Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

3.2 pre-muffler question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 03:33 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.2 pre-muffler question

I need to get a new pre-muffler for my 86 3.2 as mine is riddled with rust and wants to fall off. Any suggestions as to what type to replace it with? I currently run the (extremely loud) dump-tip straight off this muffler but I've also got the original secondary muffler which I could put back on if necessary. What I'm looking for is what combination offers the best sound - I'm looking for a more metallic, flat-6 sound than I get at present. At the moment I find the dump-tip sounds too v8ish and the standard secondary muffler just too dull. However, I'm not in the market for a whole new system due to costs. Any suggestions much appreciated.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:26 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

I just had the the fabspeed by-pass and M&K installed about two weeks ago on my 84.
Definitely loader than stock, deep throated idle, not bad when just cruising but if you get on it that's another story.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:20 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

M&K is building new Pre-muffs and PP is taking pre-orders for $295 (MSP is $325). I have a Bursch Cat By Pass but want to tone down the resonate.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:20 AM
MIK911
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I know what you're talking about regarding: mechanical/grind vs. V8 rumble. That's exactly what I was after, and am very satisfied with my '86 911 exhaust set up.
1 word: Flowmaster.
I'm running stock cat into 1in/1out Flowmaster muffler ($89.), and the sound is just right--louder than stock, but more importantly, a nice "Grrrrrrrr" at idle, mechanical rip up the rpm range, culminating in a loud banshee shriek over 5K. Righteous, and what I feel a exotic car should sound like.

Similarly, my buddy's '86 911 has a cat bypass pipe into a M&K muffler, which in this combo, is similar to mine in loudness and character.

If you're set on a premuffler, you might want to check out M&K's brand new item here:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=414184
The thing about this and other premufflers that concerns me is the packing (insulation/steel wool)---I feel that this packing (used in many aftermarket mufflers, but not Flowmaster) is what contributes to the deep rumble/burbbly V8 sound which is what I'm not after.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:26 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Strange, Ben stated it would be fiber glass
Old 06-16-2008, 11:21 AM
ajmarton
Rennlist Member

I am local in Los Angeles and have been pondering the whole exhaust issue for my 89 911 cab. My first concern is passing smog with whatever set up I go with. The other issue is that I want to stay away from that American muscle car gurgle. My 928 has a nice silky growl and I a looking for just a little more aggressive exhaust note from the 911. I also figure (I am not sure about this) that I new exhaust system may be a good idea as the old system is 20 years old and may be adding some unnecessary back pressure (am I wrong on this assumption?). I am also wondering about a new cat for the same reason. But I also want to stay original in set-up - only one tail pipe. Any thoughts.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:47 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. MIK911, can you give any more info on the Flowmaster? I've been hunting but can't seem to find it?
Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by kusee pee
Thanks guys. MIK911, can you give any more info on the Flowmaster? I've been hunting but can't seem to find it?
It's just a generic muffler. The connections and fittings all have to be fabricated and welded either by your or a muffler shop. I do believe summit carries them.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:06 PM
MIK911
Pro

Originally Posted by DRACO A5OG
Strange, Ben stated it would be fiber glass
I didn't mean to imply that Ben's M&K premufflers were packed with steel wool. I don't know what he uses. My point was that: I believe the use of *any* type of packing, whether it be fiberglass, or steel wool, etc, would lower the tone of the exhaust.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:09 PM
MIK911
Pro

Originally Posted by kusee pee
check this out:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ght=flowmaster
Old 06-16-2008, 07:20 PM
ClubsportSP
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i got the scart one - http://www.scart-exhausts.com/ang/de....php?produit=7

not the cheapest, but quality is much better than dansk, for example.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:28 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Just updating on this. I've gone for the simple and quick solution of a double bypass. So my dump-tip now sits on the end of a straight-through pipe. Suprisingly it's not too loud for my tastes (my 965 with double bypass was noticeably louder) but it sounds totally gorgeous. And it was cheap! Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Old 06-22-2008, 04:39 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Oh dear. Problem number 1. Some of you may remember that when I had the double bypass on my 965 the neighours very kindly petitioned me to the local council who paid me a visit for antisocial behaviour. Well, last night when I tried to park in my street a neighbour stood in the road and refused to let me park. He then went crazy at me saying that my car was ruining his life and turning him into a nervous wreck. Now, I appreciate that his view is probably some way off centre (and at least two neighbours love my noisy cars and come out to watch!) but I could do without this kind of grief. The car is very noisy indeed, admittedly, but it only gets two 30second runs in and out of the street each day. I'm going to park away from my new friend for a bit and see if it calms down.

In the meantime, I think the car sounds stunning. Can't please everyone though can you?!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:06 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

I am sorry to hear about your woes. Right now all I have is a cat bypass but there is a muffler bypass sitting at home waiting to be hooked up. Hopefully I will like it as much as you like yours.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:57 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

is very noisy indeed, admittedly, but it only gets two 30second runs in and out of the street each day
30 seconds is a long time if you hate loud cars. Maybe, you keep your foot out of it while in your area, esp when you are arriving at home---- so they do not know that you are arriving and spool up to be agitated.

Quick Reply: 3.2 pre-muffler question