Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa purchase

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 AM
lovehz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Targa purchase

Hello all, I am close to purchasing my first Porsche, a 1986 Targa. I have always liked the looks of the targa. However, I am getting cold feet as I read about the troubles with leaking Targa tops etc. Is it really that bad? Would a Targa not be recommended as a daily driver? I do live in an area that doesn't get much rain but do like going to the west coast ocassionally. Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:35 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

BC doesn't get much rain? This is news to me. I have an 88 targa. I drive it all the time; rain, snow, sun, wind...etc. I just don't drive it in salt. It's been good to me so far. Just once in a while under a torrential down pour it will have a drop or two out of the door jamb at the top. Opening and closing the door seems to solve it, don't really know why and I am not about to spend a lot of money to find out. I just rehydrate the seals with rubber stuff and hope it helps. But I have no problems or worries going on a 3hr highway cruise on a rainy day to get where I need to be.

Maybe my targa seals were done before I bought the car...I don't know. Have you gotten a PPI or are you going to? Please list details about the car and your research. Pics are always a help. The more info you give, such as; price, mileage, location, story, history, reasons for buying, reasons for selling...etc. The more people here can help you. Also, everyone loves to look at pictures.

-matt
Old 05-06-2008, 01:10 AM
hebrewhomeboy
Advanced

I have a 78 targa with a top in great condition (I never fold it), and during rain I get an occasional drop of water from the edge of the targa top that drops about 1 inch to the left of my left leg. That's about it. Slightly annoying, but nothing serious. The targas are great cars, just make sure to take good care of the top itself, it's not cheap to buy a new one (or used for that matter).

Oh, and I'd actually say a targa is better than the hardtop for a daily driver. The A/C in the older 911s don't have a reputation for being that great, so taking the top down is a nice way to get some air (and a little bit of sun). I love my targa top, and I'd recommend them to anyone, of course, as long as the PPI is good.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:19 AM
LaughaC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No leaks from my targa... but many of the door windows leak in coupes, targas and cabs. Just go for it.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:00 AM
DRACO A5OG
Racer

I recently replaced my front seal with CarsInc (Dan) OEM Reproduction Original Fit. It made a huge difference.

I love my Targa, you will love it too.

It is just so cool to go top down on a whim and Tracks will allow a Targa but not a Convertable

Last edited by DRACO A5OG; 05-06-2008 at 03:00 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 AM
300cd300sdl911
Advanced

I have a Targa with a top that is in need of refurbishment but it doesn't leak. I really try not to drive in the rain so I can't say it's water tight in a driving rain storm. I'm still not sure if I love my Targa but it sure is fun to drive in the almost open air when the weather is nice. In my mind Targa's are a great Porche value. They typically sell for much less than comparable coupes or cabs yet offer the same performance and fun factor.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Sailmed
Three Wheelin'

Location: In the boatyard installing the mast and engine, we don't need a crane, we harness the mesquito's! Yeah!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too be quite honest.... I don't think my Targa leaks in the rain

But then again, when it's raining........

I drive a 928
Old 05-06-2008, 01:36 PM
irie1029
Advanced

You will love the targa! My 89 is original and no leak and yes it saw the rain... at a DE event.

Today it is 75 and sunny the top is comming off!!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:09 AM
lovehz
7th Gear

Default Car Details

Thanks for the replies. The car is on it's way to the dealer. It's a one owner car with about 70,000 km. I have done the carproof/carfax, a Bc insurance check and a lien check. Everything is clean. The car will be inspected in the next couple of days. I don't have the option codes yet and I will have pictures in a day or two. The car is triple black no spoiler.
I'm getting excited as this has been a long wait!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on what every one else has said. I'd check two things: 1) The Targa top seals on the car (around the windsheild and around the targa bar) and 2) The Targa Top itself.

If the top needs to be worked on, DEFINITELY use Dan Petchel at Cars Inc. I don't know what it runs, but IMHO is definitely worth it. If the seals on the car need replacement, that too can be pricey but will fix any leaks.

I miss my targa and hope to add a 3.2 to the collection within the next few years.

Congratulations!
-Blake

-Blake
Old 05-07-2008, 12:33 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by lovehz
Thanks for the replies. The car is on it's way to the dealer. It's a one owner car with about 70,000 km. I have done the carproof/carfax, a Bc insurance check and a lien check. Everything is clean. The car will be inspected in the next couple of days. I don't have the option codes yet and I will have pictures in a day or two. The car is triple black no spoiler.
I'm getting excited as this has been a long wait!
Year, price? Is this dealer knowledgeable with that vintage of 911? A lot of them are not and usually it is best to seek out an independent with the correct experience. Just my 0.02

-matt
Old 05-07-2008, 12:47 AM
lovehz
7th Gear

The car is a 1986. The price will be high 20's. The dealer does deal with Porsche and seems to have a good reputation from what I've read on the Porsche club website. They sell cars from the mid 80's to new and have been around for a long time. There is a service shop close by that deals with early 911's and that's where I'm going to take it for an inspection.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 AM
old man neri
Drifting

Originally Posted by lovehz
The car is a 1986. The price will be high 20's. The dealer does deal with Porsche and seems to have a good reputation from what I've read on the Porsche club website. They sell cars from the mid 80's to new and have been around for a long time. There is a service shop close by that deals with early 911's and that's where I'm going to take it for an inspection.
Cool, that's great news. The only piece of advice I can give you is to consider looking at cars in the US. An 86' Targa in the US is probably going for the mid to high teens, depending on condition. For high 20s you can get a really really nice 911 in the US. Just something to consider.

Cheers!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 PM
jcs911
5th Gear

I have an 84 Targa. At some point I will be getting the top restored - but so far it has been fine. Mine makes a bit too much noise over 60 mph and it leaks some in the rain - but I don't drive it in the rain much anyway.

I also had a blow back (I left the latches unhooked and lost the top on a highway!!!!) Pretty bad situation that only scuffed my top and did not cause any accidents - so I am grateful.

My advice - prepare to spend about $1,100 restoring the top if it needs it - that's the cost for a FULL restore with seals. Perhaps you won't have to do that - but better to be conservative.

Nothing beats driving a targa with the top off - feels a bit safer and the airflow is awesome.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Mine was loud at 130mph - very loud - but how often are you driving that fast? Mine leaked at the front-left corner, but only a couple drops here and there. Nothing major. It's not worth worrying over, and besides, you can stop the leaks if you spend time with it.

I would buy the Targa, you probably won't regret it.

Quick Reply: Targa purchase