lid, plus if they ever leaked that would be a mess.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:35 PM
jester911
Drifting

It seems putting the oil cooler in the rear decklid would be counterproductive. You would be blocking some of the air going in to cool the engine and the added heat from the cooler wouldn't help either.

When I removed the A/C condenser from there my average temp dropped 10 deg. YMMV
Old 07-15-2008, 05:05 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Putting the cooler in the rear decklid is 'robbing Peter to pay Paul' -- no sense in heating up the air that's supposed to cool your engine.

Pete, if your threads are stripped on your stock thermostat, there are inexpensive kits to fix that. There are also rebuild kits for the thermostat itself, if it's not opening and closing correctly.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:27 AM
Pete the Swede
6th Gear

I was trying to replace one of the pipes when the thermostat broke in two pieces during dismounting the pipe. That's when I got the idea of an other solution. My plan was placing the coolers in the right part of the wing making vent ribs in the lower/rear part (of the wing) to get air flow through the coolers away from the intake fan. To make sure also the plan was to make som kind of simple air duct isolating hot or warm air from getting into the engine fan. Complicated? Most certain! Why make things simple?

Quick Reply: Oil cooler in wing