Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turboed my Carrera 3.2, youtubes and pics

Old 05-10-2008, 01:07 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you source all the piping, hardware, brackets, etc from protomotive or did you fabricate them yourself? They look like professional welds.

Very clean, pretty install. I want! $5-6k is not bad at ALL. If this was a kit, I'd go buy a 911 and buy the kit.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:30 AM
RacingBeat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally, spence thanks so much for the pics........to me personally, your machine is perfect as far as the color combos, wide body with no tail.......wow, awesome man!! easily my favorite one i've seen on this forum, sounds like a great drive too.......

i thought my purchase effectively cured my porsche envy but 'fraid not.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:42 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingBeat
sounds like a great drive too...
i had the pleasure of driving it on saturday...what a BEAST!!!

doesnt feel like a typical turbo car i.e ZERO lag and very smooth and progressive power delivery. very quick and very nice to drive. sounds awesome too

overall, probably the nicest carrera i've ever laid eyes on

spence, if you ever sell it i'll be 1st in line to buy
Old 05-11-2008, 08:15 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AndrewM - It's called Slate Gray.

FRPorscheman - it's not actually a kit, more a collection of parts, I didn't fabricate anything, it's all off the shelf stuff, the headers are 930 aftermarket items (OBX - very cheap!). If you want a complete list I will write out what you'll need, Merv (wydryd) recommended the turbo size and even ordered it for me (ATPturbo) along with the proto stuff as he knows Todd from there well. 5-6K is if you do it with new headers, Ball bearing turbo and exhaust, you could do it much cheaper than that and I doubt the results would be much under mine if any at all.

RacingBeat - Thanks a lot for the kind words, I was very lucky to find the car, I'm sure yours is just as nice. It's funny how when you own one thing you want the other, I always look at narrow bodies and think 'I wish I had one of those as well' as they look more true to the original design and the weight difference is significant. If you're ever over this way I will throw you the keys.

JV - Great to finally meet you face to face mate! Glad you liked it, looking forward to seeing your beast.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:46 PM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

If I had G-50 tranny, I'd concider this.

-------------
85 Carrera, ticket me red, factory sport seats, 7&8 Fuchs, & LSD.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:59 PM
RacingBeat
Instructor

damn i thought i cured my porsche envy..........crap man....!!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:53 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

My car has the protomotive set up, I'm at stage 2 with stage 3 injectors in a narrow body '89 Carrera (anniversary car). My dyno run with a .8 bar spring resulted in 400rwhp and 444 Tq. I actually de-tuned this car from a 1.0 bar spring for engine longevity. Prototech in Ft. Lauderdale did the conversion for the previous owner.

JV is right these cars do not drive like 930's. The power band is much more linear. Take your beast to the track for some real fun Spence. I run mine regularly on track and it's a blast. Just keep an eye on the oil temp, I run a front oil cooler as well as a big IC and don't have any temp issues.

Nice to see a recent project from Protomotive on another 3.2. I may order some new headers for mine if they're reasonable.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:42 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Hey Coyote,

Great to hear about your car, there's not too many turboed 3.2s around!

I really want to be where you are by the end of the year, do you know what other mods the actual engine has had apart from the C2 gaskets I assume it's running to lower the compression? Are you running the stock AFM? Do you have any AFR adjustment? Is your oil tank vented to the atmo and do you get an oil smell coming out of it? Sorry about all the questions. 400rwhp must be awesome!

I can't wait to get it to the track, the suspension needs work and I need to find a good set of rubber as it hasn't been easy, 245/16/45s are getting hard to find for the back.

Spence
Old 05-14-2008, 01:42 AM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spence88mph
245/16/45s are getting hard to find for the back
i see 335/40/16 in your future spence

looks like a nice setup coyote...please dont post any more pics or i may end up doing something silly like going out and buying a GT35 kit
Old 05-14-2008, 10:31 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

Spence,

Yes, it is running lower compression; 8.80/1

It also has a high pressure fuel pump (13PSI), high flow injectors(stage III). I don;t think the cams are upgraded, but the head flow is re-worked and the motronic system is the real genius.

You can get BFG R-1 DOT slicks are available in the 245/45/16's for the rear....that's what I have now. I'm working out the kinks on 225's up front, but right now I wish I had a wide body car for more tire.

JV....I think your avatar is even better **** than mine...LOL. Here's a shot for ya; in the rain at Autobahn in Joliet near Chicago. Try driving one of these cars in the rain on the track!
Attached Images  
Old 05-15-2008, 12:17 AM
flatsixnut
Burning Brakes

Nice powerplant and beautiful car Spence! I have always wanted and will have an oldschool 930 along side my SC one day. I have always loved the throttle responce and sound of NA cars compaired to boosted cars....is there a way to have the best of both worlds? You have to admit, side by side a new GT3 sounds way better than a new TT.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

JV- 335s! I don5t think I could spin those!

Coyote - Sweet car, slicks would be great on the track and I may have a trackday coming up but I need a road tyre too. Driving in the wet is a real handful at my power level, must be fun at yours!

flatsixnut - Thanks for the nice comments, I never really think of old 911s as having a revy throttle responsive engines, certainly not the 3.2, stock they feel a bit lazy and dont seem to wake up til 4500+.

I know what you mean about GT3s sounding great as they do but so do TTs with aftermarket systems, remember the turbos act as mufflers in a way too. The sound of a turbo spooling up, wastegate opening, engine howling and a big kick in the back is pretty pleasing too!
Old 05-15-2008, 10:36 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Spence, in the US, you can get 245/45-16 Sumitomo HTR Z's (I have these in 245/45-17 for my SHO, and they're pretty darned sticky - 160 A A rating), and Conti Sport Contacts, also 160 A A but more than twice the price as the Sumi's, and the Hankook Ventus R-S2 (200 AA A). I have had zero problems with the Sumi's in the SHO in the rain (she's the wet weather car for my 911 Cab).
Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Coyote99
Rennlist Member

I am finishing off a set of Kumho Exctas (sp?) and they've been great tires with several track days on them. For my street and rain tire I'm going to try the latest version from Kumho.

Spence, let me know what you end up getting for street tires and how you like them.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:31 PM
SPDADCT
Instructor

Hi Spence,

Any updates on this great project, have you gone to intercooling? Has the car been on the dyno, any other upgrades?

SPD

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turboed my Carrera 3.2, youtubes and pics