Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Iceman Saga and Your worst mistake

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008 | 06:36 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Iceman Saga and Your worst mistake

The Iceman Saga brought to mind several mistakes I have made thu the years. What is your interesting/funny/informative/breathtaking event of bad wrenchmanship?
Old 04-30-2008 | 07:17 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeas ago i had a holden (isuzu) gemini. HOT engine...stroker crank, 13:1 compression, ported head, twin webbers, avgas etc etc etc.

anyway one day i bought some longer intake trumpets/stacks for the webers and aparently i neglected to tighten all the bolts tightly. while driving one of the bolts worked itself loose and found its way into the intake manifold and into the combustion chamber!!!

smashed a piston, gouged a hole in the cylinder wall and destroyed the head
Old 04-30-2008 | 07:29 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

okay since I could fill a whole thread on my own with my exploits . I am going to leave this thread alone until the bleeding stops on the current wound.
Old 04-30-2008 | 07:57 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't worry, ice, your airbox was a ticking time bomb anyway. Early box with no diffuser, wrong plug wires madly arcing all over the engine compartment, you know...
Old 04-30-2008 | 08:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

waiiiiit a minute .. those were new wires and bosch to boot.... they worked great .. when ... um .... er.... plugged in properly....
Old 04-30-2008 | 08:15 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 111 Likes on 67 Posts

Well.....there was that time I turned my targa top into a 20lb kite or the time I tore my nose open with it and got a nasty scar out of it.

As for bad wrenchmenship.....well I once patched a hole in the muffler with some sheet metal and tie wraps. It sort of worked but apparently it wasn't good enough to pass safety inspection.

I am sure there are others I will remember soon enough.
Old 04-30-2008 | 08:27 PM
Marty916
Instructor

I once forgot to torque the flywheel bolts on a Mini Cooper S. It departed the vehicle at an upward angle while at speed. It came through the windshield and landed in the back seat. At least I didn't lose it....
Old 04-30-2008 | 09:47 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm obviously just going to have to try harder because other than not tightening lug nuts I haven't done anything serious stupid . , . Yet.

Ian - on the road in Atlanta via Blackberry
Old 04-30-2008 | 09:51 PM
JV911
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marty916
At least I didn't lose it....
lucky you didnt wear it!!!

i've seen some nasty pics of what can happen when a flywheel enters the cabin
Old 04-30-2008 | 11:04 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

---Marty--- WOW, I think you are going to take the checkerd flag in this one. Hope your spectacular bit of misjudgement does not scare off more stories. Glad you lived to wrench another day.
Old 05-01-2008 | 12:55 AM
Paul523
Pro

wow Marty, decapitation by flywheel would not be a good thing.

About 20 yrs ago I had an old MG Midget. It was my first car, beautiful, had authentic wire wheels w/ knock-off center hubs and all....... but the horrendous design of the front steering spindles / kingpins on these old MGs were infamous for causing worn-out bushings and resulting sloppy steering and clunking road behavior.

So my brilliant idea was to swap out the symmetrical part of the driver's side spindle assy. with an identical & well-preserved piece from a parts car. Long story short, the exchange worked fine except that the replacement parts were from the passenger side of the MG parts car....... in my ignorance I re-assembled the suspension, slid my original wire wheel onto the new hub splines and hammered the new knock-off into place.

Soon after, taking a victory lap up I-71.... and the blasted LF wire wheel separated from the car--- worked its way off the splines & the wheel proceeded to pass me on the left berm as the Midget slammed down onto the lower control arm at 60mph. Knucklehead 18 year-old kid I was--- wholly oblivious to the basic requirement that a driver's side knock-off wheel must use a LEFT-HAND threaded hub and knock-off. No accident or damage except grinding off half the sway bar link. what an ijiot!
Old 05-01-2008 | 02:47 AM
brad-cam
Burning Brakes

But I've heard that these English cars are so durable and rugged that they can keep on going even if they lose their wheels and flywheel. It's only the electrical system that cripples them
Old 05-01-2008 | 07:49 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I was using a long pipe as breaker bar to loosen the oil filter (tightened by the dealership) on my VW Jetta not thinking about where my head is incase the bar slipped off.

All I remember is the oil filter cup slipping off and seeing stars for a few seconds

I am sure glad the pipe was only hollow aluminum.

3 nails, 2 addtional oil filter wrenchs, a drill bit and plenty of swearing helped me remove it.

John
Old 05-01-2008 | 09:03 AM
Kolbjorn S
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul523
About 20 yrs ago I had an old MG Midget. It was my first car, beautiful, had authentic wire wheels w/ knock-off center hubs and all....... but the horrendous design of the front steering spindles / kingpins on these old MGs were infamous for causing worn-out bushings and resulting sloppy steering and clunking road behavior.

So my brilliant idea was to swap out the symmetrical part of the driver's side spindle assy. with an identical & well-preserved piece from a parts car. Long story short, the exchange worked fine except that the replacement parts were from the passenger side of the MG parts car....... in my ignorance I re-assembled the suspension, slid my original wire wheel onto the new hub splines and hammered the new knock-off into place.

Soon after, taking a victory lap up I-71.... and the blasted LF wire wheel separated from the car--- worked its way off the splines & the wheel proceeded to pass me on the left berm as the Midget slammed down onto the lower control arm at 60mph. Knucklehead 18 year-old kid I was--- wholly oblivious to the basic requirement that a driver's side knock-off wheel must use a LEFT-HAND threaded hub and knock-off. No accident or damage except grinding off half the sway bar link. what an ijiot!
I had a related British motoring experience as a student. Doing 30mph in rush-hour city traffic across a bridge the left front wheel of my 1973 Morris Mini van (still got it!) came off .... My bright yellow Mini skidded in sparks and luckily came to a halt without causing an accident or further damage to the car. The wheel however, proceeded across the bridge and hit the front of a parked bus full of people. It was the most embarrassing moment walking over there taking the wheel off the bus-driver with 100s of on-lookers
I then collected the wheel nuts I forgot to tighten the night before, now scattered around the bridge, and eventually got the wheel back on.
Old 05-01-2008 | 12:23 PM
Marty916
Instructor

Interesting how most of these "incidents" involve British cars. If these posts help to prevent future mishaps, it was worth the experience.

Quick Reply: Iceman Saga and Your worst mistake