Test Driving a 930 Tomorrow...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 04:35 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Driving a 930 Tomorrow...

Hi folks,

Going to check out a red 86 930 tomorrow, ~50K miles, mostly stock except a K27 and SSI exhaust. The car is local to northern 495 area in MA, I don't have any other info on it. Being sold by Auto Sport Engineering in Stow MA. Looking forward to it, never driven a 930. I'm 38 so this was prime teenager dream car stuff.

Anything obvious to look for? I'll do a PPI if it gets real serious of course.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

what ever happened with the 993 title?

The 930? Count to two, hold on to your neck!
Old 06-02-2008, 05:07 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Yup I'm still thinking about building out a 993 with RS bits. I'm checking out a 96 C4S tomorrow as well for grins and giggles, although I'm not so sure about AWD.

So is there really 2 seconds of lag in a 930 or is it the K27?
Old 06-02-2008, 05:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,149 Likes on 823 Posts

just make sure the wheels are staright when you punch it ..
Old 06-02-2008, 05:42 PM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Sharp car, Todd. I'm jealous.

Wish they had more pictures, including interior.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

I'll be sure to report back tomorrow about the condition of the car assuming I get to see it. Its not at the dealer at the moment, they are trying to get it from the owner tonight who is local. Hopefully its there waiting for me in the morning.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:44 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 132 Posts

Say HI to Jerry Pelegrino.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:10 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

So I just got back from my test drives. Took me all day driving from Stow MA to Warwick RI dealing with traffic etc. Exhausting!

Anyway, about the 930:
It had a Ruf front valence and technology 18"s with Conti sport contact 2's, momo steering wheel, SSI custom Exhaust without cat, dual outlet. K27. Exterior was much better than expected, had some paint work done but well done. In pictures Technology wheels always looked wrong to me because they are so modern but in person they looked fantastic. Interior, unfortunately, was rough to say the least. I have to question the 50K miles given the interior. Maybe beige doesnt wear well in a 930? The dash was very warped, the beige leather worn badly and all stitching seams turned brown. Body looked like under 50K, interior way over 100K. The shop reported some electrical issues related to the aftermarket radio. Sunroof wasnt working. Ventilation system actually was blowing some sand at me. Transmission was an issue. The 4spd felt pretty good but the synch was grinding between 1 & 2 if you tried to shift normally. Give it a bit of a delay and it would go in fine. I could live with it short run but it needs a rebuild. Regardless of these problems, the car had lots of positives besides exterior appearance. The SSI exhaust sounds pretty mean. So much burble I kept thinking about my old 69 corvette and shifting around 3.5K until Mark finally said "you know the turbo doesnt even kick in until 3k?" So I dropped it to 2nd and punched it. WOW! Not the light switch I was expecting but so much progressive torque from 3.5K to 5.5K when I shifted. I did that twice until Mark said "you know the redline is almost 7K? You are leaving so much power band behind..." I tried again and shifted early again. Bottom line - too freaking SCARY! I don't know the car well enough to go that fast! This car is SAVAGE. My overall thought - love the manual stearing. Love the dual character of the car where you can drive all day without engaging the boost and then punch it for serious power. I don't mind the dated interior, but it needs to be gutted. They are asking 35K. At a minimum, the car needs a tranny rebuild and electrical work. Assuming a PPI doesnt show anything else nasty its worth about 28K and needs 12K worth of tranny, electric and cosmetic interior to reach its true value around ~40K. Just my opinion. Nice aftermarket goodies, but the money would have been better spent on what the car "needed" versus the nice to haves.

About the 993:
Here comes some Heresy.... I really didnt like it, and not because of the color. I thought I was going to love it, my first 993 drive! Nice Iris Blue C4S on grey, 6spd. Car runs real nice, decent torque, handles great. Looks like it was running an aftermarket exhaust (probably Fabspeed) and had a euro drop otherwise stock. Interior in GREAT condition, AC blows cold. Original radio. Technically the car was great, but without the over the top torque, manual steering and whale tail looks it just seemed lacking. I didnt like the view from the windshield, I missed the light pods. I didnt like the long throws of the 6speed nor was I impressed with the variable engine noise (VarioRam) under throttle because it lacked in POWER to go with that variable sound. Moral of the story for me: technically, the car is better than the 930, but better engineering does not equal a better car. They wanted 50K for it.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

thank you Todd, we really don't spend much time at 7,000 RPM's but we do spend alot of time looking at the interior....So no matter how fast the ride, you gotta be in love with what is on the inside. Or is that what they say about girls?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:01 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like the 930 is fun but needs ~ $10k spent on it. dont the the emotions & adrenalin make the purchase for you...dont rush into a purchase as frustrating and tempting as it may me

interesting thread here about 903 values:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ferrerid=42314
Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 PM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

I don't think I'm going to buy that 930 unless its still around after I've seen lots of examples and I can get it for a significantly lower price. Its in an odd spot where it has some nice performance Mods which I'm sure the owner would like to recoup but the interior condition and transmission is going to cause him issues.

I'm still scratching my head about the 993. I'm supposed to like it the most arent I? What is wrong with me? hmmmm.....
Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Great description and review of the ride. Where did I read that Danny Ongais had a 930, and was reputed to say of it "I won't even drive that car fast, except in a straight line."

You are joking about how you are supposed to feel about the 993, right? It seems that around these parts of the forum, at least those who speak up the most, speak up in favor of the sportier experience associated with the older cars. "Sporty feel", notwithstanding increasingly awesome performance, seems to have been "refined" right out of the newer cars.

At least, that's the impression I get. I'm just reflecting what I read. I don't know it for a fact, I'm too poor to drive a new car. (heheheh)

Brent
Old 06-04-2008, 06:56 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Each model (and model's sub-model / year groupings) is a different animal in its own right. It's natural to notice the differences between the two cars you drove - they ARE night & day (not better or worse necessarily, but different). Find what suits your tastes & wants in a Porsche. Would have been interesting to see your feelings of the 993 if you drove that before the 930.

I didn't find the 964 I first drove any more exciting than the '84 I ended up buying, it was just different. I wanted a simpler approach (manual steering, etc.), but wanted the DME vs. CIS. Having driven an '83 with a warmed over 3.6L 993 transplant, I think that's a VERY good way to get torque in a lighter tub, without the issues of going boosted.

The K27 is a non-stock turbo, right? That's probably why the car behaved better, it was better suited for the application perhaps?
Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 AM
ToddMcF2002
Advanced

Yup the K27 was aftermarket. The car had an SSI stainless header back exhaust without cats. I need to find a stock example to compare. The interior "fix" doesnt look too expensive but I'm suprised by the lack of parts available. Lots of dash "covers" but no dashes. This 930's dash was warped beyond belief. Seems like a typical problem for the 911/930? Not alot of aftermarket support other than a few leather shops doing what looks like quality work. This car needs more than leather - more like a whole new dash, bezel face, knee pads etc. Electrical harness "redo" while you are in there.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:15 AM
Bob S
Instructor

There are alot of really nice 930"s around... Don't settle for one that needs alot of work ($$$). Keep looking and you'll find one that you'll be happy with... There is NOTHING like a 930... I've had mine for quite awhile and it still puts a smile on my face...

Last edited by Bob S; 06-07-2008 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Test Driving a 930 Tomorrow...