help me identify the year of my cars' anti roll bar

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:45 PM
nicklouse10
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me identify the year of my cars' anti roll bar

hello,

went to change out (replacing with poly) the bushes and the droplinks on the rear ARB on my 1980SC and found that the droplinks are different on either side.
I've been told that it might be that one of my banana arms has been replaced with a pre 78 arm.

I want to replace both the droplinks but need to know the year of the 'odd' one on the car.

can someone help me identify the year of the droplink in the photo please.
I can take a photo of the Arm tomorrow if need be, as I'll have the car up on a ramp.

thanks in advance

Nick
Old 05-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

NIck, with a car as nice as yours I hope you are looking at adjustable drop links. I didn't think you could replace the rubber in the old ones. the adjustable ones help eliminate preload on the bar. I replaced my mounts on the link below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=wevo+swaybar
Old 05-20-2008, 02:26 PM
nicklouse10
Instructor

Hi Douglas,

cheers for the compliment. I hadn't considered adjustable drop links. I'll look into doing that when I do the turbo tie rods and polybush the front of the car.

At the moment I'm just trying to get the car through its MoT test so just want to stick on some new droplinks. I dont think you can replace just the bushes either. I need to replace the whole droplink. I bought a pair for a 1980 car and then discovered that they were not a matching pair on the car.

all the best
Nick
Old 05-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey Nick,

Could it be that you have one standard droplink and the other one is adjustable? that would make sense as really preload can be adjusted with just one link.

The one you have circled....does it have threads on it? If so, that would be the adjustable one.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:13 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

from what you describe I'm guessing that the preload is caused buy the rotational torque of the engine, meaning only one adjustable link would be needed on the loaded side of the car?

Mine is definitely not adjustable. Its a standard droplink. I'd sawn through it when removing the ARB just because it was easier to get to, and I was replacing it anyway so it didn't matter. Do you know the year? or were they all the same for pre 78 cars?

cheers
Nick
Old 05-21-2008, 11:32 AM
nicklouse10
Instructor

here are some shots of the mountings for the droplinks. You can see they are different types, I'd really appreciate it if someone could identify the year of the one that has half a link hanging off it. thnaks
Nick

Old 05-24-2008, 01:18 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Looks like someone may have replaced one of your rear arms.

The right arm has the same type of mount as my 85 Carrera and the link bolts on.

The left arm has the same type as my 72 911S had and the link is a press on ball and socket style. I think I had 74 aloy arms on another 72 I had and it so had the ball and socket style arm.

I do not know if you can remove the ball mount and use a later bolt up style.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:18 AM
911pcars
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Looks like you have pre and post '77 alloy control arms. The only difference is the sway bar drop link connection of which you've already noticed.

If adjustable drop links are in your immediate plans, I'd just go ahead and purchase a new rear sway bar with adjustable links. Most aftermarket sway bars attach the drop link to the spring plate instead of the control arm anyway.

Sherwood

Quick Reply: help me identify the year of my cars' anti roll bar