Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

an IROC bumper for $60?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts
Default an IROC bumper for $60?

As some of you may remember, I was looking for a used IROC bumper. I found one and although it was in rough shape I decided $60 (plus $50 Greyhound shipping) was too good to pass up and that I'd give it a shot on repairing it. I've never done body work before but figured I had little to lose and might learn something in the process.

When I finally saw it in person it was much worse than I had anticipated. Big chunks of gel coat hanging off the oil cooler opening, the huge tow hook cutout that I needed to relocate, 2 big holes for bolts in the front, the crack below the fender, a big piece missing from the bottom edge, etc. I figured it wasn't salvageable and since I also got a rear bumper in better shape from the same person (also for a good price) that I'd just toss the front one and keep looking.

The before pics.
Attached Images     
Old 05-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

I called a friend to borrow a tool for removing the stock rear bumper and happened to ask him if he'd ever done any fiberglass work. He said, "yeah, whattya got?" I said I had this fiberglass bumper I was going to throw away and he said to bring it over and he'd see if it was salvageable. The rest, as they say, is history. He taught me how to do the fiberglass repair and bondo work (while doing a good bit of it himself) and here are the results. Now I just have to figure out how to paint it.

Benson if you're out there, thanks. Also thanks to Tony for handling the shipping.
Attached Images      

Last edited by Chris M.; 05-28-2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:11 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Stay tuned. Next up is the rear...
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2008, 01:01 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What a great find!

And the project is nicely done!

I'm jealous.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well done, it looks fantastic! Isn't it nice when you learn something new like that? I'm very jealous - and will be more so when you show the pics of the finished car. Good man!
Old 05-28-2008, 08:52 PM
nyne11
Rennlist Member

fantastic result..nice to have friends like that.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

I did the fiberglass, bondo, and priming on the rear. Not perfect but a nice improvement.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 PM
porsche930dude
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats Hott ! Paris Hot
Old 05-29-2008, 01:47 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brilliant!
Old 05-30-2008, 02:38 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Nice work Chris.

I always liked the IROC bumpers my 74 RS clone widebody had them. Too bad I didn't realize the ones on my car were factory originals when I sold the car.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Nice work Chris.

I always liked the IROC bumpers my 74 RS clone widebody had them. Too bad I didn't realize the ones on my car were factory originals when I sold the car.
Thanks. I like them too although I'm sure there are plenty here that prefer the impact bumper/accordion look.

I got the tow hooks located today and realized that the bumpers aren't going to line up very well with the fenders despite having been on a car for several years. All this for a simple oil cooler install!
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2008, 09:48 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 252 Posts

Looks great Chris! Good to see my old bumpers found a good home.

Tell me more about the issue with the fit on the fenders. On my tub the fit was very good but I had to get creative on the install as the normal mounting points did not line up. Once I figured out the attachment issues the look from the outside was excellent.

For example, in the rear I ignored the metal attachments that drop down from the car and attach to the bottom of the stock bumper and I only attached the top. I think there were one or two screws on each side that lined up with the factory points and for the rest I simply drilled some holes and used zip ties. It was invisible from the outside and proved to be very strong. 4 years and thousands of miles on the track and they never moved.

I am having flares put on my tub now and having new bumpers installed to match the new curves. A shop is doing it for me and they are reporting similar fitment issues despite new pieces all around. No two tubs are alike, thats why we love these cars.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,267 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Thanks. I like them too although I'm sure there are plenty here that prefer the impact bumper/accordion look.

I got the tow hooks located today and realized that the bumpers aren't going to line up very well with the fenders despite having been on a car for several years. All this for a simple oil cooler install!
I agree as jakermc said tubs can very of this vintage. I can't give you any advice as my car had the IROC front oil cooler setup with the entire front of the car removed and new plates welded in place to allow air to flow through the cooler instead of directly into the tub. New tabs were welded to support and mount the front bumper. I had an AIR replica bumper and I never installed it after a slight mishap and realized it was better to repair the original. Since I drove the car on the street I added the front rubber strip to prevent any future damage. I also had to add the smile piece to cover the damage that happened from the young lady who hit my car trying to get my attention.
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2008, 11:35 AM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Paris is hot?

Oh, I get it. Hot by day, but down right steamy at night. ;-)
Old 06-03-2008, 08:14 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakermc
Looks great Chris! Good to see my old bumpers found a good home.

Tell me more about the issue with the fit on the fenders. On my tub the fit was very good but I had to get creative on the install as the normal mounting points did not line up. Once I figured out the attachment issues the look from the outside was excellent.

For example, in the rear I ignored the metal attachments that drop down from the car and attach to the bottom of the stock bumper and I only attached the top. I think there were one or two screws on each side that lined up with the factory points and for the rest I simply drilled some holes and used zip ties. It was invisible from the outside and proved to be very strong. 4 years and thousands of miles on the track and they never moved.

I am having flares put on my tub now and having new bumpers installed to match the new curves. A shop is doing it for me and they are reporting similar fitment issues despite new pieces all around. No two tubs are alike, thats why we love these cars.
The rear is going to be easier than the front but still challenging. On the metal attachments you speak of the rearmost ones are lining up but the ones closest to the tire are about an inch off. So I extended the length of the tabs on the bumper with fiberglass, will drill holes in them, and hopefully they'll reach. Other than the holes for the 2 fender screws on each side I only see one other hole on the bumper which is under the center of the red "PORSCHE" reflector. That reflector is held on by 4 screws so I thought I might remove those, drill holes in the bumper to line up, and then reattach the screws through the bumper and reflector.

The front has been tough. The oil cooler unfortunately has to be very close to the tub in order for the 90 degree lower fitting to clear. I've tilted the upper part of the cooler forward, the lower part back, and that fitting is still hitting the bumper and keeping the holes underneath the headlights from lining up. Having proper airflow is supposedly very important and the cutaway section Anthony is talking about would be nice. Elephant Racing makes a pan you weld in after removing a section of the front trunk so I may end up with one of those at some point although I think cutting the tub is a no-no in stock classes. Also, I see where you or someone else cut away the brackets that were originally inside just left of the oil cooler opening so I glassed in some new ones and plan on attaching them to some brackets that will be bolted to the old bumper shock locations. The fenders don't line up either but steel flexes pretty easily and I think if I pull it out, clamp it in place, then install the screws it will work.

Time is running out though. I have very little chance to work on it this week or next and will be at the track the weekend of June 20. I may have to go up there with the primer still showing...we'll see...

Quick Reply: an IROC bumper for $60?