Driving a Cabriolet 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 03:09 PM
LUCKe27
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rnln
I'll make it short. I was always into coupe but (same as yours situation now) this car came a long and I had to get it. I know the convertible feel a little more flex, all the car I driven, but I guess the natural of 911 is different. My 911 convertible is not that flex. In fact, it's is hard.
Engine noise is lound, wind noise is a lot. I can not have it top down with highway speed because too much wind (and there is no rear windows glass), especially I don't have wind deflector.
A very important thing is it's leaks. I talkt o many 911 convertible and targa owner, we all have leak to some degrees. They are not built as good as modern cars.
Good luck.
I'm a bit confused. When you say the engine and wind are loud, are you implying that's a bad thing? Anyway, I drive around all the time at highway speed with the windows down and personally can't conceive of why you wouldn't (unless your date just spent a lot of time fixing her hair, and if she cares about that kind of stuff, do you really want her around anyway? ... I digress). My top doesn't leak. It sounds to me like you don't like your Porsche and should sell it to someone that can appreciate it ... then you'll have the money for one of those "modern cars". To the original poster, cabs are a blast.

I haven't been around for a while (too much work). I hope you are all doing well.
Old 06-25-2008, 03:20 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Second the hats, Doug. I brought 3 with me for the trip from RI to OH & back this past weekend... these are things you plan for when you're a) bald, and b) a 911 Cab owner who's lost a hat before.

I did not end up losing any, but then I kept it below 85 for the trip.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

New years day after a long day of driving the 100 to San Diego and then the fun run into the hills I almost lost my hat. That was when I knew I had to do something about the rear camber. I was getting on the freeway with a 997 in front of me and a ZO6 Vette behind me. I took an onramp I had taken many times before and the back end came around on me. It came way around. It was 997, vette, 997, vette, 997 as I fishtailed back and fourth. My hat went flying up and the good wife grabbed it. I would have hated to loose the hat. All seven lanes of traffic would have just killed the poor hat.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:37 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Mine was in a P-car fun-run group. The 997 driver behind me was trying to stop & get it for me, & I just waved him on, "let's GOOOOOO!!!!". Whipped out a spare hat from the back seat.

It was only a Wachusett Brewing Co. hat... meant I just had to buy more Wachusett Blueberry to get another one...

Old 06-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I lost a NITRO-2-GO hat at stingray island off Grand Kamen a couple years ago. One of the tour opporators on another boat jumped overboard and got it. When I got back to shore he gave it to me and I think I gave him $20.00 for it. When I got home I told the owner of NITRO (he is a customer of mine) what happened and that I got the hat back he was pissed off. He said I should have let the guy keep it. It would have been great advertising. Oh well.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:56 PM
basset1
8th Gear

Now that made me chuckle, Doug
Old 06-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Jaws911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, lets clear up the hat thing - Whats the matter w/ you guys? doesn't anyone here sail or ski? At camping/outdoor/ski stores you can often (but not always, so get more then one when you find it) buy small a cable thingy w/ a clip on @ end - one goes to the hat , one on the back of your collar -problem solved, WOT here we come...

regarding cabs, what could be more fun? for me, hearing the engine is a major + , on very hot days or shorter trips , I put the top up and all windows , including the rear, down... I get shade, breeze, and 6 flat sound.... I'm likely to close the rear window last...noise was never an issue for me...leaks? sure, a few, but not too bad -mostly , actually, when the car is sitting - and that may just be mine...

+1 on the manual top - I have put it up in a sudden rainstorm in the blink of an eye w/ the boot on (hint - put the top up, but do the rear window zip before you lock it down -quicker and easier that way, and you'll stay drier too.... ). Less weight, and no mechnicals to fail (apparently $$$ to fix, as well). And , for me , it has that 'ragtop' kind of elan (BTW, always put the boot on, and be careful about getting the support rib into the 2nd ,deeper fold)

Finally, I purchased mine ('86) from Cheech Fernandez at Rennwerke in Elmsford New York (914-592-4006), who maintains it - very knowledgeable about these cars, a recent visit to the shop revealed about 30+ 911's on site, (along with about 1/2 dozen really pristine pre- '65 356's/ 1600's etc. a Ferarrari 348 ,and (gasp) a Mercedes 300SL roadster -I've also seen the 1st 901 - Dr Porsche's /Seinfeld's car up there...). They will ususally give you a ride to the White Plains Metro-North station when you have to leave your car. I think a lot of his customers are from NYC....
Old 06-26-2008, 11:24 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

That is a two fisted roach clip.

I use a leash on my polarized glasses when we take out one of our Hobbie Cats. I run it thru the back of the hat and it has saved a lot of hats too.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:41 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
That is a two fisted roach clip.
Don't those get your car searched in CA?
Old 06-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Just driving my car in CA gets it searched!!!
Old 06-26-2008, 06:09 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

What I am saying is I do like the car but I like the coupe better. The ideas was to let drodg (the poster's question) my experiences and my opinion.
Loud exhaust (just enough) to me is a good thing most of the time, I even have a sport exhaust. I like it but some people don't. When I response to someone question(s), I always try to be a little detail and decriptive, rather then just "good" or "bad" which doesn't do any help to anyone.
Wind noise? Yeah, I don't like it.
You can't conceive why I don't like convertible down and windows all down? Then I guess you can't understand that each person has his own interests and own choice.
Fixing hair and date? Did I even mention any of these??? But even if I do, who doesn't like to look at a girl with nicer hair? :lol:
Yours doesn't leak? Good for you. Didn't you see many people on this board and PP.com have to deal with leak?
I didn't say I would take any modern car to replace my car but do you wish your convertible windows seal is as good as the 996's seal? I don't know about you but I do.

Originally Posted by LUCKe27
I'm a bit confused. When you say the engine and wind are loud, are you implying that's a bad thing? Anyway, I drive around all the time at highway speed with the windows down and personally can't conceive of why you wouldn't (unless your date just spent a lot of time fixing her hair, and if she cares about that kind of stuff, do you really want her around anyway? ... I digress). My top doesn't leak. It sounds to me like you don't like your Porsche and should sell it to someone that can appreciate it ... then you'll have the money for one of those "modern cars". To the original poster, cabs are a blast.

I haven't been around for a while (too much work). I hope you are all doing well.

Last edited by rnln; 06-26-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Driving a Cabriolet 3.2