Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Lets talk brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:02 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Lets talk brakes

Okay, so I searched and found numerous threads, I didn't seem to get the answer I was looking for. I have a '88 bone stock 911 US-spec targa. The only thing that has been modified is the nut behind the wheel.

1) My brake pad sensors are cut. I am thinking about getting new ones however there appears to be two different kinds. One is a 'notch style' and one is a 'glue on style'. Which one is right for me?

2) Pads pads and pads, firstly they seem to have the letters 's', 'm', or 'a' in front of them. Again, which is right for me? Secondly, and more importantly which pads are meant for me. From reading a bunch of threads I think I just need a simple pad, I just drive the car on the street so the pads probably never really get warm but there is also the 'once in a blue moon' panic stop in the middle of the night to avoid a giant moose. Also I think I would want something that is more gentle on the rotors at the expense of a little more brake dust but the pads would still have to last a decent amount of time. Understanding me? Which pads are right for me?

3) Well, I might as well ask this now. In case I have to rebuild/reseal the callipers at a later date what would they look like if I painted them white on a white car (other than getting dirty quickly) or is black the more appropriate colour?

Thank you all!
-matt
Old 06-08-2008, 12:42 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First off leave the calipers alone.

second the notched pads are correct with the clip in sensors.

Just call Performance Products and get the Mindex pads. I think that is what I got. You don't need race pads or anything fansy like Hawks or some of the other high dollor pads. get lots of brake cleaner and please leave the calipers that funky goldish color they are.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:51 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Don't worry Doug, I am planning on leaving the calipers alone for as long as I can. I just thought I would ask ahead of time in case in a year it comes time to do it I won't have to post a new thread. Ya, I have changed the pads before and it was easy. Hopefully the spring/hardware is still intact. I also hope performance products ships up here......we can't all live next door to them.

And which still pads do I need? M, A, S?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:55 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

And which still pads do I need? M, A, S?

I can't do everything for you. You have to do some of the work....
Old 06-08-2008, 01:03 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

https://rennlist.com/forums/members/32583-yyc930.html

call this guy.....
Old 06-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car came with these spares. Don't have a clue if they are M, S or A so I'll watch this thread.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:16 AM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

Mintex -- with a "t"

Stee W. has posted favorable on these
Old 06-08-2008, 01:20 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by douglas bray
I can't do everything for you. You have to do some of the work....
Well then what good are you? Other than posting large picture of various marine life in hilarious positions.

Thanks Doug!
Old 06-08-2008, 01:23 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by randywebb
Mintex -- with a "t"

Stee W. has posted favorable on these
Thanks Randy. Judging from other posts you seem to know your brakes so I will go with your's and Doug's recommendations.

-matt
Old 06-08-2008, 02:57 PM
r911
Anti-Cupholder League

Received 117 Likes on 100 Posts

I've never tested different pads side by side. I had Pagid Oranges and they were ok, but required some extra initial pressure (lack of "bite"). They are a good combo pad, but not the latest technology (according to Bill V.).

Mainly, I am just passing on what experts have said (I take notes, just like in class). I'm no expert on brakes.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:55 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Matt,

My new pads, sensors, pressure bleeder, and steel brake lines are on their way from Pelican. Here's what I found out:

The notch style vs. glue-in sensor will depend on which pads you REPLACE your current ones with. You may have the original notch type pads but if you buy replacement pads made for glue ins, you need to get glue in sensors too.

Originally Posted by old man neri
2) Pads pads and pads, firstly they seem to have the letters 's', 'm', or 'a' in front of them. Again, which is right for me?
My 87 required the "a" type. And on the Pelican site, it seems "a" is correct for your 88 too. But don't quote me on that

Secondly, and more importantly which pads are meant for me. From reading a bunch of threads I think I just need a simple pad, I just drive the car on the street so the pads probably never really get warm
I "upgraded" to a more aggressive type pad on my BMW. I HATED them. They were made to have reduced fade when hot. Problem was, the cold braking power suffered. They just didn't grip when cold.

I drive spiritedly and need good brakes, but I'm not autocrossing or tracking where fade is a real issue. I'd rather have the sure bite of OE type pads when cold.

Not sure if there's a pad out there that "does it all" ???

3) Well, I might as well ask this now. In case I have to rebuild/reseal the callipers at a later date what would they look like if I painted them white on a white car (other than getting dirty quickly) or is black the more appropriate colour?
The appropriate color is whatever you like, in my opinion. White would be white for about a minute though. Painting calipers is easy -- I've done it on a couple of cars. You can do it without removing them. I masked off everything with newspaper and tape and bought engine paint in a spray can. Worked great. They looked absolutely as good as the expensive brush on stuff you buy. All you need is paint made to withstand the heat -- so engine paint works well.

I don't plan to paint my 911 calipers because the Fuchs wheels block the view so much --- wouldn't be worth it to me.

I'm finishing my brake job in a few days. I'll have cheap OE style pads on when I'm done. I'll let you know what I think. Of course, getting new fluid and lines is hopefully gonna make me think the new pads are awesome

Last edited by 911vet; 06-08-2008 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:11 PM
old man neri
Drifting

OMG!! Shannon, is that you? Are you back? This is epic awesomeness!!!!! Welcome back my dear! You should check out my latest pics, adventures, and vids.

Thanks for the advice. It cleared up some more items. I have changed the pads before but i just through whatever it was I could find when I bought the car to pass the safety.

-matt
Old 06-08-2008, 10:41 PM
911vet
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG!! Shannon, is that you? Are you back? This is epic awesomeness!!!!! Welcome back my dear! You should check out my latest pics, adventures, and vids.

-matt
Hello Matt,

Thank you for the very warm "welcome back." I missed you guys too much to stay away any longer. Sure is nice to be home.

I have a lot of catching up to do and I will check out your many adventures and vids. Hope to add some of my own too. I've been in the garage again Causing all sorts of havoc. New Bilsteins, strut brace, brakes.... I'm out of control.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:54 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Hey, Shannon! Great to hear from you

Matt, what about painting the calipers red to match the interior?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:01 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978
Hey, Shannon! Great to hear from you

Matt, what about painting the calipers red to match the interior?
I honestly thought about then but then I realized that everyone, including stock civics, paint their calipers red. Know what I mean?

In any case, I don't plan on touching them until I have to. In my current location I just want to change the pads, extent the car's life, and then get back home where I can do some real work.

-matt

Quick Reply: Lets talk brakes