Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Now just a minute...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:05 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

LOL! Good one, John! I decided, with Father's Day approaching rapidly, that a new spoiler from Performance Products will be just the ticket. I get a nice discount from them, so to save a few bucks buying used doesn't make sense to me. I didn't realize until I talked with PP last week that they've got a nice inventory of o.e. units...
Old 05-19-2008, 11:07 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

No problem Pete.

John
Old 05-19-2008, 11:12 AM
84_Carrera
Legacy Flounder
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just don't expect to get your "in-stock" order processed the same day you place it. Oh, and don't bother with paying extra for 2nd day shipping, they'll want to send it ground anyway. Yeah, it was a stupid little order I placed, but I got miffed when they muffed it up, then "fixed" it so I still didn't get my expandable oil return tubes when I needed them. But it's ok, they'll be sure to ship my backordered for nearly a month burgundy floor mats 2nd day when they come in...

Grrr. I gotta learn to lighten up. In 100 years, it won't matter, right?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:25 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Just don't expect to get your "in-stock" order processed the same day you place it. Oh, and don't bother with paying extra for 2nd day shipping, they'll want to send it ground anyway. Yeah, it was a stupid little order I placed, but I got miffed when they muffed it up, then "fixed" it so I still didn't get my expandable oil return tubes when I needed them. But it's ok, they'll be sure to ship my backordered for nearly a month burgundy floor mats 2nd day when they come in...
Oh, yeah, PP is as slow as the flow of Molassas where Brent lives! I think we all know why douglas prefers to drive over to their store...

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Grrr. I gotta learn to lighten up. In 100 years, it won't matter, right?
Funny, my brother used to say that, and I sort of adopted it as a saying that I like. I know that it's helped me out a time or two!

While we're on the subject of spoilers, I want to let everyone know that I had a very good transaction with Rennlister "genripper," regarding the Carrera tail, which is probably going to be Guards Red by the end of the week. The part was fairly priced and accurately represented. Thank you, genripper!
Old 05-19-2008, 12:00 PM
rbuswell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking College Bowl of Porsche

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I beg to disagree. First of all, Pelican isn't a haven for scammers. They may try to get in there due to the number of potential buyers, but they get weeded out in short order. There is a pretty good group of regular buyers and sellers. Great advice though on looking out for new members selling.

As to the volume, sure there are some bizarre threads, but what's different over here?

There is a wealth of knowledge over there too. Maybe not all to the level of Pete, but Steve Weiner posts there a bit, and guys like Grady Clay and John Walker have forgotten more things than any of us will ever know. Don't ever shortchange or dismiss Pelican as non-relevant. If you ever get into an engine rebuild, the engine build section has a lot of talent that can help you over speed bumps.
+1 on Grady, John and Steve. They're exceptionally knowledgeable and if there was ever a "College Bowl" of Porsche knowledge, you would put these three guys together with Peter and they'd be unbeatable.

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Oh, yeah, PP is as slow as the flow of Molassas where Brent lives! I think we all know why douglas prefers to drive over to their store...

Funny, my brother used to say that, and I sort of adopted it as a saying that I like. I know that it's helped me out a time or two!

While we're on the subject of spoilers, I want to let everyone know that I had a very good transaction with Rennlister "genripper," regarding the Carrera tail, which is probably going to be Guards Red by the end of the week. The part was fairly priced and accurately represented. Thank you, genripper!
Wayne's World (that's Wayne Dempsey, better known as the owner of Pelican Parts) is an anachronism in the parts business. You pays your money and you takes your chances. But you'll never find a more enthusiastic Porsche guy anywhere.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:22 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Pete, have you read the rules regarding discounds in the RennRules? I too get a discount at Performance Products. I don't know why. It could be that they know it's an hour drive for me or that Pelican kills 'em on price, but the invoice is always lower than the cataloge. On the same note I got my cat bypass, gaskets, nuts and bolts, from a felow rennlister for $50.oo. Is that a bad thing? And my chip....my guilty pleasure....It was free. But I think we all knew that going in. It's funny that Pelican openly buys from Performance. TRE sets its prices (in my case) on pelican prices. Pelican can buy from Porsche and sell to me for 30% below dealer retail even special order stuff not listed on the Pelican website. TRE and Performance have a 30 year working relationship. It's all one big happy family. Who knew?

Last edited by Amber Gramps; 05-19-2008 at 02:34 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 PM
genripper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Peter Zimmermann;54260.

While we're on the subject of spoilers, I want to let everyone know that I had a very good transaction with Rennlister "genripper," regarding the Carrera tail, which is probably going to be Guards Red by the end of the week. The part was fairly priced and accurately represented. Thank you, genripper! [/QUOTE]

Peter,

Thank you for the kind words, and all of your wisdom you share with everyone here!!

Pictures please when the tail is installed!
Old 05-19-2008, 03:21 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Hah! I didn't even know there was such a thing as Rennrules! My discount is PCA based with Perf Prod, but how they do pricing is anyone's guess. I do know that some shops set their prices at or near retailers like PP, but there is also an extra layer at the wholesale level that shops are able to take advantage of - a level where a big initial purchase is usually required, along with documentation such as a resale permit and usually a brick & mortar address. Shops that have been in business for a very long time try to stay between 20 and 30% less, for retail items, than their closest one or two dealers. Of course this is only possible when the shop is able to buy o.e. parts (like Mahle pistons, Bosch plugs, Dilavar studs, Carrera Tensioner kits, etc.) from a wholesaler. Many times, the shop has little choice but to buy from the dealer, at a 20% discount, and then charge "dealer retail" for that part. Dealer retail is also a myth, dealers can charge anything that they want for a part, and even add shipping charges to a possibly inflated retail number. Hey, I'm all for buying used, but not in many areas. I mentioned to ice to not buy a used airbox (no way to judge how flexible the plastic is, or how hardened it's become with age); I would never buy used shocks (without a test dyno there's no way to know if they're good), used seat belts (were they removed from a car that had a major front end accident), or an aluminum rear trailing arm (without the jig you don't know if it's bent until it's installed), but parts that can be looked at and evaluated visually are another matter. When it's all said and done, buying used can be very beneficial for both parties in the transaction. The Carrera tail that I just bought is good/used, from the dealer it's NLA, so buying used is a means to an end. For me, buying a new chin spoiler + install kit makes sense, because the difference between typical resale of a used one, and what I have to pay for a new one, is small enough that it will not impact my wallet. On the other hand, if I'm painting my '71 S, and just discovered bad rust where the front fenders attach to the body, and I just found a pair of rust/damage free used fenders for $800, I'll be all over those like white on rice!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:11 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

I bought a used muffler, for $30 you really can't go wrong. The fact that it was in better shape then the current muffler was just icing.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:27 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pelican skipped a beat with my last order. I should have had it in 2 weeks but got it in 5. I said ship complete & it was except for the Elephant Polybronze. I kept checking their online form & it remained BO'd. After 3 weeks I phoned Chuck at Elephant to see what the stock problem was. Pelican forgot to order it. After I reminded them . . .

Ian
Old 05-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by genripper
Peter, Pictures please when the tail is installed!
You bet! I'm sure that we're a few weeks away, after the tail is painted I'll pick it up from the shop, bring it home, fit it to my lid, check the paint match and then take the entire piece back to refinish the lid part (or adjust the color to the tail), whatever is still necessary.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:29 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by imcarthur
Pelican skipped a beat with my last order. I should have had it in 2 weeks but got it in 5. I said ship complete & it was except for the Elephant Polybronze. I kept checking their online form & it remained BO'd. After 3 weeks I phoned Chuck at Elephant to see what the stock problem was. Pelican forgot to order it. After I reminded them . . .

Ian
THAT sux...

Best,
Old 05-19-2008, 08:50 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, it does but this is their 1st slip. **** happens. But it cost me the early spring work window & I am still playing catch-up. I should have it done the 1st week of May - but it will be a month later . . .

Ian
Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

They've mess one of my orders as well. They sent my car cover to some chick in Saskatchewan and I got hers. They wanted the both of us to ship our covers back. I said no, I said I would ship mine to her and she could ship me hers. I wasn't going to go through another few weeks delays as the packages get screened by customs twice. Pelican was very accommodating and sorted it all out though.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by imcarthur

Ian
Those types of products, I typically buy direct from the manufacturer. Pricing is usually the same, and in a couple of cases, less.

Quick Reply: Now just a minute...