Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Retrofit A/C to a SC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 09:12 PM
DSC928
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Retrofit A/C to a SC?

Hello, please forgive any stupid questions, I'm just a simple 928 owner .

I've been looking at adding another P-car to compliment the GTS and am considering a early '80's SC. I've always liked those years. I have found a couple prospects without factory A/C. I need that A/C living in Fl.,..... so my question is how tough and expensive would it be to add an aftermarket system? I know a few places like rennaire, griffiths etc. have systems.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:07 PM
lucroberts
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Russell, try Vertex in Miami. Give them a call and get an estimate. Website : www.vertexauto.com
Old 03-25-2008, 10:12 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DSC928
I've been looking at adding another P-car to compliment the GTS and am considering a early '80's SC. I've always liked those years. I have found a couple prospects without factory A/C.
1980-83 SCs all had A/C fitted as standard equipment. An SC from those years without A/C would have to be a special ordered A/C delete car (very rare) or a gray market car.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:28 PM
DSC928
Racer

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
1980-83 SCs all had A/C fitted as standard equipment. An SC from those years without A/C would have to be a special ordered A/C delete car (very rare) or a gray market car.
Really!?! That is interesting information. One car in particular that I am interested in is at a used car dealer. The salesman, who I could tell within minutes of our conversation knew nothing about 911's, told me that it didn't have A/C. It was definitely an USA car, I checked the vin through Porsche, and the options didn't include an "A/C delete".

Thanks!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:05 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

okay leyt's clear something up .. no SC actualy HAS AC .. some just claim too.. :-)

Russel the AC was terrible at best on SCs and many are in a box in garages .. cue Matts poster..

but with replacement hoses compressors and condensors it could work ... but the car suffers from too smal ducting to make it effective anyway... I think it could turn into an expensive project with minmal return.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 PM
DSC928
Racer

Originally Posted by theiceman
okay leyt's clear something up .. no SC actualy HAS AC .. some just claim too.. :-)

Russel the AC was terrible at best on SCs and many are in a box in garages .. cue Matts poster..

but with replacement hoses compressors and condensors it could work ... but the car suffers from too smal ducting to make it effective anyway... I think it could turn into an expensive project with minmal return.
I got that impression from searching the forum and reading some of the threads on SC-A/C. I don't mind doing some upgrade work, seems like some here have done that with decent results. I also don't need "limo" type A/C, just a little cool breeze to take the edge off.

So is it the '84 model year that gets the better or larger vents & ducts?

Thanks again, great information. (Isn't Rennlist cool)
Old 03-25-2008, 11:36 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

So is it the '84 model year that gets the better or larger vents & ducts?
From what I have read, actual functioning A/C really started only with the 964 model.

Here is the picture Ice was talking about.

There are numerous threads both here and on pelican about the different ways to retrofit different kinds of A/Cs in different cars. It is possible. Everyone has different results. This is one of those topics were a lot of searching will be of benefit.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:34 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Really!?! That is interesting information. One car in particular that I am interested in is at a used car dealer. The salesman, who I could tell within minutes of our conversation knew nothing about 911's, told me that it didn't have A/C. It was definitely an USA car, I checked the vin through Porsche, and the options didn't include an "A/C delete".
As mentioned above, most SCs (including mine) have had the engine compartment components removed, but usually the evaporator parts in the smugglers box, along with hoses, the receiver/dryer, and front condenser are all left untouched. The technician you choose to perform a PPI can advise you on this.

Larger dash vents first appeared on '86 Carreras. If you're short enough, under-dash vents are made that greatly improve airflow in the car, but I'm 6'3", and would leave part of my legs hanging from them as I operated the car.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

We saw larger ducts on the 1985 Carreras.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

MAtt that poster cracks me up every time I see it

Quick Reply: Retrofit A/C to a SC?