Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Weird Sound and Engine Miss?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 05:41 PM
jd483
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Sound and Engine Miss?

Last year my stock 79 SC developed a miss or misfire. At the same time a strange sound began to eminate from what I thought was the dashboard. I recently traced the sound to the smugglers well. Thinking it was a relay or some such in the AC blower. I disconnected all of the components and the sound remained. This sound, like a geiger counter or agitated liquid, is coming from the fuel tank or pump. I replaced the pump about six months or so ago due to its random failures while on rides. I no longer have the breakdowns but the strange sound remains and the miss does too. I get a puh...pa puh from the tailpipe and congested traffic driving is treacherous due to the jerkness at lower driving rpms.

I have also replaced the fuel accumulator which was going bad too as well as the plugs, four not so bad injectors, wires (Beru), cap and rotor.

Any ideas or similar experiences? Looking forward to enjoying my car again.

Justin
Old 05-18-2008, 12:09 AM
jd483
Intermediate

Was that too weird? I know that the plastic material on the original filler cap was deteriorating so I replaced it. Is it possible that gasket material that may've fallen in is hung up on a screen in the tank? Longshot? I dunno.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by jd483
Last year my stock 79 SC developed a miss or misfire. At the same time a strange sound began to eminate from what I thought was the dashboard. I recently traced the sound to the smugglers well. Thinking it was a relay or some such in the AC blower. I disconnected all of the components and the sound remained. This sound, like a geiger counter or agitated liquid, is coming from the fuel tank or pump. I replaced the pump about six months or so ago due to its random failures while on rides. I no longer have the breakdowns but the strange sound remains and the miss does too. I get a puh...pa puh from the tailpipe and congested traffic driving is treacherous due to the jerkness at lower driving rpms.

I have also replaced the fuel accumulator which was going bad too as well as the plugs, four not so bad injectors, wires (Beru), cap and rotor.

Any ideas or similar experiences? Looking forward to enjoying my car again.

Justin
That is a somewhat tough description to interpret. "like a geiger counter or agitated liquid" sound like to distincly different sounds to me.

Did the miss and the sound start at exactly the same time? Is it only at no load or low RPM's? What happens when you get on it-does it pull strong and rev to redline?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Hester
Instructor

Hey Ed, I dig that Avatar. Fernando's co-pilot had the same problem trying to get pictures of Hester when we were on that road. I guess I tend to treat that road as a challenge more than a route.

Old 05-18-2008, 12:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

It's hard to drive at speed with one hand on the camera and one eye (or more) on the viewfinder. I tried it again yesterday am, same results.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:42 PM
jd483
Intermediate

I know, it's a strange noise. A random rhythm of a gurgling clicking sound only when the car is running. Doesn't do it with the ignition on only. Still pulls strong on up to the redline but lower end driveability is compromised by the miss or misfire. Could be two distinct problems but they both occurred at or about the same time.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:18 PM
jd483
Intermediate

Okay, pulled the fuel level float out. Tank looks fairly clean considering its age. I kinda poked around at the screen inside the bagel looking thing. Could've possibly poked a hole in the screen but made no change to the condition. I'm pointing my finger at the fuel pump check valve at this point. It was a coin toss as to replace it or not when I replaced the fuel pump, and I skipped it.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:51 PM
jd483
Intermediate

Crap, I need more sleep. Looks like my '79 doesn't have a check valve according to Pelicans listings. Maybe that's why I didn't change it. However, I'm gonna change the screen on the pickup and see what happens. I always wondered about that big hex head.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:08 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Does it stumble just under load or when stationary too? My shop was able to diagnose a problem by hooking up a CO meter to see whether my running issue was due to running rich or lean, and found that it was due to lean running, and that my air meter plate was out of adjustment. Another thing to try is hooking up a timing light to see if there is a miss that is due to ignition vs. fuel. I also had a CD box go bad recently, might try that, with a known good box.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jd483
I'm gonna change the screen on the pickup and see what happens. I always wondered about that big hex head.
IMHO, thats a VERY good idea.

You didn't say how many miles are on your car so I have no idea how old your fuel pump is, but those don't last forever.

I think this is the moment to mention that these pumps are cooled by the fuel that runs through them and so if these cars ever get VERY low on gas or run out, the fuel pumps are usually damaged enough to shorten their lifespan.
Old 05-23-2008, 05:28 PM
jd483
Intermediate

It's got 161K + miles, the odometer broke some time ago. However, I very recently replaced the fuel pump with a Bosch item. I tend to keep the fuel level above half so I should be good there. Just waiting on the part now, I'll let you all know if it solves the problem. Man, I hope it does!
Old 05-31-2008, 04:48 PM
jd483
Intermediate

Oh hell, I have just replaced the pick up screen and the percolating sound persists. It had a small amount of fuzzy, cruddy stuff but just in one small area. Ugh, I dunno what to do now!
Old 05-31-2008, 05:43 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Silly question, does the noise only occur when the car is at full operating temp?
Old 06-01-2008, 10:07 AM
jd483
Intermediate

It makes the noise at all times running. I'm wondering now if it could be a kinked or otherwise damaged fuel line in close proximity to the pump.

Quick Reply: Weird Sound and Engine Miss?