Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 09:59 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Daily Driver?

Does anyone in the North East use their 911 as a daily driver.

I've been contemplating getting rid of my daily beater Saab and using the money to install A/C and buy an extra set of wheels/snow tires. And maybe a stereo upgrade...satellite radio would be nice.

At any rate, I'm just trying to see if it's feasible.

My original idea was to sell both the Saab and the 911SC and buy myself a late 90's BMW M3. But I just can't seem to committ myself to that idea.

Keep in mind my daily commute consists of a 20 minute drive (50% highway/50% roads) to the train station. But I still need to be able to drive in the snow if need be.

Any thoughts/experience with this?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Streetfighter
Rennlist Member

Just my two cents on the M3, great car. I had a 1999 M3 coupe I still believe it is the best handling car I have ever driven. It ran well besides the brakes rotors fading out on me. It has a great gearbox and strong clutch. Accelarates like a rocket and has a bullet proof engine. I currently have a 964, and I enjoy it, but I do miss the M. In terms of snow they are both terrible to drive. Even with snow tires it is kind of skechy at best. I would keep your beater and enjoy the Porsche on the nice days and look at an M3 if you can afford the two.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:01 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With Bridgestone RE950's my 911 went well in snow the couple of times I tried it. With appropriate tires you should have no problem when enough ground clearance is available, but I would not want to expose my 911 to the salted roads.

My '97 M3 handles great but even with it's traction control (ASC) it's Toyos are very tail happy in the wet.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:17 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Like previously mentioned it's the salt that worries. I don't drive mine on salty days.

Other than that I use my 911 year round. I have had it less than a year and already have put 15K on it. I have used it in -20F and it started fine. Actually makes plenty of heat in the winter and quickly. The placement of windshield washer refill tube is pure genius. I used all season tires and it was okay at best. I never liked all season. All you have to do is drive with a light foot in the snow and know how to deal with over steer. However, it takes time to reach 'winter operating temperature', 20 min may or may not do it depending on how cold it gets where you live.

So if you are fine with the salt I would do it. When you think of it, it's a car like any other.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:51 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh; good point about the oversteer. I enjoy it, but if you don't then you won't enjoy driving your 911 on snow.

As you probably know, the 911's weight needs to be carefully 'set' early as you enter a turn near the traction limit. This includes transfering enough weight to the front (with deceleration or brakes) and, in snow, considering when to affect the 'Scandinavian flick' to put the rear wheels into a slide where you will want them to track.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:20 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Yes, you can definitely drive a 911 year round. When it comes to AC in a 911SC, however, be prepared to spend some $2-3k on replacing the existing system. You can get a stereo upgrade, but don't try to put in a reference system expecting great sound. These cars don't do well in sound competitions.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I drove my 911 in Europe as a daily driver,--rain, snow, sleet, black ice, and shine! The 911 is really best as a daily driver,--and many people never get to experience that, hiding them away in garages and barns for sunny weekends.

I would rinse mine off each Saturday morning after driving through salt roads over there,--it helped quite a bit, but the older cadmium plated fasteners will fail sooner when exposed to that stuff.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:16 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

It's very reassuring to hear all these daily driver stories.

Originally Posted by Streetfighter
Just my two cents on the M3, great car. I had a 1999 M3 coupe I still believe it is the best handling car I have ever driven. It ran well besides the brakes rotors fading out on me. It has a great gearbox and strong clutch. Accelarates like a rocket and has a bullet proof engine. I currently have a 964, and I enjoy it, but I do miss the M. In terms of snow they are both terrible to drive. Even with snow tires it is kind of skechy at best. I would keep your beater and enjoy the Porsche on the nice days and look at an M3 if you can afford the two.
I still plan on test driving the M3 to see what I think. I was thinking exactly what you had...a 99 M3 coupe. I may drive it an love it enough to sell the 911...but somehow I think not. I would love to have all three, but the truth is I do all my own maintenance/repair. And basically I am tired of having to maintain three cars. My wife's Audi and the 911 are enough work without throwing the Saab in the mix. Plus I just bought a house and have been mostly busy with renovations. So I really need to down size my vehicles.

Originally Posted by old man neri
Like previously mentioned it's the salt that worries. I don't drive mine on salty days.

So if you are fine with the salt I would do it. When you think of it, it's a car like any other.
What are the concerns with salt? Corrosion? I thought the galvanized bodies would be protected from that.

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Yes, you can definitely drive a 911 year round. When it comes to AC in a 911SC, however, be prepared to spend some $2-3k on replacing the existing system. You can get a stereo upgrade, but don't try to put in a reference system expecting great sound. These cars don't do well in sound competitions.
I was pricing it out yesterday. It looks like the cost would be about $ 2,000. That's why I have to sell the Saab. As far as the stereo, the one I have is not bad...but like I said, I wouldn't mind satellite radio for a daily driver.

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I drove my 911 in Europe as a daily driver,--rain, snow, sleet, black ice, and shine! The 911 is really best as a daily driver,--and many people never get to experience that, hiding them away in garages and barns for sunny weekends.

I would rinse mine off each Saturday morning after driving through salt roads over there,--it helped quite a bit, but the older cadmium plated fasteners will fail sooner when exposed to that stuff.
That's what I like to hear!
Old 06-18-2008, 08:41 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by arbeitm
What are the concerns with salt? Corrosion? I thought the galvanized bodies would be protected from that.

!
You would think galvanized bodies would be protected and they are....to a certain extent. I don't know how bad it is where you live but where I live they use a lot of salt, and I mean a lot. After a fresh snow fall you can expect to be using your highspeed wipers on the highway. It's this kind of weather I try to avoid.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:46 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Just because the body is galvanized does not mean it will not rust.

Check out all the rust repair working being done on www.impactbumpers.com

The galvanized sheet metal will last a long time but after a whie the zinc will sacrifice itself to the salt and then the metal exposed.

Especially in the kidny bowl area, underneath the ricker panel, front and rear wheel wells etc.

An SC

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/PD9113.2/BodyRepair

3.2 Carrera

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...highlight=rust

I'd rather have a beater for the snow/'wet weather and let someone hit the beater, collect some insurance money then ending up having to replace the 911 since it does not take much of a hit t to bend the tub and total the Porsche.

John
Old 06-18-2008, 10:36 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetfighter
Which of these E36 M3s are the best year? It's one of my options for having a commuter car. I'm also looking at an S2000 or a 964.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:45 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Which of these E36 M3s are the best year? It's one of my options for having a commuter car. I'm also looking at an S2000 or a 964.
It seems to be a big debate. It's basically the 95 or the 96 - 99. The 95 had a 3.0L engine which from what I understand is more tuneable. The rest of them have a 3.2L engine which you can't do as much with for some reason.

They both have the same HP though (240HP).

Of the three options you listed I would go for the 964. I love those cars. But I think you are looking at three different price ranges...or at least two. The 964's are close to double the price of the other two.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:32 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Chin & lowered makes it more difficult to plow through deeper snow. I got caught in snow on the way home from buying mine a few years ago, showed me right then & there I needed dedicated snows, just in case I needed to take the car in the winter. With the snows, it's not bad on cleared / semi-cleared roads. Without significant seat time in the white stuff, I'd be really hesitant to take the car in more than an inch or two, personally.

Heat-wise, a-ok.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:24 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Chin & lowered makes it more difficult to plow through deeper snow. I got caught in snow on the way home from buying mine a few years ago, showed me right then & there I needed dedicated snows, just in case I needed to take the car in the winter. With the snows, it's not bad on cleared / semi-cleared roads. Without significant seat time in the white stuff, I'd be really hesitant to take the car in more than an inch or two, personally.

Heat-wise, a-ok.
I wouldn't even consider braving the winter without snow tires. My current tires are summer tires.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:47 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

I can speak on both fronts here. Firsty, I agree with the many comments saying that 911s are meant to be daily drivers. All mine have been and the 3.2 is no problems to live with in sunny England all year round. I'd hate to own it and only drive it on occasion. Go for it.

As regards the E36 M3, they are great cars too but totally different from the 911. I used to have an M3 Evo Coupe as a daily driver some years ago and it was OK - not great though. It lacked character IMO. However, I now have an Evo saloon as my track car and I love it to bits - for some reason I think I've just found a better example. It pulls like a train and sounds stunning. The engine alone is worth the asking price - it's something special. Certainly in Euro spec with 321hp. When I had to sell my 964 turbo to get a better track car it hurt but with the 3.2 and the M3 I honestly think I've found the perfect combination. For now at least!

Quick Reply: 911 Daily Driver?