Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 84_Carrera
Awesome Pete.

"Getting pulled out of the chair honey..."

I got Linda to do Lime Rock once or twice, and a couple of autocrosses (in my Automatic SHO). She spun coming through the downhill onto the front straight at LRP, shook her up, but she got back out there after.

Nice video!
I had the same experience my first time as a passenger in a 911 around that same track. In fact, it was a full racing prepped 911 with roll bar, 5 point harness and I was worrying about holding my food down. It was at a day at the track paid for by a former client of mine with POC trainers. It was probably 18 years ago now. Blew my mind. I had no idea the violence that they threw those cars around turns with, and how much they worked the steering wheel.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:10 AM
bleachii
Advanced

Wunderschön Pete! The sound of that first 911 blowing down the front straight just before 5 minutes gave me goosebumps.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite nice,...more, more, more.

Best,
Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
madmmac
Instructor

Thanks Pete...Here's a link to multiple tapes....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=all

Sorry, I could not find nothing on DVD.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:11 PM
WitchDoctor
Racer

Now, If I thought my woman would squeal with excitement like that from a ride in my 911, I'd be down at the track tomorrow!

(Did I say that?)
Old 03-16-2008, 09:37 AM
DL Lawrence
Instructor

Very cool! Thanks, Pete. Love those in car lap-the-track videos. Man, it would sure be great if my girlfriend enjoyed motorsport as much as your wife does. My gal's a "high speed freaker-outer". Keep 'em coming!
Old 03-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Pete are you still racing with POC or PRC?
I had major shoulder surgery a few years ago, but I had a chance to drive a race car at Streets of Willow after that. I did about 40 competitive laps, and could hardly move my arm the next morning, or well into the following week, so that was it for me. Thanks for asking!

To the rest of you, I'm really glad that the technology is available to be able to allow me to share this old footage, and it's even more rewarding to know that it's being enjoyed. Cheers!
Old 03-16-2008, 05:16 PM
quicksilver
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DL Lawrence
Very cool! Thanks, Pete. Love those in car lap-the-track videos. Man, it would sure be great if my girlfriend enjoyed motorsport as much as your wife does. My gal's a "high speed freaker-outer". Keep 'em coming!
My wife doesn't squeal and she doesn't freak out. She is in some weird zone in the middle which allows her to fall asleep at 135...

Fun video Pete.
Did they have someone driving your car for 'background fill', did you drive it or what?
Old 03-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DARISC
That was great Pete! You should give your brave wife an Oscar for her narration! She could not only put it on the mantle, but could also use it to process some tasty track snacks come next race day (oooh, I'm such a sexist ).
We just realized as I was reading this comment to Kate she was in the kitchen mixing up the ingredients for brownies! Needless to say, we had a good laugh!!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Nice video, Pete, and nice camera work and narration by your wife! When was this footage filmed? I got to run WSIR for the first time last month in my 951, in the rain! It was a bit hair-raising to say the least, especially when it would first start raining again after the track dried out (this happened about 3 times that day), and it was very slippery. I only had the ***** to go 90 or so through turn 8 in the wet!

Anyway I hope you dig up more vids like that to post!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:45 AM
Batman 357
Instructor

That was cool. Thanks Again.....
Old 03-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by quicksilver
Fun video Pete.Did they have someone driving your car for 'background fill', did you drive it or what?
No, that was the cool part - we all got to drive our own cars! I think (biased, of course) that the best scene in the movie was the opener. The director had us come out of Turn 9, at speed, onto the straight in the two car per row formation normally used by SCCA. They had a camera set up in the middle of the track, and just before we got to it we had to switch positions (the cars on the right had to move to the left of the track and the cars on the left had to move to the right). It was pretty corny, we didn't wipe out the camera, and after it was edited it looked pretty cool.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:15 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Thanks Pete

John
Old 03-17-2008, 03:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Now that was pretty cool .... seeing an SC go like that ... Thanks Pete
Old 03-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Droops83
Nice video, Pete, and nice camera work and narration by your wife! When was this footage filmed? I got to run WSIR for the first time last month in my 951, in the rain! It was a bit hair-raising to say the least, especially when it would first start raining again after the track dried out (this happened about 3 times that day), and it was very slippery. I only had the ***** to go 90 or so through turn 8 in the wet!
Thanks, Chris, the footage was taken in Dec '96. Willow Springs will earn a warm place in your heart, but it'll take a while for you to get used to the speed. If you don't mind a suggestion, tape over your speedo from here on - it's too great a temptation to glance down! I've done thousands of miles on the big track, and my most incredible memory of the place wasn't even in a car - it was watching one! We were there on an open practice Friday when a big, white, semi pulls in. Out of the trailer comes, largely in pieces, an open-wheeled race car. I discover that I'm standing twenty feet away from the Williams F1 team assembling Alan Jones' F1 car for a shake down before the Long Beach GP!!! Jones got in the car, did a recon lap, the team checked the car over, and out he went. In less than five laps he did a 1:09.00!!! At that time I had not seen anyone go quicker than about 1:26.00 - no wonder the guy was a world champ! You should have seen that car go through turn 8, must have been pushing 200 - 210, WOW!

Quick Reply: TA-DAAA!