Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Another no-joke...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:59 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

we should start a fund. "The save 912 #0002 fund." could be fun.
Old 04-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by douglas bray
we should start a fund. "The save 912 #0002 fund." could be fun.
Whoo-Hoo!!!

Quick update - no reply as yet, owner might be on vacation/away on biz...
Old 04-06-2008, 03:22 AM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or maybe thinking it over and/or doing some research. He can not do the type and grade of restoration that you are considering and come out any where near right side up. You have the connections and skills and knowledge advantage. If this were a Spyder he could buy a proper restoration and come out on top, may be also a real Speedster or maybe even. With this 912, you definitely have the advantage-- IF the guy puts accurate numbers to the restoration. I would lay a bet that if the guy starts a restoration that you will hear back from him because of cost-value control. If there is a 3rd party contact that is on your side, you may want to use that for covert information input if you do not hear back.

You mentioned Snap-ON a couple of discussions back. I see some Snap-On tools are pretty reasonable on ebay now, which is sad news. . I just got another flex head ratchet torque 3/8 inch drive for $78 that is in excellent shape. I think they are about $240 new. With the tighter management of some shops and dealerships, this is not good. But it may be a good time to upgrade from Craftsman to Snap-on for those who like good tools.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Ron Minson
Pro

Pete, I am not sure that WE (we is defined as the collective WE, and all of the true air cooled enthusiasts who read this board on a daily bases) can accept a no answer from this guy. I appreciate your efforts to persuade him via email, but if that does not work, I know a guy name Vinny from the Camaro boards that owes me a favor. I am not inferring anything about Vinny’s email authoring skills but he is very persuasive in other methods. Who knows, the future ex owner of this car might even offer you a discounted rate for the car after a discussion with Vinny and his friends.

Good luck, we truly look forward to you getting this car a documenting the restoration.

If you get this car, is the restoration something worthy of contacting one of the shows like Rides or something on Speed about documenting the restoration?

Ron
Old 04-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Brads911sc
Racer

Sounds like a scene from the Sopranos.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

your diggin' the F'ing hole .....
Old 04-06-2008, 02:54 PM
rosco28
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ron- very funny!

Pete - I've only been a member here since i bought my '79 sc a couple of weeks ago, and i already know that this car was destined for you. Since this guy has had the car forever it's hard to part with it, i get that. Does he recognise the potential for THIS (his) particular vehicle? He could throw his clubs in your '82, and probably be happier than with his fix'er upper...

I downloaded an amazing program documenting the complete restoration of a 1970 911T. Although completely in German (no subs) i hardly noticed. the work was brilliant. All in the all the production was 120 minutes. I found this on the bittorrent site mininova.org, searching for Porsche 911, this came up as 1970 911t restoration. enjoy!

rosco28
Old 04-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeflyer
Or maybe thinking it over and/or doing some research. He can not do the type and grade of restoration that you are considering and come out any where near right side up. You have the connections and skills and knowledge advantage. If this were a Spyder he could buy a proper restoration and come out on top, may be also a real Speedster or maybe even. With this 912, you definitely have the advantage-- IF the guy puts accurate numbers to the restoration. I would lay a bet that if the guy starts a restoration that you will hear back from him because of cost-value control. If there is a 3rd party contact that is on your side, you may want to use that for covert information input if you do not hear back.

You mentioned Snap-ON a couple of discussions back. I see some Snap-On tools are pretty reasonable on ebay now, which is sad news. . I just got another flex head ratchet torque 3/8 inch drive for $78 that is in excellent shape. I think they are about $240 new. With the tighter management of some shops and dealerships, this is not good. But it may be a good time to upgrade from Craftsman to Snap-on for those who like good tools.

Jake: I'm really hoping that he (the 912 owner) is not going to use bailing wire, chewing gum and STP to put the car on the road. If he does, in some weird way I think that we all lose. I'm sure that he's not aware of today's real costs to restore an early car, even a 912, but maybe a good thing would be for him to get some numbers...

SnapOn tools are definitely high quality stuff, but not everything in my box is made by them. I have a set of large open/box wrenches, up to 36mm, made by Stahwille, and most of my smaller wrenches, except for the ones that I lost over the years, are by Hazet. I bought the Stahwilles new (gasp!), but the Hazets came in a large cardboard box of tools that I bought from a guy who retired when I was an apprentice. My hand got used to them, and nothing else feels as "right" in my hand. SnapOn makes "shorty" open/box wrenches that are invaluable (the 13mm one works perfect to loosen the positive battery terminal in '74> 911s). Not much out there in screwdrivers is better than SnapOn, they're about all that I use.

In today's world it's extremely difficult for independent shops to stay open. The environment from the P-car dealer can be almost hostile, and around here they are charging a "matrix" price that's considerably higher than "suggested retail". If a P-car only shop has to pay the matrix price, less their discount, it becomes very difficult for them to be competitive. Then you have test equipment, required to work on 997s, that costs upwards of $25K, which means that you won't be seeing too many shops working on those cars! High labor rates are a result of high rent and reasonable salaries for technicians, and if a shop fails I guess that those are the tools that can be found on eBay. Kinda sad...

Quick Reply: Another no-joke...