Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Driving a Cabriolet 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 12:43 PM
drodg
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Driving a Cabriolet 3.2

I have an opportunity to buy a 88 Cabriolet with low miles. I have owned 3 911's and was actually looking for a coupe when this came along. How are they to drive. I am talking about body shakes, rattles etc? Top and body integrity. I have shied away from Targas but never really considered a convertible until this car came along. Thanks
Old 06-24-2008, 01:38 PM
kick7ca
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 89 cab with 65K miles. I too wanted a coupe and shared your concerns when shopping.
On paper I'm sure they're less rigid than a coupe, but I can garauntee your impression of the car will be that it is incredibly solid and rattle free. The fact it's a vert makes it more amazing. I have yet to replace my original shocks and that is my impression.
Top up at 80mph, there is surprisingly little wind noise and the side windows seal very well to the top. No annoying whistling.
The top is very well made, and insulated, so nice and toasty in the cold, nice and cool in the hot with the a/c on.
Top down you are in for a world of aural delights most men dare not dream of!
I can cruise comfortably at 65mph all windows down with a gentle rustling of air on the back of my neck. Around 85 it starts to get windy, so put the sides up a bit.
It really is the best of both worlds IMO.
More to your question though, I have noticed some cowl shake over really bad railway tracks, but other than that the bumps just go thump. One cannot find fault with the top, it is excellent in both design and function.
Above all the sounds of the motor and the outdoor experience is truly wonderful.

Last edited by kick7ca; 06-24-2008 at 01:45 PM. Reason: add something
Old 06-24-2008, 02:14 PM
rnln
Burning Brakes

I'll make it short. I was always into coupe but (same as yours situation now) this car came a long and I had to get it. I know the convertible feel a little more flex, all the car I driven, but I guess the natural of 911 is different. My 911 convertible is not that flex. In fact, it's is hard.
Engine noise is lound, wind noise is a lot. I can not have it top down with highway speed because too much wind (and there is no rear windows glass), especially I don't have wind deflector.
A very important thing is it's leaks. I talkt o many 911 convertible and targa owner, we all have leak to some degrees. They are not built as good as modern cars.
Good luck.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I totally agree with kick. After I got mine with I think 53,000 (may have been 57,000) I got Peter zimmermann's book and I swear he wrote the book for me. He loves my car as much as I do. Anyway, my car had zero done to it, original everything. EVERYTHING! I did get new tires and top, but it was not modified or cared for in the least. It is a perfect car. I could not be happier. Now at 71,000 miles and lots of tinkering I have a dream car. My only complaint.....my hat flies off at +/-105MPH.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:31 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

If I put the car on jack stands - and one of the jack stands is on a piece of carpet - then the diagonal jack stand will be off (as in not touching that part of the car) by the thickness of the carpet.

The 911 cabriolet is extremely rigid for a convertible - almost ZERO cowl shake - no rattling -

The only problem with mine is suffers from schizophrenia -

It can't decide if it wants to go to the beach

or the track

Old 06-24-2008, 03:32 PM
drodg
Racer

Thanks for everyones input. Any recommendations on a PPI in the NY area? Area code is 212.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:29 PM
kick7ca
Advanced

I should mention that the top, if powered, could be problematic. The joints should be tightened periodically with an allen key, and the top should be carefully observed when opening and closing to make sure both sides are moving exactly in unison. In otherwords, it moves up and down evenly. If the 2 motors aren't syncronized and it isn't moving up or down evenly, things can snap and get ugly. Hasn't happened to me but I've read about it and was cautioned by my (great) mechanic. Observe that the forward edge of the top is always level when it's in motion. Not to scare you. If it's OK then periodic tightening and good observation should keep it that way.
Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 PM
drodg
Racer

It is not a power top. I heard the power tops are problematic.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:07 PM
jwilson95
Racer

Good info. on the top Kick. I'll definitely watch that.

I am coming out of a 2002 Boxster S into the '89 cab.

My early findings are:

I'm very surprised at the stiffnes/rigidity of the 911. I assumed less rigidity than the newer 986, but I have to say it is pretty much equal. I have no squeaks rattles in the 911 and had a few in the 986. I think the suspect/cheaper interior bits in the 986 contributed here. Also, there is less wind on your head/body in the 911. I think the side windows and more upright windshield on the 911 help here. I also sit closer to the windshield in the 911.

The 911 is louder from engine noise not wind noise from my experience. I love it and never use the radio unless I am stopped at a light or in traffice for a long time.

DB-Haven't done the hat test at 105 yet, but will update...

Jeff
Old 06-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

It doesn't take nearly that speed to get the passenger to start loosing articles of clothing. She's got sunburns in places I've never seen before.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:51 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was also looking for a coupe when a too-good-to-pass-up 87 Cabriolet found me. Wow, am I ever happy it did. Nothing beats driving with the topdown.
The car is solid. I put a roll bar and front strut brace in mine just for the principle of it (and for DE school), but it doesn't need them. I've been on drives with other Porsches and I'm right in there with the coupes driving the twisties at speed.

A cabriolet Porsche is still far stiffer than most other make's coupes. Besides, I've read some studies that show that some flex may actually improve handling. Could be that rigidity is over-rated? (I'm sure to start a discussion with that comment)

I've driven 80mph with topdown, windows open -- love it. I'm suprised how quiet it is. But you will hear the engine more in a cab than in a coupe -- which I consider a benefit.

When you're in a coupe, you are passing through the world. When you're in a cabriolet, you're in the world. Nothing better than that.

I have never regretted the cabriolet. You won't either
Old 06-24-2008, 11:14 PM
drodg
Racer

thanks again
Old 06-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CAbs are great. I've had two. All of the above comments are true. The only problem with Cabs is that to drive with the top down, you must put the boot on. If you don't the wind will rip your headliner to shreds. My only complaint. Keeps you from lowering the top at a stop sign or light.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:42 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

^^^my manual top has no problem with the wind. I can fold it wrong if I'm not looking and pinch the top cloth in one of the bars, but if I do it right it never has a problem..
Old 06-25-2008, 02:28 PM
kick7ca
Advanced

Originally Posted by douglas bray
^^^my manual top has no problem with the wind. I can fold it wrong if I'm not looking and pinch the top cloth in one of the bars, but if I do it right it never has a problem..

Douglas the nicely patterned inner liner is going to rip if you don't cover it with the boot, and looking at your avatar it's only a matter of time! Is that 120 with the top down?

I unzip my window, lower, then install boot -which is left snapped on the inside, folded over in the back seat. Yes it's a PIA.

Quick Reply: Driving a Cabriolet 3.2