Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Help ! Have to change my fuel lines.

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 12:55 PM
zach13
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Well I went out and took a picture of the engine to get this project started.

The numbers on the picture are the things I assume I have to dismantle/reassemble to get to the fuel lines.

Is that an okay order for removal or would you guys do it in a different order?
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

1: it looks and acts like a screwdriver but it has a socket on the end. Kinda like a 1/4" drive. Its about $25 for a set of 10 tools that are color coded.

4: a swivel socket looks like a swivel extention for a socket but has the socket and the swivel built togeather. The allen swivel is a little different. The end of the allen is rounded off and in the case of the 8mm allen, the end looks more like a ball. It allows the tool to grap the bolt and still move around. If you can't get a direct top look at the nut you can still get into it at an angle. great tool.

TDC is Top Dead Center. so the cleaner doesn't get into the combustion chamber.

laquer(lacker) thinner for the tar in the intake if you find it. the brake cleaner may not be as strong.

I cut micro fiber towel into 6 pcs. for the intake. I figured tape would be quicker. OOPS. Micro fiber towels are great for just about everything in the shop.

One of the things I got my 14 year old son for Christmas was a new set of tools. I will admit to $6-700 but not much more. I think it paid for it's self first go round. He has everything I ever wanted...and more. Good luck and keep asking questions.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Air, we forgot air. If you have a compressor keep it handy for getting rid of dust.

I gotta go to work.

zach, you have before you the best 911 wrench on the planet. Do not dobt that he can help you with this. The 911 is in his soul and he is here for you. We call him Pete.

EDIT: I see no pictures?
Old 06-11-2008, 01:17 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts

Hey Zach,

What kind of books do you have? Do you have a Bentley or other work manual? It might help to clarify a lot of future questions you may have. It has pictures of the crank pulley marks and how to get to TDC if you do not know. It might be a worthy purchase for you. Just a thought.....

-matt
Old 06-11-2008, 01:19 PM
zach13
Intermediate

Thanks for all the quick replies Pete and Doug. Have noted it all down. Will have to go and get the swivel sockets.

Pete can you not see the engine pic I uploaded either? It displays fine on my screen.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:21 PM
zach13
Intermediate

Hi matt,

I already have "101 Projects", and just ordered "How to rebuild & modify your 911 engine", but it hasn't arrived yet. Should be here in a couple of days.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Tools... these are some of the options available to you... allen socket, wiggle socket extension vs regular extension, wiggle wobble (flex) socket. All tools shown are SnapOn.

(I won't be available until later today - have to spend quality time at the airport picking someone up...)

I see the engine picture, and yes, those items (in any order that removal works best for you) can be removed. Take pictures of clamp angles, brackets, basically everything - the memory will play tricks. Notes can also help (was the flat washer under, or on top of, the bracket?, etc.).
Attached Images    
Old 06-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

the big question is do you get an accurate torque reading when using a swivel tool?

I see the picture now. No cruise is a plus. Why the horizontal fuel filter? coupe. What year is the car?

EDIT: '84 not too differant than my '88. very cool. I took a couple pictures and my computer didn't like them. oh well.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:49 PM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm a cheap bastard also.
I also know which hoses pop first at 100 psi
And aeroquip makes better hose than anyone. To think the German hose is superior is ignorance.

I'm done now , sorry
Old 06-11-2008, 08:16 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J. Brinkley
To think the German hose is superior is ignorance.
Yeah, I've heard the same thing said about people who don't use airbox pop-off valves.

The guy at Joe's hose shop didn't win Le Mans, the Daytona 24-Hour, build engines under the Tag name for a winning F1 team, create the 911R, RS, RSR...stop anywhere that you want to...but Porsche has. I think that their engineers can stand toe to toe with just about anybody.

Oh, by the way, I never said that the ****ing hose was superior, I said that the MANUFACTURING process of the part is.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 06-11-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Guys, let's not loose sight of why we are here. I actually went out today and got some new tools. I didn't have a swivelable, 4" long, 8mm allen (hex head) socket. Now I do...or I soon will. In one hand I have a swivel 8mm hex key, and in the other I have an 8mm deep socket. by sundown tomorrow the two will be one. Did I need it? NO! Did I want it? So bad!
Old 06-12-2008, 05:39 AM
zach13
Intermediate

Doug: The car is a '76 Targa, but the engine is a reconditioned '84 Targa engine. The engine was upgraded quite a few years ago before I bought it.

Pete: Thanks for the photos of the tools, I see now exactly what you meant. I didn't know these tools by another name after all , was totally unaware they existed. Will go out and get some.

Guys I didn't mean to unleash a "hose war". In any case based on what Doug and Pete have said I have decided to go with the OEM hoses from PP.

Just out of interested Pete what would you expect the lifetime of these hoses to be under normal conditons. Would give me an idea when the hoses in the car were replaced last.

Have a good day Pete. Trust you are driving a 911 to the airport,
Old 06-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Now I understand the fuel filter. BUT, is the OE fuel line for the 3.2 the line that is on there now? was an adapter or extention or some other fitting used? I am just asking....'cause the filter is sitting in a differant direction. This could cause problems.

EDIT: Houston, we have a problem. I can't tell now after looking at the picture what line is fuel and what line is other. We may have to compromise and come up with a hybrid. can you say electric SUV? At this point trying to preserve originallity is out, but safety is still an issue. Zach please take a good long look at the line on the car and the diagram provided.

EDIT2: If the fuel line has the factory bend attatched to the "OUT" side of the fuel filter then you are good to go.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 06-12-2008 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spilling
Old 06-12-2008, 08:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,118 Likes on 800 Posts

Just as interesting point of reference Pete pointed out .. The plastic fuel lines Pete talked about on my car are 30 years old now .. I could n't replace them if I tried . They are two damned tough to get off.. and will not let go of the connections, that says it al..
Old 06-12-2008, 08:40 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zach13
Doug:(1) Just out of interested Pete what would you expect the lifetime of these hoses to be under normal conditons. Would give me an idea when the hoses in the car were replaced last.

(2) Trust you are driving a 911 to the airport,
1. Typically I think that 80K miles is pretty close to the average, just about the point when those intake manifold gaskets need help! I certainly would start evaluating the stretch factor at about that time. It's interesting, and I've seen this with many, many parts, but the replacement line (part) may outlast the original by a considerable amount of time. One of the truly beautiful things about Porsche is that they never seem to rest, and quietly, without fanfare, make material and design improvements to parts that an owner might never realize that he will benefit from. When you're past your initial trepidation, and actually start removing parts, I think that you'll find this job both interesting and fun.

2. Now that would have been neat (4-hour round trip), but it's warmed up here enough (100 degrees + F) that we would have been gasping for breath about halfway back - a last minute decision to use the F 150 (and its A/C) was made!

Quick Reply: Help ! Have to change my fuel lines.