Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rebuilt 915 Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:30 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt 915 Opinion

Who's done it and any feedback, good, bad or ugly?

Not the DIY (James, you a mad man), just swap.

Guys please help if you can, whom have you purchased from and post your results, findings opinion poll:

Old 07-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you can take direction, understand english, and are a willing student, Pete can get you thru this BLINDFOLDED.

If that doesn't work, we have a long list of vendors that would love to take your money.

EDIT: Do an advanced search for 915 and you will find that Pete is sole owner of the brain trust on this one.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...&highlight=915
Old 07-10-2008, 09:13 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Thanks Douglas!

Yeah, was on the phone with Peter. He is so cool
Old 07-10-2008, 09:22 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on help from Pete. I couldn't have done mine without his help.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:40 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Keep his number on the down low. it should be a 900 number. He is as good a shrink as he is a mechanic.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't you need some special tools to do a DIY tranny rebuild?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:12 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Don't you need some special tools to do a DIY tranny rebuild?
Oh yes you do
Old 07-11-2008, 11:52 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

I had mine done.

1st place quoted $4k with me handing them the trans out of the car.

2nd place was "around $3000" for the trans rebuild, with the Sachs Power Clutch, rear main, etc. - parts & labor. Clutch / trans related ended up being $3500 ish, total bill of "while you're in there's" was $5500. I provided a new clutch cable which I already had.

Job was done quickly, there were a couple of things left over from the job that I wasn't thrilled with, but other than that, nothing significant.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

-----Draco------------------------

When i posted about this, sometime back, Peter suggested the Porsche Factory Manual as the best source. I have the 6 manual set and can send you a copy of those pages, if I know the volume and page #. These are on Ebay at some major money so I may or may not have them in a week or so.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
there were a couple of things left over from the job that I wasn't thrilled with, but other than that, nothing significant.
Fred, um, left over?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:12 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

I did it myself. If you don't need to go into the differential you should be able to do it with help from the board. I spent about $1,300 in parts and tools and many hours researching and reading how others had done it. I made the Deeeeeeep socket myself. I would see if anyone in your local PCA groups has done it and has the tools. Pete will help you with any off your technical questions but he will probably criticize your DIY methods when it comes to the 915 transmission.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...light=cam+tool

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...light=915+tool

This to threads and the links they post in them will let you know enough to get through it.

I had the Bentley and the Factory shop manual and I thought the Bentley was better though it tends to have a lot of mistakes in it.
Attached Images   
Old 07-11-2008, 02:57 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by douglas bray
Fred, um, left over?
Tach still not working right since service, even after NH Speedo fixed it...

Cruise Cable clip broken (during service??)

3rd gear hard to get into (& only 3rd gear). He says it's perfect / normal 915, and I'm just moving over too far, but it's only say, 1 in 4-5 shifts where it's binding, and um, I've put 38,000 miles in the driver's seat of the 911 / 915 since owning. I seem to recall where 3rd gear is supposed to be. Anyway.

4th gear is somewhat hard to get out of gear sometimes, especially if not shifted out of before letting the RPMs drop below say 2500 (like coming to a stop at a light while moving along at a good clip).

The big one is still the tach. I don't know if there's a ground somewhere that's buggered up or what. 4th did that before the rebuild too. 3rd never really did that at all before the rebuild.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:34 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
3rd gear hard to get into (& only 3rd gear). He says it's perfect / normal 915, and I'm just moving over too far, but it's only say, 1 in 4-5 shifts where it's binding
4th gear is somewhat hard to get out of gear sometimes, especially if not shifted out of before letting the RPMs drop below say 2500 (like coming to a stop at a light while moving along at a good clip)
I hate to hear about this kind of thing. It's not you, Fred, it's the trans. The usual causes for your symptoms are; (1) the shift forks were not set correctly, and/or (2) the 3/4 synchros were replaced (or flipped), but mated to the old slider. When (2) is done the symptoms can become less noticeable after about 1-2K miles of driving, but in many cases never really gets "right." For (1) all bets are off and a re-do is necessary - no amount of tinkering with coupler adjustment will compensate for an internal mistake. I can make this assessment because of the number of 915s that I've fixed following work done by others, and the mistakes that I've found are pretty consistent (either the 2 - 3 shift is lousy, or the trans gets stuck in R and a forward gear). Regarding the initial fill with synthetic oil makes me nervous because that indicates a failure to understand how the transmission works, but you quickly changed the fluid to a preferred type so I don't think the fluid alone had any effect on what you're experiencing. With luck my experiences won't apply in your case, and one day you'll realize that your trans has broken in and it's shifting beautifully!
Old 07-11-2008, 03:48 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Spot on, Pete - 2-3 shift is the problem. 4-3 never a problem.

Told him about it before, will be taking it back now that I have 2k miles+ on it & still doing it. I will be HAPPY to furnish him with a gallon of Swepco vs. him putting in more whatever synth too.

IIRC, 3/4 was replaced. Hmmm... here's the info:

Replace 1st & 2nd Dog Ring,
replace all seals,
shift sleeve, 1st & 2nd,
Shift sleeve, 3rd & 4th
Guide Sleeve
Ball Cup Bushing
Lock Nut
Synth Gear Oil (3)
Trans Gasket Set
Syncro Ring (2) @ 107.20
Syncro Ring (2) @ 95.93

7 hours remove & install engine / trans;
6 hours, overhaul trans
2 hours, replace flywheel / rear main, clutch, guide tube

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, your parts list shows a 3/4 slider...

I've been thinking about your symptoms, and there is another possibility. Synchros have an installed measurement, every one must be checked, and I have come across new synchros that were not inside the allowable range, and, of course, were not used.

Quick Reply: Rebuilt 915 Opinion