Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

2nd gear Gone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Erik @ Carquip
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The above is an example of when we rebuild a customers gearbox. As to the gearboxes that we already have built, ready to go, it is based on an average build price. While some of the gearboxes were probably slightly more expensive to rebuild for stock then others, the average of all of them allows me to put them out for a pretty competitive price, I think.

I could always raise the price though, if you all think that you would still be willing to pay it. (just kidding)

Hope that this helps.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2
(720) 980-9407 cell
Old 07-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Erik @ Carquip
Hey there Michael,

Well you bring up a good question, and that being how can we offer a rebuild unit for $2,500? Well it really depends on what the issue is with the gearbox in the first place. If the ring and pinion is bad, then we have some issues that would need to be addressed that would bring this price up substancially.

So where did I get this pricing from? Based on what we have seen here in general rebuilds, this is a pretty good starting point. It ranges though, to be honest depending on the amount of damage and replacement parts. While I agree that if you replaced every single bearing, all of the gears, all of the synchros, all of the internals, you would have a very expensive gearbox rebuild, this however is rarely the case.

What we do here is actually rather simple. We bring the gearbox in and tear it down to the ground. A build list is put together outlining every part that is in need of replacement. From there the customer is contacted with an outline of parts that will be replaced, as well as the firm cost of rebuild. From this point forward our pricing is then locked into place. The customer has the option at this point of moving forward with the build, or having us send it back.

I am sure that there are several people on this site that can attest to the quality and professionalism of Carquip. We have been doing this for over 30 years, and I can assure you that we do not cut corners. Once we have completed a rebuild it has a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty on it.

Just to make sure that I have addressed this. I am not claiming to be able to rebuild a 915 gearbox for $2,500, we have done several of these gearboxes for this price, and occasionally for less. We have also had rebuilds cost a bit more, again, it really depends on what the issue is and how badly beat up the internals are.

I hope that this helps some, we certainly do not want there to be any mis-understanding as to the services that we provide and the quality and durability that accompanies all of our work here. Should anyone have any questions, at any point, please feel free to contact me directly. My work and cell number are below.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2 work
(720) 980-9407 cell
I'm still not 100% clear. Your earlier post stated that the exchange program is flat $2500 plus $1000 core charge, which is returned if the ring and pinion is good. Is that it? If the ring and pinion are good, the customer gets $1000. If additional components in the core beyond your normal expectation need replacement, does that cut into the core refund? Or do you eat that extra cost? Your above post seems to describe a case where you are returning a gearbox to the original customer, not a core exchange transaction. Two different transactions being discussed here.

Thanks for your further explanation.

Brett
Old 07-01-2008, 02:10 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Erik @ Carquip
The above is an example of when we rebuild a customers gearbox. As to the gearboxes that we already have built, ready to go, it is based on an average build price. While some of the gearboxes were probably slightly more expensive to rebuild for stock then others, the average of all of them allows me to put them out for a pretty competitive price, I think.

I could always raise the price though, if you all think that you would still be willing to pay it. (just kidding)

Hope that this helps.

Erik Johnson
Carquip Sales
(303) 443-1343 ext 2
(720) 980-9407 cell
Ha, you answered my question while I was typing.

Thanks,
Brett

Quick Reply: 2nd gear Gone?