Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Valve adjust question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 11:06 PM
cornerhans
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve adjust question

After adjusting the valves and during a test drive of aprox 50 miles one of the adjusting nuts came loose, and upon inspection it appears that the threads are worn on the nut (but not stripped) and that was the reason for the nut coming loose and landing in the valve cover. I am wondering if it is common at 144k miles for the nuts to be worn on my 80 SC. It makes sence to me that after numerous valve adjustments this could occour.

Any feedback on this subject would be much appreciated. I have decided to go ahead and replace all 12 nuts and I am wondering if I should replace the other components in the assembly ie adjusting screws, and rocker arms.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 07-05-2008, 11:18 PM
2.7RACER
Intermediate

Over torqueing the lock nuts can and will distort the threads.
I'm afraid replacing just the nuts will not solve your problem.
It will be necessary to replace the damaged adjustment screws.
This happens with engines adjusted by ham fisted mechanics.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:34 AM
cornerhans
Instructor

Thanks for the reply 2.7. It looks like the rockers will need to be removed before installing new adjustment screws. Is there any way to do this without removing the rockers?

Thanks
Kevin
Old 07-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cornerhans
Thanks for the reply 2.7. It looks like the rockers will need to be removed before installing new adjustment screws. Is there any way to do this without removing the rockers?

Thanks
Kevin
The rocker arm must be removed to change the adjuster and nut.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:54 PM
cornerhans
Instructor

Steve,

I have started the rocker arm removal process and after 5 rockers removed things are going well.

Steve,

Are there any thoughts you could share about this task, in the removal or install process? Should I replace the rocker shafts or just the adjusting screws and nuts?

Thanks,

kevin
Old 07-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cornerhans
Steve,

Are there any thoughts you could share about this task, in the removal or install process? Should I replace the rocker shafts or just the adjusting screws and nuts?

Thanks,

kevin
Hi Kevin,

Take very careful note about which direction the shaft and hardware goes.

Shaft condition is judged by inspection so if the shafts don't show much wear, you can rotate them 180 degrees and reinstall.

Make certain the bolts are torqued up accurately.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:37 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Question....You had 1 strip out and you are doing all 12. Why? Prevention? Keep track of what rocker goes where. I'm guessing you are enjoying the work. I would. But 12 when I could have gotten away with 1,,,you must love the car. Did you find stock allen keys that worked or did you have to cut them down? It looks like a dificult but doable job. Good Luck.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:27 PM
cornerhans
Instructor

Steve-

I flagged all rockers and noted which way the hardware was installed. I will need to confirm torque specs and weather or not I should loctite prior to reinstallation. Do you sell the adjusting screws,nuts, and O rings that go in the end grooves? The current application did not have the O rings but it seems like good insurance.

Douglas-

Only one nut was compromised but I need assume all of the nuts were part of the original batch so its a matter of time before another occourance. The allen keys have a 1" leg on the short side and 5" on the leverage side and they worked well. I needed to carefully tap out a couple of the shafts but it all went smooth.

Thanks,

Kevin

Quick Reply: Valve adjust question