Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rebuilt 915 Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:32 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine and Transmission is beyond my scope of DIY's. I prefer perifial DIY stuff, i.e. CAT BP, Plugs, Oil Changes, Brakes.

I really feel Engine, Transmission (Clutch) & Suspension (alignment) should be left to Professionals

For my Gear Box I just want to Swap/Buy.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:20 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

Well I am not sure if you wanted vendors to chime in here, but we do these all the time. I have several of these built, ready to ship to you today if you need one that quickly. The 915 is not the most difficult of gearboxes to rebuild, but it will require some specialized tooling, if you do not wish to go this route then you have two others that I can think of.

1) you could send your out to a good company for rebuild, which depending on the shop and the damage done inside could run between $2,500 to $3,000 plus shipping back and forth. ---OR---

2) you could purchase one that has already been rebuilt, with a warranty, and use yours as a core exchange. Price on this would be $2,750, plus $1,000 core fee, and shipping. The benefit to you is the time that your P-car is actually down, essentially only one day. This would be for a stock ratio, 8:31 ring and pinion, open differential gearbox.

We have several options available to you if you had in mind to do any kind of upgrades, but I figure that you are just trying to get an idea of what you choices are so I will not go into upgrades here.

Feel free to call with any questions that you might have. We are probably not the least expensive company doing this, but we very much stand behind what we do here, and you can be sure that you will get a quality gearbox for your money, excellant customer service, and a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell
Old 07-14-2008, 02:54 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Eric----------------

I have a 1983sc that has a leak at the front tranny seal. It also is balky about shifting into 1st. We have not pulled the shifter out to see if it is adjusted correctly or worn(or both). This Xmas we are going to pull the eng/trans to reseal them and install the SSI system. If the shift is still balky after the repair attempt, I intend to install a spare tranny that we have. It is supposed to be rebuilt, but in the event we were lied to, we would be looking at rebuilding. NOW, come the hard part. I have rebuilt a couple of trannies but VW is the closest I have gotten to Porsche. Like Draco, I am skeptical about my ability to do the job correctly. However, I just tagged my 69th birthday last week and besides a sky dive, a 911 tranny is on my"to do" list before I get old (rather odd I admit but everyone has different goals and mountains to climb).

So suppose that I do not discover that I am more brilliant than I hope for, and end up shipping the tranny, apart, to you. How much more for the rebuild (just a guess, not knowing how mucked it may be).
Old 07-14-2008, 03:21 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

Dear Jake,

I think rebuilding a 915 gearbox is a fine goal to have. I like to fix my own toys and would be happy to help you achieve your goal any way that would be helpful. Should you decide, after getting into it that it is simply too much to tackle, not to worry. We will happily put it right for you again. I would not think that pricing would be any more, in fact, it could quite possibly be just a bit less, as the teardown time might decrease the amount of labor time.

Keep this in mind and I think that you will be alright, take your time, designate a very big table for the project, keep accurate and detailed account of your actions, so that when you get to the point of rebuilding you can simply put it back together in the reverse of how you took it apart. Now I know that I am over simplifying this a bit, but I have found that where people get it wrong is in the area of how they organize there parts. Spacers get out of wack or misplaced and/or are placed in the wrong section.

Again, feel free to contact me anytime though with any questions you might have. I always have my cell and I am always available for help. Warmest Regards, and happy building.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell
Old 07-14-2008, 07:48 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

That's great .. a company that will take my box of bits and put it all back together .. I am keeping you guys on file .. unfortuately my ***** are bigger than my brains and this happens often :-)
Old 07-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ice, can I quote you on that?
Old 07-14-2008, 08:49 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

-------Erik----------

Thank you Sir. This gives me the option to give it a go.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

Always happy to help whenever we I can. Good luck and feel free to call if you have any questions.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2

Quick Reply: Rebuilt 915 Opinion