Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Maintenance cost differences btw 911sc and Carrera 3.2???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2002, 09:17 PM
RC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Maintenance cost differences btw 911sc and Carrera 3.2???

I am interested in purchasing a 911sc or 3.2 Carrera in the near future. I am trying to stay under $20,000 for the initial purchase and would like to use it as a daily driver. I have done some research into each model and the respective differences btw each.

Now the question that is on my mind. What are the maintenance costs of these wonderful cars? I need to know what I am getting myself into. I understand that there will be problems that may require an arm and a leg to remedy, but I am more interested in the routine costs. Thanks in advance.

I already posted this on the message boards, but I figured I might get more responses by posting it on both boards.
Old 01-06-2002, 03:13 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Maintenance on my 80SC was minimal. There were oil and filter changes every 3000 miles and a tune up every 15,000 which amounts to new plugs, adjust the valves, some change the transmission fluid at this point, and check the oil/grease levels in the CV joints.
The brake fluid should be changed out once a year, more often if you race the car. The brake pads need to be changed, as needed. Belts are changed at the 15,000 mile tune up,and of course the air filter.

Big bills in the future? You will probably have to freshen up the tranny every 100,000 miles, maybe ever 125,000, look at about $2,500 to do this, and add in a clutch for about $800 while the tranny is out...other than that, that is about it.

Also note I kept the car for about 6 years and Time Trialed the car for about 4 of those years....nothing ever broke at the track...the car was 100% reliable. I'd like to have a SC to compliment my 993 but wifey isn't buying that story, or that car for that matter.
Old 01-06-2002, 01:25 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I owned a '86 Carrera for 4 years and my brother has owned his '83 SC for 5 years now. The routine maintenance costs were very similar between the two cars. We both were putting about 7000 miles on the cars per year and each had / has over 100,000 miles on the odometer. We averaged about $100 per month for maintenance and repairs.

It's the same labor cost between the two models for valve adjustments, similar priced filters, same amount of oil, same tranny fluid flush, same brake fluid flush, same size tires, still 6 plugs, same belts, similar hoses, similar brakes, etc.

Hope this helps,
Jay
90 964
Old 01-07-2002, 03:03 PM
Hugh
Advanced

Also factor in the likelihood, if you get a 3.2L Carrera, that it will need a top-end rebuild due to worn valve guides. That's a $5K job. From what I've read and heard since I bought my car, the incidence of this condition in the 3.2L's somewhere between 80-120K is VERY common. It happened to me, and because I didn't do my homework in terms of having a PPI or even reading up on the model, it was an expense I was not prepared for. But I survived and don't regret my decision (Carrera vs. SC) at all. After the top-end rebuild and the mods I had done at the same time, my car is smooth, reliable and a real beast. The standard advice is the best.. buy the best Porsche you can afford. You'll inevitably drop more cash than you planned. But it's worth it!
Old 01-07-2002, 04:22 PM
Chris Martin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One factor to consider, while obvious, adds a little to the punch. Since the SC is going to be older things are going to be wearing out sooner, a generalization of course, but still true. For example, you might have to replace more suspension bushings due to age in the SC while a 6-8 year old Carrera might have OK bushings. Little things like scufs, flat seats or little creaks will generally also occur more in the older car.

With that said, that's on reason why an SC is cheaper than a Carrera. As with any older car things start to wear out. Trust me, when they wear out on an Porsche they can get expensice!

Best of luck

Chris

81 SC
Old 01-07-2002, 04:32 PM
RC
Intermediate

Cool

Thanks for the advice. Based on your responses, believe it or not, I am still undecided. The problem is, I prefer the Carrera b/c its newer, has a better tranny, a more powerful engine, and it has a better ac and heating syatem. The SC however has a "bullet proof" engine and I probably could pick up a good low mileage example for around $20,000. A Carrera will probably be at least $5K more and there is always the problem of valve wear. Am I right in these conclusions?? Luckily I have a few months before I will actually be prepared to make a purchase.
Old 01-07-2002, 08:43 PM
kvnz911
AutoX

I highly recommend that you drive both before making up your mind. i have an 88 and they have their stuff together. I have a buddy that has an sc and I drove it. I thought all were similar but the 88 is considerably more refined; better tranny, less sway, tighter, better ventilation, etc. I've put 30k miles on it and it runs the same as when I got it. You can drive the car as hard as you want and it begs for more. Unusual fixes include a oil cooler fan, clutch slave cylinder and a coil. The rest is usual maintenance.
I fully understand the mentality of wanting an sc under $20k but be patient and find a deal. times are bad and people are unloading their toys. IMHO wait for a 3.2.
Kevin
Old 01-08-2002, 05:43 PM
hanfrac
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This has been an interesting thread. I'm selling my 993. I was talking to my mechanic about the 84-89 Carreras. He was pretty forceful in his opinion that the 84-86 vintage is better. His main rationale was that the valve problems were really bad from 87-89. He said that every 40k miles, I'll be doing valve work. He also believes that the old 915 tranny is a perfectly good, lighter tranny. So his encouragement was to get an 84-86.
Old 01-08-2002, 05:59 PM
James Achard
Pro

RC,In regard to the valve issues, this was only the case on certain cars. My understanding is that one of the suppliers for the valve guides was using the incorrect material, thus resulting in rapidly wearing guides. I have an '87 Carrera with 60K on it and it hardly burns any oil. I drive the car quite hard and so did the previous owner( the car has probably seen 30+ track days). In regard to Trannys, I have a car with a 915 and one with a G50, I'll take the G50 any day of the week over the 915. The 915 was just rebuilt with updated dogs and synchros and it's still a bit cumbersome IMO compared to the G50. Try both cars!! Remember, the one you enjoy driving more is the one you should get.

James
Old 01-08-2002, 06:10 PM
kvnz911
AutoX

I can second James testimony with my 88. I've got 120k on it and go through the spec'd quart/800-1k miles.
I have an enjoyable Friday commute that includes 40 miles through the Napa wine country on 128 and hammer that pretty good every week. The guides are holding up fine. Just changed the plugs and they looked perfect.
Good luck with your decision.

Quick Reply: Maintenance cost differences btw 911sc and Carrera 3.2???