Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turboed my Carrera 3.2, youtubes and pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:21 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, a Turbo-look WITH a Turbo - what a concept! Very handsome car, Spence, and the turbo installation looks first rate. Could you post contact info for the kit? I wonder if it's possible to install with heat exchangers?
Old 05-07-2008, 10:33 AM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

NICCCCCCEEEEEEEE
Old 05-07-2008, 07:47 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the nice comments guys!

Jerry - Dynoing not this weekend but the next will let you know. Wheels are stock 16s; 9s and 7s and yes wheelspin, but not a hell of a lot and very controllable.

Chris - The Carrera engine will produce more power than a 930 engine at the same boost levels, yes higher compression but also better fueling with EFI, better cams, better heads but with the strength of pretty much the same crank and the same rods. Plus a 5 speed for more drivability.

The no tail look was a special order, they delivered the car with the tail in a huge box, it's never been mounted and sits under my bed! The car is 100% stock including the wheel colour except for the recent engine mods.

Dave - hehe, if you look in the back of 101 projects it actually says something about back in the day racers ordered turbo looks then turboed them so not very original along with all the other people who have done it.

It's not a kit, I worked it out with the help of reading this and the other forum plus some knowledged members what parts I needed then fitted them in the garage. Yes you can use the stock exchangers as they're actually the same exchangers as a 930, you just replace the cat and muffler with the 930 stuff being a J-pipe and muffer. I was going to use a jpipe and bought one for the conversion but decided I wanted it all new under there and the headers are said to give another 20hp and better spool up.

Shaynes - Nice garage DAMN!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by spence88mph
Chris-
The no tail look was a special order, they delivered the car with the tail in a huge box, it's never been mounted and sits under my bed!
Your bed must be really high off the ground!

Chris - The Carrera engine will produce more power than a 930 engine at the same boost levels, yes higher compression but also better fueling with EFI, better cams, better heads but with the strength of pretty much the same crank and the same rods. Plus a 5 speed for more drivability.
That was my next question; can the stock 3.2 internals handle that kind of power? I guess so.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:10 AM
Diamond Blue
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Spence,

Ok thanks for giving me another project to consider. What was the cost of the system that you have on your car? The other question is where the filter is located, how do you not pick up water through the intake? How safe is the system from detonation on say, a hot day at the track?

Thanks
Michael
Old 05-08-2008, 02:30 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Just be VERY careful with the octane you're feeding it. Otherwise, be prepared for a meltdown of cylinder #6. (Ask me how I know).
Old 05-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Dave Thomas
Racer

Dave - hehe, if you look in the back of 101 projects it actually says something about back in the day racers ordered turbo looks then turboed them so not very original along with all the other people who have done it.

It's not a kit, I worked it out with the help of reading this and the other forum plus some knowledged members what parts I needed then fitted them in the garage. Yes you can use the stock exchangers as they're actually the same exchangers as a 930, you just replace the cat and muffler with the 930 stuff being a J-pipe and muffer. I was going to use a jpipe and bought one for the conversion but decided I wanted it all new under there and the headers are said to give another 20hp and better spool up.
Wow, very nice installation Spence. Impressive. I did a search on Protomotive and found that they're only a few hours from here - road trip!
Old 05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Chris - the internals are well and truly strong enough to take that and a lot more boost/power, the next step is just lowering the compression with some thicker C2 head gaskets and more boost (stage 2), it gives you close to 500hp! I would add better studs for that put protomotive say there's no need. Of course with all mods you want to start with a strong engine... Or wait til it blows for a good excuse for stage 2 or stage 3!

Edgy - thanks for the advice, I only run it on 98 or 100 octane.
Diamond Blue - you can see where the filter is mounted, it stays pretty clean, you can get a wet sock to put on them for rain but as people say a little rain inn there wont hurt. You have to remember people have those pods in the front of there cars getting more rain etc than you would at the back with no issues, it's also not in line with the spray from the tyres plus, it's always getting fresh cold air, I like it there. Cost wise, I honestly haven't added it all up (I dont want to) but I think I spent about 5-6k. You could really cut corners though and get pretty much the same result using a cheaper turbo (like an older design Garret T4/T3 Hybrid or 2nd hand 930 K27), j pipe, 2hand 930 muffler etc. The thing is, because you're not lowering your compression, any setup will be an improvement.

Detonation on a hot day, I am told it's safe but i would be lying if I said it doesn't enter my head. It has been through a very hot summer here but not under prolonged boost. I would be on the safe side and intercool before a decent track floggin, I dont think street is a concern you can only boost for few seconds before you're on the wrong side of the law! At least now I want to take it to the track where as before I always thought it wouldn't be very entertaining, especially since I do motorbike track days.

Edgy - thanks for the advice, I only ruin high octane.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:07 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Dave, the proto guys really know their stuff! They create 1000hp Daily Driven 911 road cars!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
KeithC2Turto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was your oil return line and chip programing sourced through Protomotove?
Or are you using some piggy back systems to retard and fuel?
Old 05-09-2008, 04:03 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

hey keith, the oil return line was purchased with the turbo from ATP turbo. I then just needed a fitting to convert the -10AN to M20, that was a PITA but once I found one it was clear sailing (Earls, they have lots and some of the best service I've ever had).

Proto supplied the fuel pressure regulator, chip and charge pipe. You could easily make the charge pipe and preferably use an adjustable FPR like the BEGI jbrinkley used, my proto unit is fixed so I can't adjust AFRs. I am going to use a MAP2ECU (http://www.mapecu.com/) piggy back unit that will remove the AFM and allow a lot of adjustment so it's not a concern for me. The Proto is great to get you up and going though.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:41 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Spence,

Nothing like half a bar!
I just want to say, FH!
Old 05-09-2008, 08:16 AM
J. Brinkley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Spence, Did Merv go with that map ecu? I remember him talking about it a long time ago.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:24 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

thanks frank, if you're ever down this way I'll take you for a spin.

Jerry, Merv runs a protomotive piggyback, I think it's MAF?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:25 PM
AndrewM
Pro

Spence,
What color is your car?
Drew
86 930

Quick Reply: Turboed my Carrera 3.2, youtubes and pics