Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cheaper alternative for the bearing behind the collar nut on the trans input shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those exhaust studs are really stuck in there. Is there an easy way to get them out or does it come to drilling or welding a bolt on and torching them out?

I was told that the allen nuts are not necessary and hex nuts can be made to work on all studs. I have not looked into it myself but I intend too.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

well houpty .. go back and read post number 18 !!now you know what I am talking about ..
This is is my opinion the toughest Job. There are oodles and oodles of posts here and on pelican. But from what I have read .. heat and patience, penetrant does dick as far as I have heard.

get map gas propane won't be hot enough , i think they sell combo kits with a small nozzle, ( ithink it is a propane tank and a smal oxygen tank ) you need to get the nut cherry red. I have heard people cycling the nut cherry red 2 or 3 times before they even start to turn. if you do bust one there are some nice jigs out there for drilling it out so it is not the end of the world.

Good luck .
Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Houpty GT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
well houpty .. go back and read post number 18 !!now you know what I am talking about ..
This is is my opinion the toughest Job. There are oodles and oodles of posts here and on pelican. But from what I have read .. heat and patience, penetrant does dick as far as I have heard.

get map gas propane won't be hot enough , i think they sell combo kits with a small nozzle, ( ithink it is a propane tank and a smal oxygen tank ) you need to get the nut cherry red. I have heard people cycling the nut cherry red 2 or 3 times before they even start to turn. if you do bust one there are some nice jigs out there for drilling it out so it is not the end of the world.

Good luck .
Ice, You keep mixing up you exhaust studs and head studs and exhaust nuts and exhaust studs.

I got the nuts off with out too much trouble. 3 studs ended up breaking so I need to fix these. I decided I wanted to go to stainless steel so it would not be a problem again. The only thing is that you need to get all of the old studs out. I have all the heads apart so I should not really need a jig. I assume those are to help people drill them out with the engine in the car. I have never seen one. Bruce Anderson's 911 Performance Handbook had a short blurp on removing the exhaust studs but I was hoping to find a better way. Aren't we all?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,142 Likes on 816 Posts

no we are definitely talking exhaust studs here.. !. the jig is to make sure you drill perfectly straight without damaging the threads in the head. it is easy to do . youe certainly right that it is easier to do outsie of the car abut I would certainly take it to a machine shop
Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree completely with ice, a machine shop geared up to do 911 cylinder head repairs will have a fixture for their vertical mill. The fixture will hold the head solid and vertical so an end mill can be used to take those studs out with a minimum of effort and no mistakes.

Quick Reply: Cheaper alternative for the bearing behind the collar nut on the trans input shaft?