Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Brakes DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 02:56 PM
CubSmurf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes DONE!

Thanks to all who offered advice, etc. It was a VERY simple job! Took a little bit to get the pads out, and to recompress the cylinder, but it was very straight forward! Makes you feel good, doing work on your own car! Plus, the money you save is worth it in the end!! Though, I almost made a HUGE mistake. I tightened the lugs while in the air, and forgot to tighten them when I put the car back on the ground. Drove around the block, and remembered!!! Pulled over right there and tightened them!! Ugh...to feel so accomplished...to feeling like a total a-hole. Oh, and KUDOS to those who told me to buy new sensors. Pulled off drivers side, looked at sensor....sensor cut off, and taped out of the way!!!! UGH. Passenger side was ok...but dang! So, THANKS!!!

Matt

Last edited by CubSmurf; 06-07-2008 at 02:57 PM. Reason: spellling error
Old 06-07-2008, 03:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Great job.. that is why post it notes were invented .. to stick on the steering wheel .. LUG NUTS .. NO OIL ,.. and others ....

great job man ..
Old 06-07-2008, 03:33 PM
Rice
Instructor

Great job! When you get a chance summarize how you did the job or any tips to newbies.

Thanks, Rice
Old 06-07-2008, 03:40 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CubSmurf
Though, I almost made a HUGE mistake. I tightened the lugs while in the air, and forgot to tighten them when I put the car back on the ground. Drove around the block, and remembered!!! Pulled over right there and tightened them!! Ugh...to feel so accomplished...to feeling like a total a-hole.

Matt
Reminds me of this poor guy.

Good job on the brakes!
-matt
Old 06-07-2008, 03:45 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

How did o know you were gonna play that one mAtt .. I love showing this to Omar ...hahahhaha
Old 06-07-2008, 03:50 PM
CubSmurf
Intermediate

First advice, BE PATIENT! It looks like the brakes on my car hadn't been touched in YEARS! Open brake fluid resevoir. You tap out the two retaining pins, take out the spring loaded metal retainer (kinda t-shaped) then work the pads out. They pull straight out, but like I said, mine hadn't be touched in a while. STUCK in there. Needed a wrench, hammer, brute force to get them out!! I didn't have the special PORSCHE tool, so that MIGHT have made it easier, not sure. Pushing the pistons back was the hardest part. I used a strong set of pliers, and used them like a fulcrum to push the piston back a little. Then, used the old brake pads as a wedge...(put it in sideways), use the pliers as fulcrum again. and Bingo! Put new pads in, put t-shaped metal piece on, line up holes, put in retaining pins. Putting retaining pins back in was a pain. No room to swing the hammer to wedge them back in. Put wheel back on, tighten lugs...put on ground...RETIGHTEN LUGS. Close brake fluid resevoir, pump brake pedal. Give it a try! I could feel a difference IMMEDiATELY. My pads were scary thin!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2008, 07:13 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
Great job.. that is why post it notes were invented .. to stick on the steering wheel .. LUG NUTS .. NO OIL ,.. and others ....

great job man ..
+1 on Ice's comments about post it notes...can save your butt sometimes.....

Best,
Old 06-08-2008, 05:03 PM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

Outstanding, what a feeling eh?

Quick Reply: Brakes DONE!