Update on my damaged Targa top

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update on my damaged Targa top

As some of you recall, a bit over a week ago I posted the confession of my gross stupidity. Yes, I drove my '89 Targa without having first latched the top.
Of course, the top flew off as I drove out of my development and was run over by three vehicles behind me. This left only one of the six cast frame pieces unbroken--not a pretty sight. After finding out the price of a brand new Targa top from Porsche (MSRP=$16,000), I followed the advice of some good folks here on Rennlist and started checking with dismantlers for a used top. One Rennlister, Panchosouth, actually located one from a '92 for $1500 in California at Silver Star Recycling. I called and purchased it, but there was concern expressed by some Rennlisters that it would not fit. Today I'm happy to report that it does fit. I needed to make some minor adjustments to the side windows (upper stop and inclination), but that was all. The top is in very, very nice condition, too. So once again I'm thankful to Rennlist and to the people who are so willing to help a fellow Porsche owner...even when he's done something stupid.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

These types of posts are a good reminder for me ... having a Targa myself and being the most absent minded person I know ... it is just a matter of time ... gald to hear it all worked out fine ....

I know it may be painfull to discuss but I do have a couple of questions. How did it happen. Did you not notice the levers not locked in place ? or do you remove yours. I have heard you should remove them and put them in the glovebox but I leave mine in place all the time. Also whenever I put the roof in I lock it down immediately. Any info on preventing me falling in the same trap you did would be greatly appreciated.

ice

Last edited by theiceman; 03-25-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: sp (what else ) !
Old 03-25-2008, 11:30 AM
elpresidente
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lose sleep over this possibility. Now with the weather changing and it being my first spring/summer with a Targa, I too am concerned that it will be inevitable. It's similar to that fear when you have your first child that you will to take the babyseat off the trunk before driving off.

Joe,
Have any pics of the new top?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:01 PM
old man neri
Drifting

Received 92 Likes on 56 Posts

Yup, I did it myself, thank god it didn't hurt anyone and it was undamaged.

Glad to hear it fits!
Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow! I didn't think so many of you would still be interested enough in my mishap to read and respond to my most recent post. Well, to answer your question, Iceman, I've been driving 911 Targas since
1969. I've always removed the latch handles as Porsche recommends. You'd think I'd have the drill down cold by now. What happened is that I went out to the garage about 7:00 AM that fateful Friday morning with intentions of getting an early workout at the gym. When I turned on the garage light, I noticed the 911 top was not on the car. I had taken it off the day before to enjoy an early spring day here in Charlotte. I then proceeded to remove the top from the trunk, unfold it, and then set it in place. As I opened the driver's door to get the handles out of the "oddment holder", I thought of something I had left behind in the house--a key to my godson's 944 which I promised to have duplicated. I went back in the house, got the key, and then got into the 911 and drove off without another thought about the top. STUPID, STUPID, STUPID. I'm never that absent minded and I do have a distinct routine with the Targa top. This was a fluke...I guess I just wasn't fully awake at the time. I'm sure it will not happen to me again. I will maintain my routine for Targa top installation from now on--no partial installations. It is my sincere hope that everyone reading this post will think of me each and every time they put the top on their car and thus avoids the same mishap. After all, something good should come out of this.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:14 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Well Joe I share your pain ... but more on that in a minute ... but I think i will take the following from your post...
I know you are suppose to remove the handles but I will continue to leave mine in place. It is a visual cue that all is not right. Plus the visors won't go up properly if the handles are not turned , so I f I miss all that I desevere it.....

I did something similarly absent minded in my audi ... I started it in the garage only to see my wallet sitting on a shelf. I hoped out of the Audi to go grab it leaving it idling and the door open ... we are talking about 5 seconds here .... I turned around to see the Audi backing out of the garage with the drivers door open. I could only watch in horror as the drivers door jammed against the centre pillar of the two door garage, slowly making my drivers door point forward .. a sound I will never forget of slowly bending steel and popping door panels ....

Last edited by theiceman; 03-27-2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: sp
Old 03-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Joe Rose
Addict
Rennlist Member

OMG, Iceman, that Audi experience was cetainly a bad one too. Let's hope others--and we, of course--take heed here and don't allow these things to happen again. I'm about to go out to the garage now and remove the salvageable parts from my old Targa top. Both front latches and some clips are still fine. The outside top material, I think, is also OK. The side seals are also undamaged. The agony from this whole event has now subsided enough for me to do this. The only pain I currently really feel is the $1500 used top charge on my credit card bill that I paid just yesterday. I guess it's a lingering reminder that stupidity can cost big bucks.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:50 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

all to true Joe .. but i tell those latches are worth good money ... you could certainly recoup some selling those ...
Old 03-27-2008, 02:51 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

PS .. come on Joe post a pic of your beat up roof ... i am sure Matt will make an excellent reminder poster out of it. :-)
Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 PM
rpmoore2
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for the message

I feel little better about my recent Targa Top purchase last week on eBay as a back up.

Anyway I'm still waiting on it so I'll see how it fits and looks. I'm crossing my fingers it's okay.

So thank you for the message and sorry for your expense. I learned something very important.
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2008, 10:46 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I would have called my Insurance agent and filed a claim to try and get the new one for 16K.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:23 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
I would have called my Insurance agent and filed a claim to try and get the new one for 16K.
The insurance company would have totaled out his Targa...

John
Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

..and dropped him off the policy .....
Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

You're both right.

Pardon the stupidity
Old 03-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Flukes happen to all people eventually. Nothing you can do about it. Glad to hear that you found a very nice top for $1500.

Quick Reply: Update on my damaged Targa top