Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Where did my cruise control module go? Pic Included

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where did my cruise control module go? Pic Included

So I looked in my Carrera workshop manual, and where it says the cruise control should be (I think) I see nothing. Maybe you fellas could point out where the heck it is. I have circled in red where I THINK it was supposed to be. Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2008, 10:32 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oshin, I think it is up under the dash right next to the ash tray. That's where mine is on my 88 Carrera.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 PM
rgrimm
Instructor

+1

My '84 is where you have it circled, but a friend's '87 had it up under the dash. Don't know when exactly it was moved, and it is the same box, but look inside...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:32 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Oshin, what are you trying to do? The module isn't the only thing that could have caused you to loose cruise. When I had no brake lights I had no cruise.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doug, the brake lights are not connected to the cruise control. Off to the right off the accelerator pedal, underneath the carpet and just forward of the tunnel, there is a switch that is activated by a flange on the brake pedal. If that switch is out of adjustment, the cruise won't work. When I rebuilt my pedal cluster, I inadvertently moved mine a little when I horsed the assembly out of the cavity and the CC wouldn't work when I reassembled it. After going over the sequence of events, I realized I had bent that piece of metal that it is mounted to just a little and it wasn't making the proper contact. The only adjustment I remember is that I used a screwdriver to very gently realign the switch. I had to do it a couple of times to get it where I wanted it by driving the car and adjusting, etc. Check yours to see if it is making contact & releasing as you push down on the brake pedal. You will have to remove the drivers side floorboard to accomplish the adjustment properly. But, you can see the movement and set it where you want it.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:59 PM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I dont think it is either of the switches. Remember when I told you guys that I heard "clicks" which I thought were electrical related? Well I was on a drive and when I heard a click I thought of activating the cruise, and to my surprise my cruise was working. Then after a few minutes it cut out again. (The cruise hadnt been working for months). So I am going to the sourse, time to break out the voltmeter and check connections...that will hopefully tell me what is wrong.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

I remember posting this a year ago and nobody corrected me. it did sound like a strange combo, but also sounded plausable. I'm gonna go put the car away and get out my Bentley. When my brake lights didn't work I had no cruise. I put in new switches on the Master and didn't touch the "cruise off" switch. So who knows what happened.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

Its not the brake lights doug trust me, I have had them replaced and it still didnt fix it. So I took off the control module and found some weird things...takes 5 seconds maybe someone can double check their module for me to see if it looks the same as mine. If someone can do this, please look for 3 things 1. Screw with ground wire, is it cut? 2. Funky smell from wires that connect to module? Burning smell? 3. Arrow that points to empty hole...is the one you have empty too?
Attached Images    
Old 05-16-2008, 01:33 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Oshin, open to page 970-61. the unit (cruise control regulator) only has 9 used terminals. That terminal block is just a stock off the shelf 12 pin unit that works fine for the 9 used. It looks like the same plug set used between the shock towers in the engine bay and by the fuse panel next to the coil.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

......and just for the record....on the same page you can clearly see that the brakes and the cruise are connected. they share a black/yellow wire that goes directly from the brake switch to the cruise control unit.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:42 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

ok how bout the cut ground and the funky smell?
Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

did the car ever have an alarm, sound system, or radar? If you can show me one other blue terminal cover like the one you have pictured then we will look at it again. I don't think blue is a bosch color. I think the unit is fried. swap it out. call www.911pcar.com and see if they have used ones they have tested. or perhaps lorenfb
Old 05-16-2008, 01:44 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

the car did have an alarm at some point
Old 05-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

sorry, I added to my above post......there you go then with the alarm. That was just a quickly disconected wire. I think it's time to open the wallet again.

Edit: goodnight
Old 05-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Oshin11
Burning Brakes

I am not sure if the unit is fried or if it is the connector that goes into the unit since the connector smells burned. I am testing with a voltmeter as we speak.

Quick Reply: Where did my cruise control module go? Pic Included