Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

T-minus 7 days until 2000km solo road trip.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 01:38 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts
Default T-minus 7 days until 2000km solo road trip.

Okay,

So I have to go from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada to Portage, Manitoba, Canada. It's about 2000km. I am planning on taking all my tools, some oil, bentley, and the other spare stuff. Oh, and of course the most important...the 3 'C's: Cash, Credit Cards, and Cell.

Now what else should I do to get ready for this journey. I am going to take my digi cam so that I can take pics and vids of the way up. I want to try to get a suction camera mount, or make one, so that I can take random vids from different view points. What else should I bring on this epic trip. What should I take pictures of? What kind of good luck charm should I bring? I am thinking 'fuzzy dice', it saved me in my last high speed roll.

I am going by myself so I am looking for ideas to keep me entertained. I need something to help me goof off. Also, suggestions on things to do to my car before I leave. I think it is time for a valve adjust because I am hearing a ticking after this winter. I don't want to change to the oil because it hasn't been that long. And my cat bypass pipe and muffler have finally arrived. I am so going to swap that before I leave, I need the noise to scare away the moose.

Since I have owned the car it has given me almost a year and 10K mi of trouble free life. The only thing I had happen to me was a stuck throttle which I blame entirely on doug.....and perhaps clive.

Cheers!
-matt

Oh, I almost forgot......pic for fun.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:42 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

my fault, totally.

Matt, that is still the sexiest car that ever lived.

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 05-09-2008 at 01:46 AM. Reason: toadally
Old 05-09-2008, 01:46 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by douglas bray
my fault
Someone has to take the blame......it would seem unfair to just blame the porsche.....that would be mean

Please tell me that avatar of yours (with the alligator) is not of your back yard....that would make me even more jealous, you know how I already feel about your palm trees.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

That was two years ago in Florida. I have an uncle in West Palm Beach. Or should I say on Lantana Island.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:51 AM
old man neri
Drifting

That was two years ago in Florida. I have an uncle in West Palm Beach. Or should I say on Lantana Island.

Cool! I got to go Guatemala last month for a while. Saw plenty of palm trees, banana trees, and crazy animals......including alligators. It was good!

Matt, that is still the sexiest car that ever lived.
The Porsche Gods thank you for your kind comment. Your car is very sexy and seductive as well. We should swap one day.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,758 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Well, 2000km, huh? I honestly don't think you need anything else, but say a spare map. I think you already have that. The air compressor and tools are there, but the AAA towing is always nice. What am I saying!? Ten thousand kilometers of trouble-free miles should speak for itself

The only thing I should mention is that the car really like it when you take her top off.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:35 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old man neri
I am going by myself so I am looking for ideas to keep me entertained. I need something to help me goof off.
Sounds like a lot of fun. If you have a gps look into geocaching, I find lots of cool historical, geological and scenic spots and old backroads while out looking for geocaches.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:49 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by bullit
Sounds like a lot of fun. If you have a gps look into geocaching, I find lots of cool historical, geological and scenic spots and old backroads while out looking for geocaches.
Very interesting suggestion. However, I don't have a GPS. I have always been a map and compass type of person myself. I don't want to lose my basic navigational skills just yet but nice suggestion. That and northern ontario doesn't have a lot to offer in terms of historic sites.....The world's tallest smoke stack is not something to be proud of.

But thanks again, I actually will look into getting a GPS.
-matt
Old 05-10-2008, 12:51 AM
Antony.
Instructor

Originally Posted by old man neri
Very interesting suggestion. However, I don't have a GPS. I have always been a map and compass type of person myself. I don't want to lose my basic navigational skills just yet but nice suggestion. That and northern ontario doesn't have a lot to offer in terms of historic sites.....The world's tallest smoke stack is not something to be proud of.

But thanks again, I actually will look into getting a GPS.
-matt
Yeah but that might be a benchmark you could log ;-) You can do it sans gps using google earth but that can be a pain in the butt in the field. You could scan around along your route and see if there are interesting spots to visit. Anyhoo.. I'm envious... I've yet to take the 911 out for a huge road trip and this summer it'll be the truck with the pop-up behind it for me.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:03 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Ya gotta love road trips in P-cars. Although, I now would think twice about taking mine for that long a ride. My spine would be pulverized.

I drove my '91 928 1100 miles in one day, that's almost as far as your jaunt. That was one fun day.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:07 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

we have done several 500 mile weekends, but nothing too crazy. when we were 21 and going to school in Idaho we would drive 14 hours back to L A on friday night after class and go back sunday afternoon and be back to class on monday morning. Did I say we were 21? Heck, we used to drive to San Francisco just to check the mail and turn around and come back home. We had my grandparents house there for 10 years after they died. It took that long to clean it up, really.
Old 05-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Antony.
Instructor

we have done several 500 mile weekends, but nothing too crazy. when we were 21 and going to school in Idaho we would drive 14 hours back to L A on friday night after class and go back sunday afternoon and be back to class on monday morning. Did I say we were 21? Heck, we used to drive to San Francisco just to check the mail and turn around and come back home. We had my grandparents house there for 10 years after they died. It took that long to clean it up, really.
When I was 18 I moved over to england for a while and remember a few 350 mile + road trips in the old mini with 5 people and luggage crammed in there. Good smelly fun ;-)
Old 05-12-2008, 06:12 AM
hebrewhomeboy
Advanced

I bought my previous car (E36 BMW) in my old hometown of Tallahassee, Florida, and drove it straight out to where I was stationed at the time, which was Monterey, California. 40 hours straight, and something like 2800 miles.

Looking back, it was pretty stupid and I should have stopped somewhere and gotten some sleep, but oh well. At least now I'm smart enough to not do that again.

Quick Reply: T-minus 7 days until 2000km solo road trip.